Driving With Traction Control Off

That's hyper mile ing , not hyper milling.

There are ppl that have the money to drive to the max, and ppl that don't.............. I fall into the "Don't".......... I use to be in a position years ago where how much I spent on gas and tyres didn't matter, and it's fun to enjoy it.

But now that I'm in the conservative position I have found it's different but not necessary a negative, and I'm not going to try and talk others out of their fun......... Just be safe.

I do find getting the best mileage out of my car is a challenge now since I need the money anyway. In a earlier post I did keep my mileage above 40mpg for a tank(1.8 engine), which I thought was pretty good considering some of these test mag. drivers couldn't get that much.

Also when living in England and buying gas on base at 23 cents a gallon, I could drive all over the UK at whatever speed I wanted(out of towns), great fun. I had my time and there are more nuts on the roads now days(texting), not to mention deer, so I'm learning to enjoy the other things my car has to offer. Automatic, such as it is, and all these gadgets.

What you say makes a lot of sense. There's times to save and there's times to waste a little, I've been in both places and I definitely hear and feel what you're saying.

What you say makes a lot of sense. There's times to save and there's times to waste a little, I've been in both places and I definitely hear and feel what you're saying.

Of course I keep forgetting to mention I still have a sport mc that gets 40/50 mpg and I use that to get my jollies(even at age 68).

Thank you for bringing some balls to the conversation. The other poster may or may not have an Si. Hyper-mileing is driving extravagantly slowly . . . it's eco- freindly, so as to eke out every drop of energy from a gallon of gas . . . it's drafting cars and trucks ahead of you by crawling up their asses and staying plastered to their bumpers with a mean face and white knuckles; it's coasting on flats and downhill, to the annoyance of every other car behind, as they have to ride their brakes to avoid hitting you; it's coasting from 55mph down to whatever, let's say 3mph (?) when you see a red light off in the distance, so that you don't "waste" gas driving the speed limit up to the light, only to stop and "waste" more gas getting back up to speed. Yeah, it's coasting for a minute or so until the light changes to green way up ahead of you. That's hypermileing. It may be somebody's idea of a good time, but to my mind, it's a totally selfish, idiotic way to drive a sports car. But, hey, if you're out in the middle of nowhere, do what you want. But not around otheres. I don't want to be stuck behind someone who's coasting to a light going 10mph in the fast lane. Does anyone? Hypermileing is just not on my radar . . . not the reason I bought an Si. Sheesh. Why did I by an Si??? Because driving it like I stole it will still net me @25mpg, instead of 13 to 15 in the v8s I grew up with . . . and with gas at $3.80 a gallon, I can still have some fun in a car. Yup. A good deal of fun, too.
I completely agree. I drive my car hard more than I don't. I'm all for less money for gas, however not at the expense of other drivers. From what I've read so far on hypermiling its a dumb practice imo. It can to easily create more danger in a car that needs to be. When your riding peoples asses (illegal), driving to slow for traffic (illegal), coasting to red lights (illegal, no brake lights on), speeding up too slowly (illegal), you're endangering everyone. Most of it falls under obstructing traffic. And how do you think other people are going to drive when they are paying more attention to what you're doing than the other things on the road. Imo keeping with the flow of traffic is the most important part of driving. Now if your alone on a road so be it, do what you want. But not when others are in traffic with you. Concerned about gas mileage? Get a vehicle designed for maximum mileage (think prius or hybrid) and go with what you get. If you still can't afford the gas, get a bike (motorcycle or bicycle) or use public transportation. Hypermiling in an Si makes just as much sense as buying an an srt8 for gas mileage. That's my take on it.

Hypermiling to those extremes reminds me of people that drive 30 miles one way to get gas for few cents cheaper. I guess everything in moderation can be applied here as well. Proper tire pressure, smooth slower accelerations can give you a very good mpg without going to extremes.

True so long as you keep up with the flow of traffic. And I know someone who does drive too far to save on gas in his v8 truck. I just laugh at him lol :D

I completely agree. I drive my car hard more than I don't. I'm all for less money for gas, however not at the expense of other drivers. From what I've read so far on hypermiling its a dumb practice imo. It can to easily create more danger in a car that needs to be. When your riding peoples asses (illegal), driving to slow for traffic (illegal), coasting to red lights (illegal, no brake lights on), speeding up too slowly (illegal), you're endangering everyone. Most of it falls under obstructing traffic. And how do you think other people are going to drive when they are paying more attention to what you're doing than the other things on the road. Imo keeping with the flow of traffic is the most important part of driving. Now if your alone on a road so be it, do what you want. But not when others are in traffic with you. Concerned about gas mileage? Get a vehicle designed for maximum mileage (think prius or hybrid) and go with what you get. If you still can't afford the gas, get a bike (motorcycle or bicycle) or use public transportation. Hypermiling in an Si makes just as much sense as buying an an srt8 for gas mileage. That's my take on it.

Amen.

I don't care much for the traction control on cars now. But it all depends on when your driving. When it's 4:30am and I'm going to work I don't care, but when you want to do a bit of spirited driving its nice to be able to turn it off.

Hypermiling to those extremes reminds me of people that drive 30 miles one way to get gas for few cents cheaper. I guess everything in moderation can be applied here as well. Proper tire pressure, smooth slower accelerations can give you a very good mpg without going to extremes.

You are very correct about folks driving 30 miles to another gas station just to save a few pennies. I am like dude you already SPENT that savings by going there. lol

It's just how some people are despite how illogical it is.

Yeah your right. Extremes aren't needed or safe. And moderation can be applied to an extent, just depends on what traffic is doing around you. From what I've read though people are getting competitive on it so people are going to go to extremes :(

Not that it's going to ever happen, but if ppl would drive in the proper lanes it wouldn't be a problem what speed anyone is going(ie; the German Autobahn), of course this requires paying attention to what you're doing, also when driving on steets with traffic pulling off & on, if ppl would stay in the right lane unless passing or making a left turn it would allow ppl to go around cars that are slower than you. Some of the problems with ppl using the left lane as their personal cruise lane, is that the ppl that "are" correctly using the right lane can become hidden from cars coming the other way making a left turn. Another is that it creates cluster/pack driving, which in turn keeps ppl from being able to pass and starts a dangerous driving mind-set(now known as aggressive driving). I never really thought about it until I lived(drove) in England for 3 years where ppl would drive properly(and at speed), and everything worked the way the rules of the road were written.

Hmm, good point. One of my biggest pet peaves is just that. I drive every day for work and am constantly telling people that slower traffic keep right sign has nothing to do with the speed limit. If someone is trying to go faster than you at any speed move over :mad:

Another one that I'd like is that the license plates have our cell phone numbers, then we could call and tell them to move the f over. :turbobananapoke:
Awesome idea. I just wouldn't want mine. Can you imagine all the phone calls I would get from people mad I passed them lol.

I always leave it on but it only comes off when im on a mission to take somebody out that thinks my si is slow lol....
what i like is that you can shut it off on the fly :vtec:

I believe my best launch could be achieved leaving it on through first and turning it off right before I shift. It allows first to pull harder for me but it bogs shifting to second when my tires chirp. Sadly I'm not quick enough to disable it like that lol.

I believe my best launch could be achieved leaving it on through first and turning it off right before I shift. It allows first to pull harder for me but it bogs shifting to second when my tires chirp. Sadly I'm not quick enough to disable it like that lol.
Keep one hand on the shifter, and the other on the button, and the other on the wheel. Or are you a earthling ?

Most of the time its when im already rolling so ill shut it off at the gear im in pop the clutch blip the gas down shift really quick and if its done right the tires will screech alil and im gone ! lol usually when they hear my tires screech while rolling it makes them nervous so they dont want it after lol

The funny thing is other hondas dont come after me if they see me its always gti ,turboed mazdas, bmw's and TC's for some aparent reason lol
other honda lovers catch up and give me the :thumbsup: and cruis with me till i have to make a turn then honk goodbye lol

Back