Health/Fitness Routines?

i thought body pump was a bit of a joke before i went the first time, they use so little weight compared to what i would do out in the gym. But the reps, slow reps and stuff they do kills you

8oHc3.jpg

these guys have anything to do with the class?

i thought body pump was a bit of a joke before i went the first time, they use so little weight compared to what i would do out in the gym. But the reps, slow reps and stuff they do kills you

This! I've done that class a few times.. It's TOUGH!

Monday: Back/Biceps/Abs/pig out

Tuesday: Chest/Triceps/Legs/pig out

Wednesday: Shoulders/Abs/pig out

Thursday: Back/Biceps/Legs/pig out

Friday: Chest/Triceps/Abs/pig out

Saturday: Shoulder/Legs/pig out

Sunday: Break/pig out

Everyday: abs
M: chest/arms
T: back/ shoulders
W: chest/arms
Th: back/shoulders
F: chest/arms

I hate running so none of that!!! And since im trying to gain weight, i eat everything in sight everyday!

You forgot to add 'pig out'. :giggle:

I'm not even aiming to gain weight. I want to be lean, but I want to eat a lot at the same time. Which is why I do legs and abs. I also do legs bc it increases hormones. I don't run. I mostly do squats, light weight dead lifts, jumping lunges, burpees, and calve workouts.

I've been absolutely faithful to my routine, and progressing nicely. I have also been behaving completely on food. I've lost about 13 pounds so far, and would like to lose another 15 pounds. At the rate I'm going, I should be there in about 10 weeks.

Probably by the time I'm at the Dragon, I'll be 25-30 pounds lighter than I was the last time I was there. :excited:

So I do a 1+hour routine on MWF sometimes Saturday. I have a (sadistic) trainer that keeps me honest every Monday. Workout is a combination of upper/lower body circuit combining weights and cardio for the first half. I feel like I'm on the verge of a cardiac arrest. The second half is more concentrated weights for upper/lower. I finish doing 6 core/ab exercises, then some stretches.

I don't mess around, and by the end I'm drenched in sweat. :bleh:

If you're sweating, you're doing it right. I usually see people in the gym that takes 2-3 min breaks between sets wasting time by looking at their phones or the mirror. They don't break a sweat at all. Lol.

Yeah, I notice that too at my gym. I figure they're not there to exercise so much as socialize.

I do notice other older people (like me) who are in really great condition (not like me yet), who provide incentive every time I see them.

A friend of mine from college lost 25lbs in 15 weeks.
189874_10200129232097784_1893530431_n.jpg

This is quite a good read.
I want to tell you my story.

I was always an active and fit person. I ran track (indoor, outdoor, and cross country) and lifted weights all throughout high school and therefore did not care what or how much I ate. After high school, I stopped running but I continued to lift religiously upon entering college. Neil Gallares and I pushed each other so hard and we experienced massive strength and mass gains – our clothes no longer fit. However, as the college workload increased, the frequency of my gym attendance decreased while I ate the same amount making me top out at a whopping 212 lbs (via Qdoba) aka #gotfat.

I tried on and off to lose the weight with partial success (Insanity, P90X, Starting Strength, Sports, Lifting, Portion Control, Low Calorie, Intermittent Fasting, you name it) but the discipline I used to have was not tangible for me anymore. I was armed from head to toe with excuses for not going to the gym: schoolwork for my undergraduate and graduate courses, my co-ops and internships, girlfriend, and my “ain’t nobody got time for that” attitude. In my senior year, the gym became a distant memory for me and I poured my energy into graduating and getting a job. This apathy towards exercise and dieting carried over to my post graduate life.

Around the end of February 2013, my friends and girlfriend took our annual trip to the Poconos and some of us decided to go snowboarding. I found myself struggling to do my bindings because my lord gloom belly (http://pbfcomics.com/131/) got in the way. On top of that, I was out of breath and sweaty by the time I was ready to BEGIN going down the mountain...

I realized that I wasn't able to enjoy certain activities as much because of the physical state I was in – and to top it off, it was a huge blow to my confidence. I told myself – this **** ain’t right… I want to, NAY, NEED to relive my former days of glory and regain the discipline that I could not grasp. I set my goal not just to go back to ye olde days of high school being lean and fit but to be better, faster, and stronger than I EVER was in my past life.

I made the decision to quit cigarettes (a couple of months before). I made the decision to start exercise. I made the decision diet. It was a step by step process to make the change but this time, I was going to stick with it no matter what. Yes, it was hard for me to get my *** up to go to the gym after a long day of work but the hardest part for me was the diet. My stomach, which was spoiled thrice daily with unnecessary amounts food, wept tears of hunger and groaned for a binge session every waking hour. And then I thought, why must I obey my body’s petty cries for that beautifully plump burrito with Cholula or six slices (Samuel’s Serving Size) of that meat lover’s pizza? I made up my mind that I would become the master of myself.

I swore I would do everything it takes (legally and healthily) to shape my body to 'perfection'. Not just for physical appearance but to get rid of any remnants of past injuries: herniated lower back disc, dislocated shoulder, sprained ankle, misaligned hip, etc. I promised I would do my research and take feedback from other knowledgeable gym-folk to perform every exercise with precise form. I set ambitious but realistic goals for myself and always followed an exercise / diet plan. This time, I was going to do it right.

Now I do not know what the future holds for me but I have high hopes for myself and others who are in the same shoes as I am, or was. Neil was in the same fat boat as me and provided invaluable advice (and reprimand when I binged or attempted to) - you'll see his results shortly. Robert Quinn gave me insight that helped me discover my weaknesses so that I could rectify and fortify them for good. These two played a large role in my success. I am proud of myself so far and I am surprised at what my body is capable of. I hope this story may encourage others to join me in striving for perfection.

Below is the timeline of my progress with links, numbers, and words:

02/25/2013
Begin Starting Strength - http://startingstrength.wikia.com/
Body Weight (BW): 208.6 lbs
3 x 5 Weights for Big 3 Lifts: Squat 190 lbs, Bench 170 lbs, Deadlift 225 lbs (1 x 5)

03/18/2013
Begin Carb Back-Loading (CBL) - http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/carb-backloading-to-get-lean

05/02/2013
End Starting Strength
3 x 5 Weights for Big 3 Lifts: Squat 310 lbs, Bench 240 lbs, Deadlift 355 lbs (1 x 5)

05/04/2013
1 Rep Max (RM) Checkpoint
BW: 196.4 lbs
1 RM Weights for Big 3 Lifts: Squat 345 lbs, Bench 285 lbs, Deadlift 405 lbs

05/06/2013
Begin Juggernaut Method – http://www.articles.elitefts.com/articles/programs/origin-of-the-juggernaut-method/
Begin Carb-Nite-Solution (CNS) - http://www.fatsecret.com/diets/member-diet/Default.aspx?dietid=3442149

06/14/2013
Today
BW: 183.6 lbs

06/29/2013
Projected End CNS and continue CBL
Projected BW: 180.0 lbs

08/17/2013
Projected End Juggernaut Method

08/24/2013
1 RM Checkpoint
Projected 1 RM Weights for Big 3 Lifts: Squat 400 lbs, Bench 325+ lbs, Deadlift 450+ lbs

End of Year 1RM Goals: Squat 450+ lbs, Bench 350+ lbs, Deadlift 500+ lbs

After that, I think I want to maintain strength at that level and increase the reps. Maybe I'll pick up MMA to see what I can do with this added strength.

Not even magic spinach. Lol.

About 3 times a week, Run 1-2 miles, bike 30-60 mins, and lift whatever I feel like. And lift free weights, do push ups/pull ups on the days I'm not doing cardio.

I'd really like to get a set lifting routine but it's just tough to do by yourself. Not that it's tough, just a lot less fun :giggle:

My target weight is 155lbs. I was 155 before I started college. When I graduated, I was 165. Currently, I am 170lbs. And that's since I did routine workouts. :bleh: I definitely gained some muscle mass, but I'm sure I can lose 5-10lbs of fat.

Back