stormCIVIC fg3

@Pauly99to17 @webby @Nix
do you guys know if the HPS short ram intake is anygood? thats it below. im really thinking about jumping on this one. just kind of want to get rid of the air box. by the way. this is $180. if you guys can think of a better intake for cheaper or similar price then let me know
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I have the same one on my car. It ran worse than the drop in filter with the resonator pulled until I got flash pro. You wouldn't think it would be such a difference, especially on this engine, but yea, it really needs FP to run right. That said, I think it's a fine intake but.... look at the filter location. Right behind the battery with 0 air flow. Yes, you'll never hydrolock with a short ram but man, my car ran worse with this on than without. I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the intake though. It is nice and loud though! I like that.

My current setup is the P2R TBS and this intake with FP. Runs great and you will notice the difference. I thought the drop in panel with the resonator was just as effective if you don't have FP.

See that black plastic pipe to the left of the battery? Thats the stock resonator piping. It can pull from lower down in the bay and with the high filter location you really won't have to worry about hydrolocking the engine.

I did a battery relocate with a custom box to free up all that space in front of the intake. Totally worth doing. I should take a pic of my engine bay so you can see what I mean.

Short answer - Its a good intake. I like mine.

EDIT: I did not realize how bad the car was running until after I got FP. I could not believe it, especially on this car. I am only running a base map and have not gotten actually "tuned" yet.

Anybody heard of J2? They have a catback exhaust for r18 coupe I'm looking at. It looks nice and also it's very inexpensive. Just thinking it would be an upgrade for my muffler only exhaust. I'm only running a flowmaster 40 delta flow muffler. And I'm wanting a little more loudness. And think this might do the trick. Don't want raspy

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 10
nice ride! i like the projectors. but yeah J2 is just a lesser known brand haven't heard their praises but at the same time nothing bad has been said about them either.

I have the same one on my car. It ran worse than the drop in filter with the resonator pulled until I got flash pro. You wouldn't think it would be such a difference, especially on this engine, but yea, it really needs FP to run right. That said, I think it's a fine intake but.... look at the filter location. Right behind the battery with 0 air flow. Yes, you'll never hydrolock with a short ram but man, my car ran worse with this on than without. I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the intake though. It is nice and loud though! I like that.

My current setup is the P2R TBS and this intake with FP. Runs great and you will notice the difference. I thought the drop in panel with the resonator was just as effective if you don't have FP.

See that black plastic pipe to the left of the battery? Thats the stock resonator piping. It can pull from lower down in the bay and with the high filter location you really won't have to worry about hydrolocking the engine.

I did a battery relocate with a custom box to free up all that space in front of the intake. Totally worth doing. I should take a pic of my engine bay so you can see what I mean.
so the question is how much worse does it make it. because i dont want to lose a bunch of power from this intake. because im not going to buy FP till after christmas. im going to save and buy along the way the intake, downpipe, and TBS. and i also might do the catback exhaust i posted from J2.

Reactions: Nix
Got my ROTM trophy in today from procivic. its my new sirimoto phase 2 front lower tie bar. and man it makes a difference. as all my r18 owners know the steering feel is very numb in our cars. there is hardly any feedback at all. but with this you can feel some tension when turning the wheel. and the car just feels so much more talkative in the corners. it actually lets you know what is going on now. for all of you. if you dont have this cheap $69 upgrade. go get it. you wont regret it. its a nice feel. also extremely easy to install. i used my car jack that is in the trunk and just jacked on the middle front jack point. took bolts off and then put the bar on. supposed to torque to 75LB but i dont have a torque wrench so i just guessed for the time being till i go see my friend who is a mechanic.
13590322_10208642985409857_8883105408227511366_n.jpg

so the question is how much worse does it make it. because i dont want to lose a bunch of power from this intake

It wasn't so much a loss of power as it was noticeable hesitation and occasional stutters. Just some odd stuff like that. There is definitely a very noticeable increase in power with fp and even just the base map.

At just over 3k rpm you can actually feel the difference.

It wasn't so much a loss of power as it was noticeable hesitation and occasional stutters. Just some odd stuff like that. There is definitely a very noticeable increase in power with fp and even just the base map.

At just over 3k rpm you can actually feel the difference.
Well that's not that bad. I'll probably get the intake soon and I'm going to wait and get FP after Christmas. I'm going to get all the performance parts now and then tune after Christmas

It's bad when you are stopped and press the gas and nothing happens. I've had that in a car, and I' guessing that is what nix is talking about. It's like the gas pedal doesn't respond/hesitates at random without warning. It can be dangerous when you're trying to get out in traffic and stuff and the car doesn't go.

so today I have purchased a Sirimoto phase 2 strut bar. cant wait to get it on and experience more steering feel and feedback. @L.Doggyz has one and so I said what the heck might as well try it.

Last edited:
I mever had anything really bad happen like webby described but, occasionally i would hit the gas and it was like there was very little power until - BAM! It kicked back in like normal. I didn't realize how bad it was until it was gone.

The intake sounds good though. Ill give it that. You dont even need to pay for a tune right away. The SRI basemap fixed a lot of those issues.

I mever had anything really bad happen like webby described but, occasionally i would hit the gas and it was like there was very little power until - BAM! It kicked back in like normal. I didn't realize how bad it was until it was gone.

The intake sounds good though. Ill give it that. You dont even need to pay for a tune right away. The SRI basemap fixed a lot of those issues.
I'm thinking of getting Ktune instead of flash pro. They sell it on rv6 website. It's also $200 cheaper and looks to do the same as FP. Anybody have any feedback on Ktune?

Im really thinking hard about this. i can get a brand new painted si style spoiler for $149. but the thing is. will it look ugly. I really like the looks of this. does anyone have any photos of a lx-ex with this spoiler. or... would this be a first?

s-l1600.jpg

@webby @Pauly99to17 @Nix
Question. So I removed the pipe that is attached to the air box that travels under the battery to the little snorkel. And it sounds so much better now. I realize it's taking in warm air opposed to cool air now. So essentially it is a short ram intake like the HPS I was looking at getting. They both do the same thing. This is fine right? It's probably pretty common people do this on these cars too.

Reactions: Nix
Nah, you did the right thing. If anything its taking in cooler air from further forward in the bay. The resonator box connector you removed had a very high intake position up in the engine bay. I ran with a K&N panel filter and the resonator pulled for a long time. I got better throttle response but not much else. Definitely worth doing, I think, and its basically free.

What you should do is leave the pipe attached to the front of the air box and remove everything underneath it. Leave #8, the elbow pipe out the front of the air box and the section below it. Saw off the box at the bottom and you effectively have a CAI that can't hydrolock.

Heres a pic: Leave #8 and the section after it. There is not number on it but the section from gasket #10 to the box. Cut it off at the box and BAM! Free CAI. That is what I would do. If you removed #8, put it back and get rid of the rest but it sounds like you have already noticed how much better it is with the rest of that crap gone.

ad8aac94c6ce0bd7082e73a538a60402.gif

Back