USB Audio Capacity?

I am having this problem... My 32gb USB is recognized and it plays music through my stereo, but it only recognizes 255 songs when I try to select a song. It doesn't go any higher than 255 when it is on shuffle either. Suggestions?

Break them down into folders. All of my MP3s are stored by album names.

Break them down into folders. All of my MP3s are stored by album names.

I'll try that. I saw in the manual a picture showing selecting a music file that was in the 4,000's. I thought that mine should be able to add well.

To do a quick test, I made a folder for each letter of the alphabet and then filed the music by the group name. I can now "random all" to get all of the music or go to a specific letter and select who I want to listen to. If I get bored, I may do it by album name or even group.

I put one too many 0's on my post above... On page 168 of the owners manual, it shows selecting a file in a sub-folder that is 455... not sure why mine wont go that high, but at least I can listen to all of my music now.

Thanks!

My PNY 8GB does not work. It is recognized, but says no data.

I am having this problem... My 32gb USB is recognized and it plays music through my stereo, but it only recognizes 255 songs when I try to select a song. It doesn't go any higher than 255 when it is on shuffle either. Suggestions?

This exactly for me two, I've tried a 16GB USB drive and a 16GB Micro SDHC plugged into a USB adaptor and both work but only get 255 songs to show up on the IMID display. What is wrong? Both are FAT32 formatted.

This exactly for me two, I've tried a 16GB USB drive and a 16GB Micro SDHC plugged into a USB adaptor and both work but only get 255 songs to show up on the IMID display. What is wrong? Both are FAT32 formatted.

I ended up making a separate folder for each letter of the alphabet. Then I put each artist in a folder an that works. I don't know why I had to do this as it contradicts the info in the owners manual, but it works.

fat16 has a 255 file limit per directory. I don't recall what fat32 was, but it's pretty high (regardless, I have hit the fat32 limit when I was backing up a lot of emails, once - so it is possible, it's not some insane theoretical 2billion figure :p).

SYMPTOM

In my microcontroller application I store multiple files into the root folder of a SD memory card which is formatted as FAT16. I know that the FAT16 file system limits the number of files in the root folder to 512 but I cannot create more than 255 files. Are there reasons why?

CAUSE
It is correct that the maximum number of file in the root folder of a FAT16 file system is 512. This applies to files with 8.3 filenames. As soon as you use longer filenames, the maximum number decreases to at least 255 or even less depending on the length of the filenames. This is a restriction of the FAT16 file system, not a restriction of FlashFS.

Please note:
RL-ARM FlashFS handles filenames as 8.3 only when the length is not exceeded and when all characters of the filename are all either uppercase or all lowercase. FlashFS then converts the filename to all uppercase characters.

When a filename contains upper- and lower-case characters, the filename must be considered as a 'long' filename and the maximum number of files in the root folder decreases significantly.

RESOLUTION

In order to use the maximum number of files possible or to bypass this limit, you can do the following things:
  • Use 8.3 filenames with only uppercase characters in the filenames to create up to 512 files in the root folder.
  • Create the files in a sub-folder rather than in the root folder
  • Use FAT32 instead

I have my thumb drive formatted for FAT32, no bueno with more than 255. So the sub folder fix is working for me.

Took forever to sort 16 GB of songs into A-Z folders by artist but I just got done, about to go out to the car and see if it works.

No just a lot of random music, I listen to every genre, country, rap, techno, rock, metal, pop. I have about 60 GB on my PC, I'm hoping to get a 64 or 128 gb flash drive and put my entire collection in the car. I generally just listen to my music on random/shuffle all.

Took forever to sort 16 GB of songs into A-Z folders by artist but I just got done, about to go out to the car and see if it works.

It should long as each folder does not exceed 254 files each. I am old school when it comes to computers and this sort of thing is pain in the butt. It's not an issue with 32 bit file systems but 16 bit and lower it causes all kinds of problems with large file sizes and number of files.

I suspect Honda didn't include the necessary libraries to properly handle 32bit file systems so they kept to the true and tried files system format which is 16 bit. It's not end of the world but at least the folder solution took care of this mess.

Yeah it works now, looks like the same thing won't pop up as it gives a random song from a random folder each time. It doesn't happen very often on my phone or mp3 player.

I'm more upset that I had to look for the solution online rather than the manual just explaining that.

totally trolling on this tread from years ago lol but i have a question
I have a flash drive in my car with separate folders for each artist and formatted correctly and all that jazz. it works just fine when I'm searching through the folders but I prefer to just random all the usb and let it do it's thing. I have noticed that the car is only randoming the first half or so of the USB folders. I've seen the 255 limit repeated in this thread and elsewhere so if I took every "A" artist and put it in an "A" folder and so on would it actually pick up all my songs and random them? I right now only have a little over 100 folders but 5000 some odd songs total.
just sucks cause most of my favorite artists are later in the alphabet lol

Back