Health/Fitness Routines?

I could have been able to dunk if I did any resistance leg exercises in high school. All I did was run laps and suicides. I was a quick dude. I played basketball with a few old friends a couple of months ago and they asked me where my quickness went...

I'm trying to target 155lbs and be able to get back what I had in high school. So I took a break with lifting weights and started to focus more on my core and legs. I started running again last monday and I was able to run about 2 miles straight. The only problem I'm having is shin splints. I need to run more to strengthen my shin muscles so they wouldn't tense up.

I could have been able to dunk if I did any resistance leg exercises in high school. All I did was run laps and suicides. I was a quick dude. I played basketball with a few old friends a couple of months ago and they asked me where my quickness went...

I'm trying to target 155lbs and be able to get back what I had in high school. So I took a break with lifting weights and started to focus more on my core and legs. I started running again last monday and I was able to run about 2 miles straight. The only problem I'm having is shin splints. I need to run more to strengthen my shin muscles so they wouldn't tense up.

lol exactly the same here, again.

My entire game revolved around my quickness, since I didn't have a great shot or size. I had to be able to get in the lane. I played on a rec league team a few months ago, which is the first time I've played competitively in quite a while, and it was terrible how much less effective I was.

My shins are what hurt the most, especially after I finished my first week of HIIT. They're about healed up now.

2 miles is about all I could run straight, if that :giggle: I'd say you're at a pretty good starting point.

I need to do whatever you two are doing...
i'm 6'2" and can only touch 9.5' rim :(
I need to lose this extra weight and strengthen my core more...
what do you do for core exercises?

btw, I find it strange that I can leg press over 300 lbs but can't jump that high...

btw, I find it strange that I can leg press over 300 lbs but can't jump that high...

No offense but 300 isn't all that much. No disrespect or anything. Leg press at your size on the sled you should be doing double that, easily too. You are talking about LEG PRESS and not squats right?? If its squats you're talking of then you're right on par! I'm 6' @ 195lbs and leg pressing 640 no problem so you could do that, if your joints are ok that is! Like I said no disrespect, but if my words offend you, sorry, but hopefully they motivate you!

Lifting heavy weights actually slows you down. It is the same reason why many boxers don't lift very heavy weights. It makes them slower and also makes their punches slower. I would suggest cutting your weights by half and working out in a faster motion or including your leg workouts with jump roping, jump lunges (weights optional), jumping squats (weights optional), and sprinting/running suicides.

No offense but 300 isn't all that much. No disrespect or anything. Leg press at your size on the sled you should be doing double that, easily too. You are talking about LEG PRESS and not squats right?? If its squats you're talking of then you're right on par! I'm 6' @ 195lbs and leg pressing 640 no problem so you could do that, if your joints are ok that is! Like I said no disrespect, but if my words offend you, sorry, but hopefully they motivate you!

sorry, no not the leg press machine. I meant squats, but not with free weights.

and yea i'm only 20 so my joints have a while to go lol
I think my only issue is the extra weight.
you at 6' 195 and me at 6'2" 210 would probably be about the same, right?

I set 210 as my goal but I guess I gotta get there and see how I feel, then decide.

I play a lot of basketball, but i'm not quick. so I like the little bit of weight I have to be able to push to the hole or box people out. I just wish I was a little quicker and could jump a bit more. I have a friend I play with a lot who's only 5'7" but he can jump so when we both go for a rebound, we're pretty even...and that's just sad lol

Lifting heavy weights actually slows you down. It is the same reason why many boxers don't lift very heavy weights. It makes them slower and also makes their punches slower. I would suggest cutting your weights by half and working out in a faster motion or including your leg workouts with jump roping, jump lunges (weights optional), jumping squats (weights optional), and sprinting/running suicides.

that might be why i'm not seeing results...thanks i'll definitely change up my leg routine and see what happens

that might be why i'm not seeing results...thanks i'll definitely change up my leg routine and see what happens

Anytime. It is usually the same case with basketball/football players. You normally see them do explosive leg workouts for quickness/explosiveness and resistance for strength.

What ever route you go just be careful with your joints! Take glucosamine, fish oil, Chondroitin for joint supplements. Never go heavier than your body will allow and always have a spotter when you're unsure. Better safe than sorry. I'm not concerned with speed so some of these other guys may recommend something for speed. My goals are SIZE and DEFINITION. I'm 36 and run a mile around 7 min without trying, good enough for me lol. If I conditioned myself I could shave it down to 6 flat but why, I don't have speed goals.

What ever route you go just be careful with your joints! Take glucosamine, fish oil, Chondroitin for joint supplements. Never go heavier than your body will allow and always have a spotter when you're unsure. Better safe than sorry. I'm not concerned with speed so some of these other guys may recommend something for speed. My goals are SIZE and DEFINITION. I'm 36 and run a mile around 7 min without trying, good enough for me lol. If I conditioned myself I could shave it down to 6 flat but why, I don't have speed goals.
That's crazy...my BEST mile is 8 min

Mine was 6:22. I don't know what it is now though. Lol. I have not done a 5k time either.

Mile: 7 min (was able to run in 6 minutes just out of high school...many years ago now)
5k: 25 min (goal is 20 min)
10k: 60 min (goal is 45 min)
1/2 marathon: Plan on running my first one next year

That's a really good 5k time.

heels and ears I dropped that amount in the same time frame doing the same thing pretty much, just train on my bike and eat better.

@165-170 now the goal is 5 more lbs then I start weight training and doing this whey protein bs.

6' tall, I'm an ex fatass with my highest weight about 4-5 years ago being 230 @ the same height.

Yeah there's a guy at the gym that's 60 years old and does 16 mile runs just for kicks! WTF?? He's about a buck 50 though! Lol

heels and ears I dropped that amount in the same time frame doing the same thing pretty much, just train on my bike and eat better.

@165-170 now the goal is 5 more lbs then I start weight training and doing this whey protein bs.

6' tall, I'm an ex fatass with my highest weight about 4-5 years ago being 230 @ the same height.
Don't be too hard on yourself bro! I know guys that are 6' tall and 230 or so and BF% is about 8-10%. Not fat at all. The numbers don't mean **** really. 165 is lean as long as you've got muscle. I started at 165 at 6' as was tired of being called skinny so I changed that!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375905781.617155.jpg

I can NOT stand running, which is why it's such a struggle for me to motivate myself to do so. Even when I was in great shape I hated it. That's why I started doing HIIT. Same, or more caloric burn as running for distance, in about half the time. I haven't really read up on how long that lasts, or if there's any certain point where it starts to become less beneficial. But for now, it's been working great.

lol that's not fat...
2 years ago I was 5'11" 280 lbs....
now 6'2" 220-225

growing and losing weight was harder than losing weight alone

Back