Health/Fitness Routines?

I went to the doctor last week for my quarterly checkup. I know my weight 185 lbs on my 6'2" frame is fine, but the doc pointed out I have no muscle tone. I used to be an avid bodybuilder and once looked good, though I did have a bit of a belly. Now the belly is gone but I have no muscles. What a world.

Anyway, I started doing some pushups last week and can feel the tightness in my chest, triceps and shoulders. I have a nice incline bench and may spring for some Power Blocks. I think with a good set of dumbbells, and the bench, I could find my muscles again. I know they're in there somewhere.

Last edited:
I think with a good set of dumbbells, and the bench, I could find my muscles again. I know they're in there somewhere.

I've been hitting the gym for the past 5 months after a long while away from any dedicated exercise. I can start to see my muscles coming back. It'll take a while, but they'll be back after enough coaxing.

Getting older is a *****.

Back to the gym today! :) It was closed last week for renovations (plus it was my birthday so I was going to slack anyways lol)

Last edited:
I played basketball for a good hour and a half yesterday.

I bought a set of Sport 90 PowerBlocks yesterday. My set allows for 50 lbs. per hand but is expandable to 70, 90 or 130 lbs. At the moment, I believe I should take 25 pounds back to the store and ask for a refund. I don't see expansion in my future. Anyway, I started doing some light exercises yesterday. I also did some dumbbell bench presses and some flys off the bench. Then some tricep kickbacks and pushups with a close hand position.

Today, I did some seated military presses, front and side lateral raises. Then some alternating curls in the standing position, as well as some seated alternating curls off the inclined bench.

Anyone looking for a simple and effective means for quick muscle growth and recovery should try this product, just mix two scoops with milk within 30 minutes post workout and you're done, no other products needed. I've been using this for years along with a healthy diet and it really helps me heal and grow quickly after heavy cardio, weights, and road bike training/racing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html?MCID=CG-PLA-US&mr:trackingCode=22F1AED0-BC1A-E111-973E-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30692623746&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=43888905066

Last edited:
i have tried p90x and insanity, my only problem with p90x is that it takes forever to complete each days workout. With a more than full time job, house, dog, social life etc. its a major commitment to do. I have taken my favourite work outs from it, mostly core, and try to do those nightly. Push to do 500-600 crunches/pushups in sets of 50 working core and sides (whatever they're called) on top of that i have taken up mountain biking (aprox 20-25kms per day...im a beginner) for my cardio, as i detest running. No matter how many crunches you do if you don't do any cardio they will be hidden behind a little jiggle lol.

5 out of 5 days so far.

I went to the gym Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. I'm going today also.

Typically I go 4-5 days/week. Last week they were closed for renovations so I didn't go any days but did run & walk around the neighborhood.

I generally go every other day. My workout is 1-1/2 hours, and having a day in between gives my body time to recover. At most I would consider adding a 1 hour "basic training" class on Saturday morning, which is purely aerobics.

I'm guessing that you're going every day to concentrate on very specific/different areas each time, whereas I do a top to bottom workout each time.

Monday - Wednesday - Friday : upper body/abs/ 2 mile run

Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday : lower body/abs/2 mile run

Are you doing each exercise, one right after another, or taking a break? How long are you at the gym each day?

I'm just trying to get an idea how others are doing their routines.

Are you doing each exercise, one right after another, or taking a break? How long are you at the gym each day?

I do back and biceps one day and chest and triceps the other for 1-2 hours. I go to the gym every day. Only doing a little with lower body though. I like to give a 1 day resting period to each muscle group.

I find I must take brakes between each exercise. For example, if I do 3-4 sets of bench presses, I am winded an need to rest a bit. Sometime, I must rest between each set as well. I wish my wind was better, but it is what it is.

Try back & triceps, and chest & biceps, it's better isolation with less cross-muscle fatigue.

Simple all-in one lower body exercise is either incline leg press or squats.

It's good finish each workout with at least 20 minutes of cardio either on the treadmill or elliptical, I prefer the elliptical for reduced hip/knee impact.

I do back and biceps one day and chest and triceps the other for 1-2 hours. I go to the gym every day. Only doing a little with lower body though. I like to give a 1 day resting period to each muscle group.

I have done everything from road bike racing to training for running 5k's. I am now lifting weights. The wife got tired of me being rail thin from all the cardio. Never have lifted weights so I have been following the Body Beast program by Beach Body. Its a p90xish program, but for folks trying to build muscle. I really am enjoying the program. 3 months into it, and I can for sure see some gains.

Nice man. I'm just curious what your competitive height and weight was? I know everyone’s different, I'm 6 foot and my current weight is 175 with 8% body fat and a BMI of 22. I only weight train my upper body no more than twice a week on my Total Gym and I still manage to maintain symmetrical mass and strength that both myself and my girl are pleased with. My legs of course get trained 4 to 5 times per week between cycling and weights.

I have done everything from road bike racing to training for running 5k's. I am now lifting weights. The wife got tired of me being rail thin from all the cardio. Never have lifted weights so I have been following the Body Beast program by Beach Body. Its a p90xish program, but for folks trying to build muscle. I really am enjoying the program. 3 months into it, and I can for sure see some gains.

I got down to about 135Lbs @ 5.7Ft. I was a "Climber" =-) Not sure about my BF % I have only recently started measuring my body fat percentage since taking up weight lifting.

Back