Health/Fitness Routines?

I was at an event yesterday, where I ate lunch with a few married couples I just met. One of them were an older couple - had grandkids. Both of them were very overweight, and I watched them order a ton of fattening foods. While they were gobbling it down, the wife said her husband just had a quad bypass.

At one point she asked me if I wanted any of their appetizers. I said no thank you, and they asked if I was not feeling well. I told them I was trying to lose weight, and had already lost nearly 25 pounds, and that what I had ordered would be enough. She then asked, "Oh, how did you lose all that weight?"

I told her I cut out sweet drinks, desserts, reduced my portion sizes, and exercised several times a week at the gym. She looked at me funny, then moved her conversation to one of the other couples.

Makes me wonder what it takes for some people to figure out when they need to help themselves.

I was at an event yesterday, where I ate lunch with a few married couples I just met. One of them were an older couple - had grandkids. Both of them were very overweight, and I watched them order a ton of fattening foods. While they were gobbling it down, the wife said her husband just had a quad bypass.

At one point she asked me if I wanted any of their appetizers. I said no thank you, and they asked if I was not feeling well. I told them I was trying to lose weight, and had already lost nearly 25 pounds, and that what I had ordered would be enough. She then asked, "Oh, how did you lose all that weight?"

I told her I cut out sweet drinks, desserts, reduced my portion sizes, and exercised several times a week at the gym. She looked at me funny, then moved her conversation to one of the other couples.

Makes me wonder what it takes for some people to figure out when they need to help themselves.

That is ridiculous. I get super aggravated when I hear and see stuff like that. I would fail at being a training coach because all these excuses and "O Well" attitudes of people really ticks me off. I knew of a lady who needed to lose some weight and she said. " It doesn't matter if I lose weight my family will love me regardless ". So basically I am going to stay a big girl because I am taking my health and family for granted. BAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Then again - I have never been obese so I cannot relate, but I do know I hate bunk excuses like "Stress", and the all to common " I will start my plan on Monday " Start that crap today!!

and o yeaaaa "My thyroid is over active"

Last edited:
HAHA great stories guys. From my experience I find that women are much worse than men with the excuses, especially when they hide behind the notion of being insulted if someone comments on their weight, it's completely ridiculous, and when it's all said and done theres no excuse for laziness.

Last edited:
Here's another one...female coworkers approach me at the office asking for health and fitness advice, and after I give them a simple plan that'll show results they're all excited about it the first few weeks, then six to eight weeks later I see them at their desk snacking out of a party sized bag of chips and washing it down with a twenty ounce soda at 9 AM, and they wonder why they don't see and maintain results...it's like watching a hysterical train wreck...please don't waste my time anymore...

Last edited:
So I'm 6'1 and 160 lbs I've always been pretty athletic just super skinny and I can eat everything in sight (good or bad) lately my big motivation has been the fact that I just moved 1000 miles away from home and don't know anyone other than family. For the last month I've been religious about my 4 times a week (4 on 3 off) I'm not always eating fast food junk but I wouldn't say I'm eating healthy either like lots of Mexican food as rice and red meat and pinto beans. I am good about eating veggies a few times a week such as green beans and brocolli and I also love eating chicken and fish. I have never been able to gain weight so we shall see how this works for me. I've been doing good so far I could see my lats popping out when I was doing my last set of curls!!

Age will change that issue... trust me. One day you will look back (fondly) on your days when weight was never an problem.

I was exactly the same way until I reached my 40's. So it lasted a long time.

I'm in my 50's, and now I must be absolutely vigilant with my food choices to stay trim. We all get there eventually.

So enjoy your dilemma. Keep working on a weight routine designed to bulk you up. Believe it or not, you're in an enviable position.

Age will change that issue... trust me. One day you will look back (fondly) on your days when weight was never an problem.

I was exactly the same way until I reached my 40's. So it lasted a long time.
I just wish I could have bigger muscles hahaha
I'm in my 50's, and now I must be absolutely vigilant with my food choices to stay trim. We all get there eventually.

So enjoy your dilemma. Keep working on a weight routine designed to bulk you up. Believe it or not, you're in an enviable position.

I just wish I could have bigger muscles on my lean frame :( hahaha

Doing leg workouts will help you with muscle growth as well.

I just wish I could have bigger muscles on my lean frame :( hahaha

I have the same goal lol but staying dedicated pays off, i went from ~140 to over 150 this summer just from lifting and eating alot. Now that im back at college its easier to go more often because lifting is way more fun than HW lol.
Us lean guys could always try the Rock's diet for his role in Hercules... but thats enough food to kill a horse!!!! :eek:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3495461

I have the same goal lol but staying dedicated pays off, i went from ~140 to over 150 this summer just from lifting and eating alot. Now that im back at college its easier to go more often because lifting is way more fun than HW lol.
Us lean guys could always try the Rock's diet for his role in Hercules... but thats enough food to kill a horse!!!! :eek:

I'm starting the diet tomorrow!! I want to be more swol than Zeus himself!!

I have been bulking for 3 months. My starting wieght was probably around 135-140Lbs.. I never measured my weight in the beginning to get an exact starting weight. Nonetheless, I get so sick of eating.. I am pretty much in the same boat as you I am now 148-150Lbs depending on the day.

Do you plan on doing a "Cut" anytime soon? I am getting some weight around my belly, but hardly not enough to even think about considering me fat. As my wife says I look healthy now days. The program I am following has a 6 week bulk phase and a 3 week Cut phase. After my first bulk round I was only about 145Lbs at the end so I decided to do another bulk round which got me up to the now 148Lbs +/- The current bulk round ends next week so I am not sure if I should do the cut round to knock some of this fat off to keep things in check or do another 6 week bulk which will probably get me up to 155Lbs.

I have been bulking for 3 months. My starting wieght was probably around 135-140Lbs.. I never measured my weight in the beginning to get an exact starting weight. Nonetheless, I get so sick of eating.. I am pretty much in the same boat as you I am now 148-150Lbs depending on the day.

Do you plan on doing a "Cut" anytime soon? I am getting some weight around my belly, but hardly not enough to even think about considering me fat. As my wife says I look healthy now days. The program I am following has a 6 week bulk phase and a 3 week Cut phase. After my first bulk round I was only about 145Lbs at the end so I decided to do another bulk round which got me up to the now 148Lbs +/- The current bulk round ends next week so I am not sure if I should do the cut round to knock some of this fat off to keep things in check or do another 6 week bulk which will probably get me up to 155Lbs.

I gained some weight around my belly too, but i'm pretty sure its abs since I hit those alot. I still only have a 29 inch waist so its all good. Right now my diet changed alot since I have to eat the university's cafeteria food from my meal plan 3x a day, so until I kinda figure out what stuff to eat or buy on my own I'm just eating as healthy as I can with the new stuff. A cut would be good in the future Im thinking, but for now I'm still just trying to bulk it up. The school's food (especially sides) are pretty much like 50% butter though so its not really the right kind of food. So i try to buy fruit to eat and just eat alot of meat and drink whole milk every meal.

Well, I bought the PowerBlocks and have been working out six days a week for about two weeks. I cannot say I now look like Arnold but I actually do see a little difference. Most amazing is the fact my COPD has improved to an extend that is nothing short of remarkable. I feel so much better.

My bench and dumbbells are set up in my home office that doubles as my man cave. I conduct my business there, though I do not see clients there, I study my bible, listen to ear candy and workout. I usually will do three or four sets and then read a chapter or two of the good book while recovering. Back and forth I go. Pretty effective for me.

hey to anyone that lifts, i recently started going to the gym and working out on a pretty regular basis. im by no means a skinny dude im not obese but im not skinny and honestly i dont have that much muscle on me. im looking to tone up a bit and loose a bit of the fat. when we go to the gym we start off with 20-30 min of intervals running/walking and i really push myself, after that we lift and what not. should i be taking protein to help my muscles after i work out or should i be trying to burn off some of my fat first?

hey to anyone that lifts, i recently started going to the gym and working out on a pretty regular basis. im by no means a skinny dude im not obese but im not skinny and honestly i dont have that much muscle on me. im looking to tone up a bit and loose a bit of the fat. when we go to the gym we start off with 20-30 min of intervals running/walking and i really push myself, after that we lift and what not. should i be taking protein to help my muscles after i work out or should i be trying to burn off some of my fat first?

Merged your thread.

For toning id say eat protein but continue to do cardio. For bulking id say eat protein but not much cardio. For slimming down id say just straight cardio should do, and eating leaner foods.
You could always lift a bunch and eat a high calorie diet for a bulk up phase, then cut and do cardio to burn off extra fat and let your bigger muscles pop out.
For weight training im newer, but what seems to be a good approach is high weight/low rep builds bulk, while high rep/lower weight is more for toning. Hope that helps a little!

For toning id say eat protein but continue to do cardio. For bulking id say eat protein but not much cardio. For slimming down id say just straight cardio should do, and eating leaner foods.
You could always lift a bunch and eat a high calorie diet for a bulk up phase, then cut and do cardio to burn off extra fat and let your bigger muscles pop out.
For weight training im newer, but what seems to be a good approach is high weight/low rep builds bulk, while high rep/lower weight is more for toning. Hope that helps a little!
just got back actually lol but tn we went with our coworkers too. my buddy has been lifting for a while and hes been having me do the intervals every time with high weight low rep and protein. today we did high rep low weight because our coworkers came too and tn was our worst work out ever we were rushing through stuff and what not. was not impressed with how they did it. but what ever next time im just gonna solely listen to my buddy.

thanks for the input :) it helps because this is uncharted waters for me.

my goal is to loose some fat but just be stronger and more fit really

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMur_WgUQkA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

High reps low weight or high weight low reps doesn't matter. As long as you push your muscles to failure they will rebuild bigger and stronger. Most if not all of what olays a part is how you will be built is diet and genetics. I would love to be built like jay cutler but my genetics won't allow it. No matter how much I train (without steroids). However a few reputable people I've followed lately suggest keeping the weights to a point to where you can do 10-12 reps and that is what leads to hypertrophy (mass building). They also suggest low reps high weights builds more strength than anything.

Last edited:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMur_WgUQkA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

High reps low weight or high weight low reps doesn't matter. As long as you push your muscles to failure they will rebuild bigger and stronger. Most if not all of what olays a part is how you will be built is diet and genetics. I would love to be built like jay cutler but my genetics won't allow it. No matter how much I train (without steroids). However a few reputable people I've followed lately suggest keeping the weights to a point to where you can do 10-12 reps and that is what leads to hypertrophy (mass building). They also suggest low reps high weights builds more strength than anything.

Yeah, both ways push failure which is the best, i like supersets because i think they make the most out of a set

Back