DIY ADExternal's Auto to Manual shift boot conversion DIY

ADExternal

Lvl: 99 Modifier
Houston, Tx
Vehicle Model
Civic Ex
Body Style
Coupe
Hello all, due to high demands for this DIY, I was finally able to compose and make one.

photo (47).JPG

Disclaimer
9thcivic.com may or may not endorse various DIY projects, all DIY projects are purely "at your own risk". If you are at all uncomfortable or inexperienced working on vehicles (especially electronics and mechanical), please reconsider doing the job yourself. It is possible on any DIY to damage your car, void your factory warranty, disable a safety feature, create a hazardous condition, or harm or even kill yourself or others. Examples would be the vehicle failing on you, getting an electric shock, or disabling an airbag etc.

Your dealer or mechanic, or professional audio shop may provide services (and a warranty) for any DIY job posted on these forums. Sometimes, it’s just better to pay to have it done.

FAQs

Q: Can I do this for my 2013 Civic Models?
A: This can be applied to the 2013 civic models as well, just different parts but the concept is fairly the same.

Tools
Required:

- Dremel or cutting tool
dremel500.jpg

- Short Phillips Screw Driver
screwdriver.jpg

- Small Flat Screw Driver
small-flathead-screwdriver.jpg

- Scissors
scissors-open1_zps9a7d6e08.jpg

Project Parts
Required:

Rubber Grommet - 1/2" Inner diameter
Part Link - http://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors-/6000/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1/2 rubber grommets&_sop=15 or any homedepot/lowels store
Cost: $0.59 - 1.59USD
Shipping /Receiving Time: Varies
Comment(s): I got my grommet at home depot but I know some people prefer online ordering. Just make sure the inner hole diameter is about 3/8" to 1/2".

Black Center Console Shroud
Part Name - 77292-TR0-A51ZD PANEL, CENTER CONSOLE *NH167L* (GRAPHITE BLACK)
Cost: $18.50 - 20.00USD + Tax or shipping
Shipping /Receiving Time: 3-5days
Comment(s): This will replace the gray center shroud and is necessary to have the trim fit into.

Black Gloss Boot Trim
Part Name - 77294-TR0-A51ZA GARNISH, CHANGE LEVER BOOT *NH1L* (LH) (BLACK)
Cost: $19.35 - 21.50USD + Tax or shipping
Comment(s): This part is probably what makes the shifter pops out the most.

Manual Shifter Boot
Part Name -
White Stitching - 77299-TR0-A51ZA BOOT ASSY., CHANGE LEVER *NH167L* (GRAPHITE BLACK)
Red Stitching - 77299-TR7-A51ZA BOOT ASSY., CHANGE LEVER *NH167L* (GRAPHITE BLACK)
Cost: $49.85 - 52.60USD + Tax or shipping
Comment(s): Make sure you order the correct part for their particular stitching color.

Prep Work:

Step one - Rubber Grommet

I cut one side of my rubber grommet to make it easier for the tape to hold it up. You can use scissors to make this trim.

PIC_0216.JPG

Step two - Shiftboot
The shift boot will come with an attachment that is suppose to go with the manual shift nob. But since we dont have that. you will be removing it by flipping the boot inside out and cutting the ziptie with the scissors. And will end up looking like this.

PIC_0212.JPG

Step three - Knob and Console Removal

Step four - Trimming the Shift Assembly

Step five - Installing Manual Shift Boot

Coming soon....

Last edited:
Awesome vid and thanks for the 9th shoutout!

What would be cool is a aftermarket manual shift knob adapter for automatics!

Sick Speed makes one, except the threading is within certain "specs" so you must only use their shift knobs.

Edit: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...+automatic&_nkw=sick+speed+automatic&_sacat=0

Lets make it this weekend. I should be ok for my finals to pull some time off studying :)

Thanks! In the mean time, I'd just like to know if you're still using the same tray and moved it onto the manual center console.

Sick Speed makes one, except the threading is within certain "specs" so you must only use their shift knobs.

Edit: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sick speed shift&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xsick speed automatic&_nkw=sick speed automatic&_sacat=0

Thanks! In the mean time, I'd just like to know if you're still using the same tray and moved it onto the manual center console.

When you saw tray, you mean the holding area just behind the shifter? If so, I modded it a bit more since then. This is how it looks now.

IMG_1359.JPG

Yep, the tray with what seems to be modified to have a cup holder now in the picture. Lol. Same tray?

Yep, the tray with what seems to be modified to have a cup holder now in the picture. Lol. Same tray?

Yep, same tray. There is actually a modded an aux cable on the side closest to the shifter under the slip mat as well. :p

Well I'm sold. Great videos I did this with my 8th gen. Hate it doesn't come with a shift boot. I mean it's on the cluster why have it twice. Is your car a 12 or a 13. Also if it's a 2012 did they change the shades of black between the 12&13 models or are they the same my cars a 13 full black interior with leather and silver stitching. Those prices are American I'm assuming.

Well I'm sold. Great videos I did this with my 8th gen. Hate it doesn't come with a shift boot. I mean it's on the cluster why have it twice. Is your car a 12 or a 13. Also if it's a 2012 did they change the shades of black between the 12&13 models or are they the same my cars a 13 full black interior with leather and silver stitching. Those prices are American I'm assuming.
I just recently did this, AdExternal has a 2012, the consoles are different from 12 and 13+. My car is a 2013 sedan. . Unlike the 2012, the console tray is also different from auto and manual (learned it the hard way by not examining "MT" and "AT" in the description. I'm rocking everything besides the tray. You cant swap the tray from your auto to the manual console, you must buy the tray. The 2012 will let you swap it.)
Edit: the tray is on the way lol
I have more on the way. I'm expecting a delivery tomorrow for a sickspeed auto to manual shift knob adapter. And using a polished chrome 175g shiftknob from them as well to match the chrome accents of the interior. Unfortunately, the adapter has a threading of 16x1.5 and it looks like sickspeed did so everyone must buy from them. Unless there is a way to rethread it to something more "universal". I cant even find thread adapters. But I'm thinking too far ahead. I don't even know if the adapter is skinny enough to fit in the boot . It's trial and error.
The detail list item purchase is different from my car.
^^^ Yes ^^^

I just recently did this, AdExternal has a 2012, the consoles are different from 12 and 13+. My car is a 2013 sedan. . Unlike the 2012, the console tray is also different from auto and manual (learned it the hard way by not examining "MT" and "AT" in the description. I'm rocking everything besides the tray. You cant swap the tray from your auto to the manual console, you must buy the tray. The 2012 will let you swap it.)
Edit: the tray is on the way lol
I have more on the way. I'm expecting a delivery tomorrow for a sickspeed auto to manual shift knob adapter. And using a polished chrome 175g shiftknob from them as well to match the chrome accents of the interior. Unfortunately, the adapter has a threading of 16x1.5 and it looks like sickspeed did so everyone must buy from them. Unless there is a way to rethread it to something more "universal". I cant even find thread adapters. But I'm thinking too far ahead. I don't even know if the adapter is skinny enough to fit in the boot . It's trial and error.

^^^ Yes ^^^
Hey you have pics. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the tray. Are you talking the shifter console piece

Back