DIY R18 P2R TBS with gasket Installation tips!

I will be doing this on the weekend. Did you take off the cowel to get in there to do this or was there enough room? Also, which side does the white gasket go on? The side closest to driver side or passenger side? Thanks.

I didn't have to take anything off at all, I can go out and get a picture of how it should look before Friday if you want. I cant rememebr off the top of my head what side it should face.

Ya, I would really appreciate a couple pictures of what it looks like. I'm so visual. Would be very helpful.

@Pauly99to17 Its kind an awkward place to get my camera being behind the engine haha. So here's the best I could do, but it still shows in what order you have to 'sandwich' things together
This view is like you're looking straight into the engine bay and peeking over the engine, with the intake on the right hand side. By the way, I don't remember if you had an intake or not, but having either a CAI or SRI just gives you more room to work around in the engine bay instead of dealing with a clunky air box. If you were ever thinking about getting an intake, it would be simple to put at the same time as the TBS.
WP_20140416_004.jpg WP_20140416_007.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20140416_005.jpg
    WP_20140416_005.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 20
My only question that I want to be sure of is which side of the gasket is that notch? I'm almost certain that is on the side of the spacer (passenger side). Could you just confirm this.

I will be doing this on the weekend. Did you take off the cowel to get in there to do this or was there enough room? Also, which side does the white gasket go on? The side closest to driver side or passenger side? Thanks.
You don't need to remove cowl and the gasket go on top of TBS.

After did some 0-60 tests, Now I can say TBS makes the car faster. I have AFE Takeda Intake/axleback, mid-pipe 2".

8.4 to 8.6 seconds with TBS
8.8 to 8.9 seconds without TBS

I can feel the car just a tiny bit less responsive and the high end is noticeable slower.

I'm going to try to pair the TBS with the Takeda intake. I have to modify the intake so that the TBS will fit.

Sorry if that question seems redundant, I was just curious as to if this particular tbs has a sri or cai that can go on without any mod..?? I would assume not, since us R18s don't have many options to begin with..

Oh, there isn't a sri or cai that just bolts right to the tbs?
What I mean is the Takeda intake is too large. If I tried to install the TBS, the intake would be pushed an inch or so to the right and would hit the brake fluid reservoir so it wouldn't fit. I'm going to trim of an inch off the intake tube so it will fit.

What I mean is the Takeda intake is too large. If I tried to install the TBS, the intake would be pushed an inch or so to the right and would hit the brake fluid reservoir so it wouldn't fit. I'm going to trim of an inch off the intake tube so it will fit.
That's actually what was just going through my mind when I posted that last one, do you already have an idea of what you will have to do??

That's actually what was just going through my mind when I posted that last one, do you already have an idea of what you will have to do??
Hacksaw tube about 1 inch. I need to have a close look and make sure the tube integrity will not be jeopardized though.

Hmm, I don't have to trim the actual intake. I only trim the big rubber ring that go between TB and intake. So that way you have more clearance for engine oil back pressure tube. The way I do it, I don't use stock bolts that hold the air box down. I use a tie strap instead. Just the one near car battery.
The most important part is you want everything to be as straight as possible.

Your idea is a good one and is the obvious solution. Hopefully there will be enough to trim and still fit both clamps on. I haven't been under the hood yet to look at this closely, but judging by the picture it looks like it might be possible.

Yeah, I have both intake and tbs installed for more than 6 months already.

Back