Official Computer Talk Thread

im using crystal disk info, i like that i can set it up to email me if things start to go haywire

the m1 really does look like a nice case. This guy has done a few reviews on individual cases as well, but this shows a couple head to head

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt66VPrjWkM

That M1 case does look very nice. I like how they managed all of the stuff in there. A few years ago the Node 202 was small but came with thermal issues. I’m starting to see those thermal issues as my computer ages and more power is required.

it started life as a old laptop running usb 4 bay enclosures for drives, and i was a student at the time so its NTFS drives in JBOD, no redundancy (i know)
at the moment its 12 drives collectively sitting around 85% utilization
Id love to build something with redundancy to migrate to but at that volume the cost is just way more than i want to get into

its currently on the floor in the corner of my office, under one of those ikea tables that have legs almost the perfect distance for a rack. my home office is on the first floor of a townhouse so its almost always frigid down there. i get the coolest drive temps ive ever had down there.

View attachment 61235 View attachment 61236 View attachment 61237

I hear you. That'd be an undertaking to migrate all of that for sure.

:thumb: I've seen quite a few people use the ikea end table things as racks on datahoarder.

Lackrack FTW! They're a legit thing. I've seen a few where people stacked them too. When I finally migrate to a rack format (Still rocking a HP z640 Tower) I'm more than likely going lackrack.

That M1 shipping from Taiwan takes 1-8 weeks. That’s a long time

Detuned processor, now it sits nicely at 70C after turning off Turbo mode. No computer mods until I want to upgrade the whole thing.

It's because I had the office door closed plus only one AC vent in here.. I had a ceiling fan going too. Ugh

I’m gonna say 87c is way over what your i7 is rated from what you looked up. Why not delid?

I don't know. My i5 keeps hitting 88C even turned down to 4 GHz. New thermal paste and reapplication of the heat sink coming tomorrow.

Back