Official Computer Talk Thread

Still chasing down heat issues. Noticed that the current ones are up since I put the Noctua cpu cooler on after fan failure with the Cryorig C7. Trying a bigger cooler and a couple of 60mm case fans that I can cram into the Node 202 box. CPU temps were still climbing to 87-90 under stock config, down from 95. We’ll see how the new cooler works. It’s gonna be a tight fit.

Last edited:
Bigger cooler (ID Cooling IS-60 with a Noctua 120x15) fan knocked the temperatures to the mid-60s-70C. Problem is that my good RAM isn't low profile. I'm going to need to remove the heat spreaders on the RAM to make it fit underneath the heat sink. Note - on ITX boards, anything with a fan bigger than 92mm and less than 65mm tall will require short RAM. So, I swapped in some slower ram that doesn't have the extra height.

Oh yeah, I have a ROG Strix board too. The heat sink on the other side of the motherboard is too tall too, so you can choose low profile ram or have a low profile heat sink on the mobo. Anyway...

The bigger cooler fits tightly in the Node 202 with the fan inlet is against the side of the case with a little bit of clearance. This allows the most fresh air into the case versus the shorter cooler the Noctua was. Computers...

Last edited:
Still chasing down heat issues. Noticed that the current ones are up since I put the Noctua cpu cooler on after fan failure with the Cryorig C7. Trying a bigger cooler and a couple of 60mm case fans that I can cram into the Node 202 box. CPU temps were still climbing to 87-90 under stock config, down from 95. We’ll see how the new cooler works. It’s gonna be a tight fit.

Damn that sucks. Small cases aren't my thing.

There’s a flu-like virus thing going around that means I have to work from home for the duration of 2020.

I have a CI Dell laptop and a docking station with a KVM switch to go between work and play.

There’s a flu-like virus thing going around that means I have to work from home for the duration of 2020.

Nice you have that option. I can tell quite a bit more people are back to the work office than a few months ago. Damn traffic.

Nice you have that option. I can tell quite a bit more people are back to the work office than a few months ago. Damn traffic.

It’s not an option. We’ve been told and prohibited from going back to the office. There are many days where my job would be more easily accomplished at the factory or in the office.

It’s not an option. We’ve been told and prohibited from going back to the office. There are many days where my job would be more easily accomplished at the factory or in the office.

Oh damn. Yeah some businesses have to limit how many people are in the office so they have a rotation.

i think im going to upgrade my gpu this fall so i can start playing some better games and possibly fix the crashing issue when playing forza. my end goal is to assemble an itx computer so im going to be going b450/b550i eventually but for now i want to start accumulating parts.
i really want to get the silverstone itx case for the build. i know regular sized gpus will fit it so im looking for the best gpu for $300 and under canadian.

when it comes to gpus im a noob. there are so many numbers and non of it makes sense to me. ive been looking at 1660's and rx 570's. whats the best bang for the buck for under $300cnd?

i think im going to upgrade my gpu this fall so i can start playing some better games and possibly fix the crashing issue when playing forza. my end goal is to assemble an itx computer so im going to be going b450/b550i eventually but for now i want to start accumulating parts.
i really want to get the silverstone itx case for the build. i know regular sized gpus will fit it so im looking for the best gpu for $300 and under canadian.

when it comes to gpus im a noob. there are so many numbers and non of it makes sense to me. ive been looking at 1660's and rx 570's. whats the best bang for the buck for under $300cnd?

If you keep an eye out for deals you can probably get a used card for a decent price. I picked up my 1080 ti last Aug for $375 from CL. But that all depends on if you're looking to go new or not. You could probs find a 1080 for near 300CAD. A 8GB 1070 would be a good middle of the road option too. Should be able find one for about 200CAD. The 1070 is the best bang for buck IMO. If you can find a 1080 ti (11GB) for around 350CAD that's even better. The 1080 ti is still an AMAZING card. Better than the 20xx series if you ask me.

If you keep an eye out for deals you can probably get a used card for a decent price. I picked up my 1080 ti last Aug for $375 from CL. But that all depends on if you're looking to go new or not. You could probs find a 1080 for near 300CAD. A 8GB 1070 would be a good middle of the road option too. Should be able find one for about 200CAD. The 1070 is the best bang for buck IMO. If you can find a 1080 ti (11GB) for around 350CAD that's even better. The 1080 ti is still an AMAZING card. Better than the 20xx series if you ask me.

seems like canadians like to sell things for more. used 1080ti is between 600-800.

there are no used 1070 gpus near me for sale.
is something like this worth the price at all?

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.ca/XFX-RX-570P8DFD6-Radeon-1286MHz-Graphics/dp/B077VX31FZ/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=graphics+card+1660&qid=1598196792&sr=8-18

also im using a 2200g cpu, i plan on upgrading to a ryzen 5 eventually but im hoping the gpu alone will be good enough for now.

It will. Taking the graphical load off of your CPU will free cycles. I prefer NVIDIA GPU. The drivers are just more stable, and a good majority of games are still developed using NVIDIA hardware. But literally any modern card will be better than APU gaming. The 2200g is spectacular for what it is, but you're still sharing compute cycles and memory. Offloading all graphical tasks to a dedicated piece of hardware will almost always net gains.

I got my GTX 1080 for $300 around Christmas 2019 (maybe January 2020). No it wasn't brand new.

It was gently used (no mining) by a buddy who sold it to me for a RTX 2080 Ti.

It will. Taking the graphical load off of your CPU will free cycles. I prefer NVIDIA GPU. The drivers are just more stable, and a good majority of games are still developed using NVIDIA hardware. But literally any modern card will be better than APU gaming. The 2200g is spectacular for what it is, but you're still sharing compute cycles and memory. Offloading all graphical tasks to a dedicated piece of hardware will almost always net gains.

I currently have a Rx 370 2g but like I said Forza and other games have started to crash a lot.

I currently have a Rx 370 2g but like I said Forza and other games have started to crash a lot.
Ah. I missed that. But 2G is entirely too low for current games. Get something with 4GB at a minimum. A 570 as you initially mentioned would stomp all over the 370. And you should be able to find one fairly cheap. You could probably even find a 580 for not much more. If you can swing it, the 580 or 590 would be tits.

I got my GTX 1080 for $300 around Christmas 2019 (maybe January 2020). No it wasn't brand new.

It was gently used (no mining) by a buddy who sold it to me for a RTX 2080 Ti.

I don't mind cards used for mining. I would argue that they're typically treated better than cards used for gaming. They're usually underclocked, ran with much better cooling. In my mind, people tend to treat things better when they'll a source of income vs a toy. I'm pretty sure that the 1080 that I had prior to the 1080 ti was used for mining, and I wouldn't be surprised if my ti was too. I don't even bother asking.

Back