DIY 2012+ Civic Si - How to change your oil

I'm like that(double checking), but there are a lot of peeps that don't tighten that bolt...... I learned as a kid, because my Brother blow a engine for the lack of tightening the drain plug........ I've sometime have used the same crush ring over(once), but usually buy a bag of them.

I haven't done this car yet, but I thought there was a plate covering that area?

No plate!

Of course, this is for an Si and I do not know about the :hiding: lesser :hiding: models. ;)

Last edited:
Lol. I just noticed how much easier it is to replace the oil filter on the K24. On my FG2, the oil filter is located by the passenger side wheel above the subframe. It isn't right by the drain plug which is much more convenient. So when I remove the oil filter, some of the oil end up falling on the sub frame. :pat:

My 2003 CL Type-S used a washer and so does my gf's 08 GTI. My local Pep Boys didn't have them & the 2 guys working there thought I was speaking about a mythical part. They had never heard of it. The local Autozone only had one for $1.00. Its better to purchase them from eBay in bulk.

My 2003 CL Type-S used a washer and so does my gf's 08 GTI. My local Pep Boys didn't have them & the 2 guys working there thought I was speaking about a mythical part. They had never heard of it. The local Autozone only had one for $1.00. Its better to purchase them from eBay in bulk.

You can buy the washers on the Honda Dealerships. I think it's like $.15 per piece.

yeah, I think the last time I picked some up they were like 20-30 cents.

@squiggy, I'm about to do my first oil change and was considering a magnetic drain bolt also. Might be a silly question based on the thread title, but do you know if the M14-1.50 will work for 2013 Si also or should I check the thread size just to be safe?

That sounds like the right size, but I am not positive. I would double-check to be on the safe side. If you report back, I will add it to the first post.

I'm going thur my first oil change what oil brand you guy recommend ?

Honda oil ; Mobil One.......... "This is my choice of oil, there are many oil choices, but this one is mine".... Uh-Ya

i used the synthetic blend yesterday

Attachments

• 08798-9036.jpg
    08798-9036.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 37
they also sell the full synthetic bout 7.00 a quart compared to 3.00 for the blend

Attachments

• 08798-9037.jpg
    08798-9037.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 33
Any filter that's a recommended ?
Honda oil ; Mobil One.......... "This is my choice of oil filter, there are many oil filter choices, but this one is mine".... Uh-Ya

I saw this on the rdx forums -

-Oil Filter -- Honda vs. Mobil1

OEM Honda and Mobil 1 filter. The Honda filter is made under contract by Fram Filter Corporation. The Mobil 1 is made by Champion Filter
Both of these filters were removed from an RDX after about 5500 miles service..
The Honda filter assembly is in three pieces: the paper element, metal center tube, and spring bypass valve (below on left). The bypass valve is sitting in position on top of the tube. The Mobil 1 filter is a single unit with an integral metal center tube and built in spring bypass valve (below on the right). The bypass valve is the black dot on top of the filter.
Sturdy metal center tubes are critically important to resist crushing, and both filters have them. Bypass valves are critically important to maintain uninterrupted start-up and high RPM oil flow, and both filters have the high quality spring type.

img0827ve7.jpg

Examine the filter assemblies above and below (Honda left, Mobil 1 right). Notice that the Honda uses felt rings glued to the paper filter ends to hold it together (above). See also how the Honda's metal end caps barely cover the felt rings (below). Now look at the Mobil 1 and see how the integral metal end caps completely cover and contain the filter element. This is sturdier construction.
Last, and most important is the element itself. The Honda (below left) is paper and can be easily deformed by hand, or under the relentless pressure of the oil pump (up to 70 psi). Note how the Honda filter has deteriorated after 5500 miles of service.
Now look at the Mobil 1. It is made of sturdy fiber matrix and would require pliers to deform it. After 5500 miles of service it looked nearly new.

img0828rq5.jpg

High volume oil flows from the pump directly into the filter on the bottom on the engine. It enters the filter through the outer holes pictured above, flows up the sides and then through the element and/or through the bypass valve and exits the filter through the center tube. High pressure now forces it throughout the engine.
At highway speed the oil pump cycles ALL 5 quarts through the engine 3 times in one minute. If your oil filter leaks or fails, the pump will dump oil overboard faster than you can recognize the problem, and stop the engine.
The difference between a cheap filter and a quality filter is about 6 bucks, or one less Mocha-Venti-Chino-Latte every six months.
So what about the Honda? It is sufficient provided you change the oil on schedule and always use a new one. The Mobil 1 is about the same price and you can see the difference for yourself.

im probably gonna go with a mobil one filter and a magnetic drain plug bolt, but sticking with the honda 0w-20 synthetic blend

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters

• Provide long-life performance for today’s longer oil drain intervals
    • Remove more contaminants than conventional filters using an advanced synthetic fiber blend filter media
    • Hold and remove three times the dirt versus the leading economy filter brand*
    • Reduces resistance to oil flow while improving filter efficiency
    • Withstands up to nine times the normal system operating pressure*
*Based on test results.
Their advanced oil filters use synthetic fibers, which leave your vehicle with cleaner oil and an engine that performs better and lasts longer. When used with Mobil 1™ fully synthetic motor oil, our Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter offers the ultimate protection for your engine. In fact, our filter provides up to 15,000 miles of guaranteed protection when used with synthetic motor oil.
m1_filter_top.gif

Last edited:
@squiggy just reporting back... I did my first oil change on my 2013 Si last night after work and used the NAPA M14 - 1.5 magnetic drain bolt. So its the same for the '13s. Also should probably add that I used the NAPA crush washer also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back