DIY 2012+ Civic Si - How to change your oil

@squiggy just reporting back... I did my first oil change on my 2013 Si last night after work and used the NAPA M14 - 1.5 magnetic drain bolt. So its the same for the '13s. Also should probably add that I used the NAPA crush washer also.

First post edited with the proper size. Thank you!

Question for the OP - I have that same oil filter wrench you show in your pictures, the plastic one. When I tried to get my oil filter off with it yesterday, the plastic was too soft and it just slipped over and over. Does yours do that, and do you have any tips for overcoming that? I may go get a metal pipe clamp and tighten it around the outside of the plastic part so it holds tighter.

Question for the OP - I have that same oil filter wrench you show in your pictures, the plastic one. When I tried to get my oil filter off with it yesterday, the plastic was too soft and it just slipped over and over. Does yours do that, and do you have any tips for overcoming that? I may go get a metal pipe clamp and tighten it around the outside of the plastic part so it holds tighter.

Sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't. Really depends on the filter being used. If it is bare metal, it will slip. If the filter is coated in a grip substance, it works just fine. Also depends on how torqued it was when put on. Worst cast scenario is a screwdriver and hammer. You are going to trash it anyway. So, just puncture it with a screwdriver and twist it off that way. I have never had a problem getting the proper torque when putting one on with plastic cap style filter wrench.

Glad to see they have moved the placement of the oil filter on the 2.4 motors. The filter placement on the 2.0 motors was horrible!

just did the second oil change on my car this time by my self first time i had the dealer do it , ya i t was really easy, my buddie said the 8th gen was a pain to do and such a mess. i had about 2800 miles on this oil and it said 40 % life left, but it had been about 8 monthes , figured it was time

Very helpful, thanks! Is replacing the crush washer absolutely necessary if there are no indentations or visible wear? I didn't switch it for my last oil change, so I'm curious.

Very helpful, thanks! Is replacing the crush washer absolutely necessary if there are no indentations or visible wear? I didn't switch it for my last oil change, so I'm curious.
The washer literally flattens/crushes when the drain bolt is torqued down. I've reused one when I didn't have one handy, but you are supposed to replace them.

The best thing is to buy a small bag of them(keep with oil tools.). "Grasshopper", If the plug comes off, was it worth it not to change the washer?

Reactions: Nix
Back