DIY 2012 Civic Si - How to remove your shift knob

How do you get the boot back up and on after doing this? Is it very hard? I need to pull mine down to re-align my shift knob and I'm scared I will mess something up. Thanks!

It will just snap back into place.

What do you mean by remedy the alignment?
Batman900. Hey friend: If I understand your problem, and you want to replace the knob properly, first hand screw the retaining "bolt-sleeve" until it bottoms out on the shifter. Then back it off a little. Then screw the knob down to where you want it, of course close to the bolt sleeve at that point, align the knob numbers by eye, then tighten the bolt sleeve up to it with the open wrench while holding the knob firmly with the other hand. Then it'll be tight. Pull up the plastic sleeve, and Bob's your uncle!

Thanks guys for the replies, I tried it that way Colint but the problem I ran into is that the black collar will turn with the shift knob. This is even after I have held it tightly in place with a towel and pliers while screwing the knob onto it. In the end I have scratched the collar all up and the knob still wont stay, so now I'm having to use a ton of thread tape which is kinda ghetto. After seeing this thread I went ahead and ordered a new collar "ouch $35!!" and plan to pull the boot down and do it the way shown in the pics so that I don't have to scratch it up again. I had no idea you could even pull the boot down without having to remove part of the console. Now knowing my luck I will break the boot clips and have to replace that to lol. Good to know it will just snap back into place.

Thanks guys for the replies, I tried it that way Colint but the problem I ran into is that the black collar will turn with the shift knob. This is even after I have held it tightly in place with a towel and pliers while screwing the knob onto it. In the end I have scratched the collar all up and the knob still wont stay, so now I'm having to use a ton of thread tape which is kinda ghetto. After seeing this thread I went ahead and ordered a new collar "ouch $35!!" and plan to pull the boot down and do it the way shown in the pics so that I don't have to scratch it up again. I had no idea you could even pull the boot down without having to remove part of the console. Now knowing my luck I will break the boot clips and have to replace that to lol. Good to know it will just snap back into place.

The first time I took off the knob I pretty much strong-armed it by simply turning the knob. It was VERY tight, but eventually came off. It wasn't until I had removed it and went to put it back on that I realized the mechanics of it.

The boot clips shouldn't break, but they will become a little loose on the retainer after repeated removals.

The first time I took off the knob I pretty much strong-armed it by simply turning the knob. It was VERY tight, but eventually came off. It wasn't until I had removed it and went to put it back on that I realized the mechanics of it.

The boot clips shouldn't break, but they will become a little loose on the retainer after repeated removals.

Fantastic, you and this thread made my day sir thanks a bunch!

I did the same thing the first time and then put a knob on that had no markings, so it wasn't until I wanted to return it to stock that I realized my problem.

Batman900
I know you know this, but for others who may not, the black-ribbed bolt sleeve, I guess that's what you have ordered a new one of, has two flat sides grooved in it for a 12 or 14mm (I forget, maybe 9/16) open end wrench. That gets screwed on by hand and then the shift knob goes on. If you screw the shift knob down onto the sleeve, you'll create problems. Instead, put the sleeve on almost to bottom, screw the knob down where you want it with a little play below, then hand-tighten the black sleeve up to it. Next, use hand pressure to hold the knob in place, put the wrench on it, and tighten, holding the knob in an opposite force. The wrench will immediately tighten up against the shifter threads and you're done. If anyone wants, I can do a short vid.

Batman900
I know you know this, but for others who may not, the black-ribbed bolt sleeve, I guess that's what you have ordered a new one of, has two flat sides grooved in it for a 12 or 14mm (I forget, maybe 9/16) open end wrench. That gets screwed on by hand and then the shift knob goes on. If you screw the shift knob down onto the sleeve, you'll create problems. Instead, put the sleeve on almost to bottom, screw the knob down where you want it with a little play below, then hand-tighten the black sleeve up to it. Next, use hand pressure to hold the knob in place, put the wrench on it, and tighten, holding the knob in an opposite force. The wrench will immediately tighten up against the shifter threads and you're done. If anyone wants, I can do a short vid.

9/16 would be the right size.

Tools needed:
9/16 open end wrench
Flat head screwdriver - possibly

1. Remove the shift knob by pulling down on the shift boot. It will not simply pull straight down. I found it is best to pull down and angle it slightly and work it from there. You may find it easier to use a flat head screwdriver and pry the clip loose while pulling it down. Once the boot clip is off, use the 9/16 wrench on the retaining piece for the shift knob. Turn it right to loosen it. Once you have done this, you can turn the shift knob to the left. It will take about a dozen full turns to get it off.

k1.sized.jpg

k2.sized.jpg

k3.sized.jpg

When putting the knob back on, you will want to screw it back on as far as it goes and then position it so the image lines up right. After you do that, then you will want to hold it in place and tighten the retaining ring to keep it in place.
Note:You want this to be tight so it doesn't come loose mid-shift!

Do you have a tutorial for an automatic knob ?

... wow, i applause your google skill and thank you for it, im new to this website, what do i press to thank you ?

and can i have the webpage you took that , and do you know any website that would sell some custom knob for auto ?

Last edited:
If I were to get Type R style shift knob. Would the shift boot be able to be flush with the knob like it is with the stock one?

So I followed these instructions the other day. No offense to the people that designed the OEM shift knob which looks really cool but its metal. Here in the desert I would get in my car and I can't touch my shift knob because it is literally to hot to handle. Like you can burn your self hot here in AZ. So ordered an installed an aftermarket Momo shift knob the other day. I installed it like the DIY instructions stated. Here is the finished product.
IMG_20131003_123310.jpg IMG_20131003_123315.jpg
But after looking at it after a while I think I did something wrong because now the boot won't go up all the way because I don't have the original shifter shaft on. The shift knob had its own bottom part but I can't fit the retaining clips on the bottom
of the shift knob. So now there is this gap in between the boot and the shift knob.
IMG_20131003_123327.jpg IMG_20131003_123333.jpg
Is this a problem that there is a gap between those two areas other then for aesthetics? It would be nice if my boot came up to the bottom of the shift knob like everybody else. Did I install this incorrectly or am I supposed to take the retaining clip out of the boot? If so how do you take your boot out of your car without having to uninstall half your dashboard? If I take the retaining clip out of the boot will it still say up and flush with bottom of shift knob?

Back