Michiana
Vehicle Model
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Body Style
Convertible
Tools needed:
9/16 open end wrench
Flat head screwdriver - possibly

1. Remove the shift knob by pulling down on the shift boot. It will not simply pull straight down. I found it is best to pull down and angle it slightly and work it from there. You may find it easier to use a flat head screwdriver and pry the clip loose while pulling it down. Once the boot clip is off, use the 9/16 wrench on the retaining piece for the shift knob. Turn it right to loosen it. Once you have done this, you can turn the shift knob to the left. It will take about a dozen full turns to get it off.

k1.sized.jpg

k2.sized.jpg

k3.sized.jpg

When putting the knob back on, you will want to screw it back on as far as it goes and then position it so the image lines up right. After you do that, then you will want to hold it in place and tighten the retaining ring to keep it in place.
Note:You want this to be tight so it doesn't come loose mid-shift!

Holy ****...I think when I was trying to take off my shift knob...I didn't detach the boot and just kept twisting. So I think I broke the black retaining ring...I've tried a dozen times and a dozen different ways and now my shift knob won't align correctly.

Holy ****...I think when I was trying to take off my shift knob...I didn't detach the boot and just kept twisting. So I think I broke the black retaining ring...I've tried a dozen times and a dozen different ways and now my shift knob won't align correctly.
I was hesitant about putting up a DIY for this as with most cars it is a simple thing to do, but I kept seeing a lot of people asking how to take the shift knob off in a lot of places. The first time I actually took mine off I just kept twisting. It was really tight and I was sure I was going to break something. Somehow the retaining piece and knob came off together. Anyway, after seeing how it all fits together, I figured I would put this up for those who are not sure, or like me, think they are going to break something.

As a warning to all: the more you take the knob off, the more you are loosening and weakening the boot clip. After taking mine off three times now, it is loose and actually rattles a bit.

I was hesitant about putting up a DIY for this as with most cars it is a simple thing to do, but I kept seeing a lot of people asking how to take the shift knob off in a lot of places. The first time I actually took mine off I just kept twisting. It was really tight and I was sure I was going to break something. Somehow the retaining piece and knob came off together. Anyway, after seeing how it all fits together, I figured I would put this up for those who are not sure, or like me, think they are going to break something.

As a warning to all: the more you take the knob off, the more you are loosening and weakening the boot clip. After taking mine off three times now, it is loose and actually rattles a bit.

Heed his warning people. Mine does the same thing...My retaining piece doesn't even come off with my shift knob even after I disconnect the boot from it. The retaining piece barely even twists on and when I twist the knob back on...it like pushes the retaining piece down even though it's twisted tight...that's why my knob won't align straight. I'll make a video of it sometime soon.

oh sht, i did the same thing too by just twisting the hell out of it. there any way to remedy the alignment? i dont really want to put the loctite that came with my aftermarket knob

oh sht, i did the same thing too by just twisting the hell out of it. there any way to remedy the alignment? i dont really want to put the loctite that came with my aftermarket knob

What do you mean by remedy the alignment?

thanks for the diy...this will be helpful for people

thanks for the diy...this will be helpful for people

No problem. As I stated earlier I was hesitant about doing one for something that is usually so simple, but I even had a hard time figuring out how to get the knob off the first few tries just fumbling around with it. I actually managed to turn it off with the retainer on thinking how ridiculously tight it was. After I got it off and took a closer look it made sense. I just figured others would want a heads up.

Basically what Monk said. Screw the knob all the way down and then spin it up until it is aligned. Then hold it firmly and lock it in place with the retaining piece.

yay it worked, clips were being boogers and wouldnt let me pull it down, was scared i was gonna break em. thanks for the help guys <3

That's the worst part when working on something, is the fear of breaking things.

That's the worst part when working on something, is the fear of breaking things.

After tearing my center console apart a few times, some of the dash, and some of the exterior push clips, I have fortunately not broken any yet...

Does the factory shift knob seperate from the black collar or do you need to pull down the boot to take off the factory knob, I saw the diy on it but I thought someone said that if your just replacing the knob it seperates from the black piece below it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does the factory shift knob seperate from the black collar or do you need to pull down the boot to take off the factory knob, I saw the diy on it but I thought someone said that if your just replacing the knob it seperates from the black piece below it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to pull the boot down in order to loosen the black retainer.You will also need access to the bottom portion of the black retainer for tightening purposes when putting a new knob on.

Ok thanks a lot
I'm pretty sure what they were saying, is that they didn't do it correctly and forced it off, and like squiggy said you need to pull it down to tighten the retainer when replacing the knob.

How do you get the boot back up and on after doing this? Is it very hard? I need to pull mine down to re-align my shift knob and I'm scared I will mess something up. Thanks!

Back