59 Erouse91 (AT)
60 Gopher663 (MT)
61 12r18 (MT)
62 Eddielara90
63 TUNERTEEN17 (AT)
64 Poos (MT)
65 N7SPCTR (AT)
66 BrettCombs (AT)

I just finished reading the article "Full-Race Civic R18 Turbo Kit FAQ", and I wanted to pose a few questions to the more technically skilled people . Here's my situation, I have a Honda Civic LX (non-Si) 2013 and would like to turbo it. Two problems that I continue to run into is ECU management, accompanied PNP harness, and the 06-11' year kits. Question 1, I know that Hondata has yet to release a FlashPro and may not in the future; so would the (AEM F/I 6 and boomslang PNP harness) or (Greedy E-Manage Ultimate - No harness yet) work in it's place without complication? Question 2, to my knowledge the R18A1 engine has remained nearly identical for almost 8 years; would the exact same parts from current Turbo Kits for the 06-11' fit "aside from a tuner of course"? I would be highly interested in any feedback, or recommendations for ECU Management. Please do not spare any detail. Thank you for your time

The main reason they probably won't release FP for the 9th gen is that all the same people who said they would buy one for the 8th gen never did. Lots of talkers no do-ers. Also this huge list of 66 people? I doubt anyone seriously buys a turbo or sc kit for their cars. It's simply not worth the money. For the $5-6k hit to install and make maybe 180hp? You could spend the 5k and upgrade to an si, have the power, suspension, better brakes, and 6-speed for the same cost. Also you would certainly have a better platform to upgrade from there. Very few parts have been made to address the main shortcomings of the r18 engine in terms of limiting its power. People dropping $5000 on a turbo kit will also have to get several custom parts made if you want to make good power and not waste your time making barely stock Si power.

Not hating, since I drive an auto LX, just realized the cost/performance barrier was not worth it in the least.

The base "kit" from full race is $4464.34

Now you still need:

Flashpro : $700-ish

Exhaust, injectors, upgraded fuel pump, intake, hondata 4bar map sensor, and some other supporting mods.

Say you get all the extras for $1000, which would be insanely cheap, you're still looking at $4500 turbo kit, $700 flash pro, $1000+ of extras. Over $6000 and you still need a tune.

Tell me you can't trade your car +$6000 and not get an Si? Also most of the 8th gen guys who bought turbo kits and did not go with custom cams or intake manifolds were getting about 180hp. Less than a stock Si. Yes you can get into the 200hp+ range but that requires some serious custom parts and definite drive line and valve work at that point.

All that said, the list of r18 flashpro guys will not return sales. Bolts on and FP/tune will not do for the r18 what it does for the Si. I wish it did cause then I would have had a whole lot more fun with my car.

It's possible to build r18 with turbo kit for around $3k and it's durable reliable too. Asian 8th and 9th gen civic been doing it for years already.

The main reason they probably won't release FP for the 9th gen is that all the same people who said they would buy one for the 8th gen never did. Lots of talkers no do-ers. Also this huge list of 66 people? I doubt anyone seriously buys a turbo or sc kit for their cars. It's simply not worth the money. For the $5-6k hit to install and make maybe 180hp? You could spend the 5k and upgrade to an si, have the power, suspension, better brakes, and 6-speed for the same cost. Also you would certainly have a better platform to upgrade from there. Very few parts have been made to address the main shortcomings of the r18 engine in terms of limiting its power. People dropping $5000 on a turbo kit will also have to get several custom parts made if you want to make good power and not waste your time making barely stock Si power.

Not hating, since I drive an auto LX, just realized the cost/performance barrier was not worth it in the least.

The base "kit" from full race is $4464.34

Now you still need:

Flashpro : $700-ish

Exhaust, injectors, upgraded fuel pump, intake, hondata 4bar map sensor, and some other supporting mods.

Say you get all the extras for $1000, which would be insanely cheap, you're still looking at $4500 turbo kit, $700 flash pro, $1000+ of extras. Over $6000 and you still need a tune.

Tell me you can't trade your car +$6000 and not get an Si? Also most of the 8th gen guys who bought turbo kits and did not go with custom cams or intake manifolds were getting about 180hp. Less than a stock Si. Yes you can get into the 200hp+ range but that requires some serious custom parts and definite drive line and valve work at that point.

All that said, the list of r18 flashpro guys will not return sales. Bolts on and FP/tune will not do for the r18 what it does for the Si. I wish it did cause then I would have had a whole lot more fun with my car.

I think your getting WHP mixed up with BHP. the SI makes 200 BHP (at the flywheel) the EX makes 140BHP. the base TSI kit will take an EX from 140BHP to around 230BHP (= around 190whp {ish}) so please dont skew numbers by comparing 180whp to 200bhp. because in this case 180whp>200bhp any day.

p.s. before anyone decided to nail me to the cross with numbers i know those numbers are not exact. but theyre close and just used to prove a point.

As far as the flashpro? 9thgencivic is also putting together a list of people with money-on-hand to buy it. so far the list is like 68 ppl i think? myself included (2012 honda civic ex coupe) i know not everyone will live up to their talk, but most of us will. i know i will but it the second it comes out.

Also, i did some research into the AEM F/IC and, from what i heard/read, its a real pain. sometimes you have to get different sensors, install resistors in line with the sensors, they have to be just right, no1 tells you what kind of resistor to use, its a nightmare. personally? i just want to wait until a proven Engine management solution is out there. like the flashpro.

I think it's that same list of people as here on the other site. Although I'm not sure about that.

Again, not trying to hate on the turbo kits for these cars. I did massive research into getting one on mine and the costs just spiral out of control. Especially to hit higher numbers. I had to go find all my old notes...... these are the issues I ran into doing research. Also why very few people ended up going to the turbo route and even fewer FP sales materialized.

So yes stock R18 is 140hp at the crank and stock dynos usually came out around 115hp at the wheels.

Stock Si ~200-ish at the crank and around 180hp at the wheels.

Like I said, a lot of the guys who just got the turbo kits, fullrace etc.., and no custom stuff done were spending in the $5-6k range and running at 7psi of boost end up dynoing around 180-190 at the wheels. Also this is not just a bolt on affair. You will be doing some serious modification to your car like tapping your oil pan to run lines.

Also to hit higher numbers you are going to be very limited by a couple of things. This is where that $3k taiwan kit becomes a black hole of money and despair.....

1) MAF sensor. It maxes out around 9-10psi. So guys hitting 190whp @7-8psi are pretty close to the limit for what the stock setup can do.

2) The stock plastic intake manifold breaks at around 17-18psi. Boost spikes will happen especially with an AT car so you will need to keep your boost in check very carefully unless you are willing to pay for a custom new IM.

3) The stock engine should be run with no more than 17psi because the stock sleeves around the pistons are slightly oval shaped. Under serious power the piston can move more than it should which means you are going to need to send the block out to be sleeved, which should also mean you need new forged internals, pistons, rods, and at that point you will be needing valve train upgrades as well.

4) Switching to a MAP sensor is not just a plug and play deal. If it is the same on the 9th gen then the IAT sensor is part of the MAF sensor and wiring. So you cannot just bolt on a Hondata 4 bar MAP sensor, they do make one for R18s, unless you are willing to separate and splice out that particular wire. You can also run the RDX sensor which reads up to 22psi-ish and be able to set flashpro to speed density and possibly run more than 10psi on your kit.

5)You are going to need custom piping run and custom parts made if you want the kit to work well and you are not buying a complete FullRace setup. Vent to atmosphere does not run well on this particular car so you will need to make sure that the BOV is a recirculate setup. Your MAF sensor need to be pre-turbo like the EVO and Subi setups are and the recirc fitting from the recirc valve needs to go inbetween the MAF sensor and the turbo. More custom work.

6) Torque converter failure starts to set in at around 230whp. Thats from guys who had 20-30k miles on theirs. They were starting to get issues. Also if you have done the conversion to MAP sensor the signal from that causes the AT to not operate correctly since it is not programmed to register positive boost pressure. It is especially noticeable on the 4th to 5th gear change where the Transmission Control Unit creates a huge delay. Meanwhile the stall position on the torque converter will be eating a ton of power and the range selector on the transmission will be taking a beating. Unless you can change the TCU parameters, which as far as I know no solution was found, since FP only controlls the ECU.

7) To get into the mid 200's you will need expensive custom work in the form of a new IM, custom DP, custom upgraded charge pipe sizes, really good turbo manifold, large intake, usually requires a battery relocate, and a few other things. Even for the MT guys who don't have to deal with the AT issues.

Again these are all issues to hit into that mid 200's range. A basic turbo kit at 7psi will net you around 190 at the wheels. So stock si numbers at the wheels for $5k.

However there is one bit of good news......

You should not have any transmission issues. The torque converter and clutch wear aside.... the transmission is the KA5AT or MT. Your crank hp is about 140. This is the same transmission, as far as I can tell, that is in the RDX which runs about 240hp at the crank. So your trans does have some room and shouldn't give you issues.

No. That would be upgrading to an Si. That is the cheapest route. The jackson racing supercharger is a viable option though once FP comes out. It will get you into the 180hp range and is much simpler and works very well with the stock components. Turbos are just overly complicated on these cars.

I also saw a guy claim 240 on a hub dyno. They all read a little different. All I am trying to do is point out the issues you guys are going to have and to be careful. I tried to be conservative in numbers with what the original dyno readings were for guys with bolt on turbo kits. Realistically the guy is probably getting mid 190's at the wheels consistently. Dyno numbers are always different depending on the day/time/temp/unit you test on.

Also like I said, the stock MAF sensor maxes out around 9-10psi and he is running 8.8psi.

Yeah, $2500-ish from procivic without FP or injectors or a tune. Hence, FP is usually around $700, injectors say $150, and a tune for cheap $150 and you're already going to be over $3500. Plus more likely than not you'll need some other various parts as well.

Boost gauges, oil temp gauges, they do mention the 230hp was with non-stock exhaust also

Back