2013 Civic "Premium Audio System" Navigation Stereo Upgrade

Hi all,

Just picked up a 2015 Orange Civic Si and yes, will need to remove the built in amp and speakers soon. Sorry if this was posted somewhere else, but is there a list of which amps accept the differential balanced inputs? I saw JL Audio, but was looking for a more complete list of brands and models. Any help would be appreciated.

I found on Amazon a refurbished kappa one for $135 and it is great. I have it paired with an Alpine type r 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Just picked up a 2015 Orange Civic Si and yes, will need to remove the built in amp and speakers soon. Sorry if this was posted somewhere else, but is there a list of which amps accept the differential balanced inputs? I saw JL Audio, but was looking for a more complete list of brands and models. Any help would be appreciated.
When I did my research two years ago, I only found select JL Audio and select Infinity amps that featured differential balanced inputs. I don't know if more brands have now started to offer that feature. You have to read the specs carefully to find out. I chose the JL Audio amp because of the features and small size compared to the Infinity amp.

Hi, I'm upgrading the stock power amp with an after market amp in a 2013 Civic EX using a Boss 100x 4. I read earlier in a post that the pre outs are in fact line level outs so I assume splicing RCA's to the outs from the factory head unit is OK. There is a question about the wires coming off the HU marked as shield. I assume splicing these wires to braided shield wires on the RCA cables is where they should go. Also read you need a variable differential amp....well I made the purchase without knowing that and wondering if its going to be an issue I can't imagine the upgrade is limited to using only a JL and Infinity amp. Also, wondering if the bad Eq and crossovers will be illuminated with the stock amp as well,I know you mentioned it in the post ....just double checking. Thanks V

If you have premiumaudio in your car you will need an amp that accepts differentially balanced inputs. If you attempt to wire it to a regular amplifier you will not get a complete signal.

Also the shield in an RCA is the negative where the insulated wire is the positive. Remember each RCA input has the complete signal for 1 speaker (positive and negative in 1 connection)

What kind of stereo does my 2013 Civic EX-L sedan has?

As Webby said, your Civic EX-L Sedan has the standard stereo, without the external amp. It has hi-level speaker outputs. Use a line-out converter and any aftermarket amp of your choice. Many amps will also accept the hi-level input directly, so your choice. The only sedan that offers the premium audio stereo is the Si.

As Webby said, your Civic EX-L Sedan has the standard stereo, without the external amp. It has hi-level speaker outputs. Use a line-out converter and any aftermarket amp of your choice. Many amps will also accept the hi-level input directly, so your choice. The only sedan that offers the premium audio stereo is the Si.

I just purchased my first Honda and your stereo upgrade is high on the list. It's a 2013 ex coupe non nav. Is that a premium system? It certainly doesn't live up to the name. Thanks in advance.

I just purchased my first Honda and your stereo upgrade is high on the list. It's a 2013 ex coupe non nav. Is that a premium system? It certainly doesn't live up to the name. Thanks in advance.
The 2013 Civic EX Coupe has the premium audio system. To verify, since you do not have Navi, there will be a center mounted subwoofer in the rear deck. The 2013 Navi models said 'Premium Audio System' above the CD slot on the stereo. I don't know if the non-Navi stereos said 'Premium Audio System' on the head unit. The premium system sounds awful in the Hondas. The standard stereos sound better. So you can follow this guide for upgrading the stereo by ripping out the factory amp and replacing it with one that accepts differential balanced inputs.

The 2013 Civic EX Coupe has the premium audio system. To verify, since you do not have Navi, there will be a center mounted subwoofer in the rear deck. The 2013 Navi models said 'Premium Audio System' above the CD slot on the stereo. I don't know if the non-Navi stereos said 'Premium Audio System' on the head unit. The premium system sounds awful in the Hondas. The standard stereos sound better. So you can follow this guide for upgrading the stereo by ripping out the factory amp and replacing it with one that accepts differential balanced inputs.

Yup. That's it exactly. Your setup is exactly what I have been looking to do. It's perfect. Thanks again.

Hey Hillstones, I am currently piecing together everything to install the amp. I'm going to do that first then get the speakers. I got the harness from Mercman I am having issues trying to locate the speaker connector into the factory wiring harness. I don't want to cut the factory harness up. I would much prefer to have a plug and play option. Do you know how your install was performed?

Thanks in advance

Hey Hillstones, I am currently piecing together everything to install the amp. I'm going to do that first then get the speakers. I got the harness from Mercman I am having issues trying to locate the speaker connector into the factory wiring harness. I don't want to cut the factory harness up. I would much prefer to have a plug and play option. Do you know how your install was performed?

Thanks in advance
I don't believe there is a plug and play option with harnesses. My install was performed by cutting up the factory wiring at the harness going into and out of the factory amp. A stereo shop did the install.

I don't believe there is a plug and play option with harnesses. My install was performed by cutting up the factory wiring at the harness going into and out of the factory amp. A stereo shop did the install.

There is certainly nothing pre made. Looking at Mercman's harness explains why Metra didn't bother. I'm still on the hunt for a connector in some way, shape or form. I looked at a few used amps, too much for just one small part. Thanks for the reply.

Can I add navi to my standard non navi stereo system. Without having to replace the head unit. I want it stock looking.

So I would have to put an aftermarket head unit to be able to have navi.

Unless you want to spend over $2K for the Honda OEM Navi, and other related parts..GPS antenna, XM radio tuner, etc. I don't know what year/trim your Civic is, but Honda OEM head units are over $2K, so aftermarket is definitely cheaper.

msrp for the 2013 navi unit alone is over $3900 from honda new. You can obviously find some used, but you'd be still spending well over what you can find aftermarket units for.

in my kicker kx1600.1 owners manual it states this about inputs,
"The KX amplifier has dual input sensitivity differential RCA inputs which will receive either high or low level signals from your car stereo’s source unit. A high-level signal can be run from the source unit’s speaker outputs to the stereo RCA input on the end panel of the amplifier"

does that mean balanced it doesn't say balanced differential it just says differential rca inputs is this the same thing?

Back