3M Paint Defender. Liquid Clear Bra?

3m clearbra film is pretty much the most expensive film on the market. It's also some of the thickest available.

Has anyone been able to test the 3M Liquid Defender yet? I'm thinking about buying a few cans and giving it a go. Gotta protect my new Kona Coffee Civic :thumb:

Thanks!

It looks pretty good. I saw some wet spots, but he did say it was drying.

I sprayed mine the first day I got the car. One can had enough to do the front bumper the side Mirrors and the front leading edge of the hood.

I am going to redo mine as I didn't get some spots perfect and when I was removing the tape I peeled some corners. The only annoyance is that it has a sticky feeling and not smooth like paint. So when u are cleaning it it is almost like cleaning rubber.

Mines tw si sedan. Next go round I am going to remove the bumper and cover it instead of being careful not to get it on the radiator and probably went light on some spots

I sprayed mine the first day I got the car. One can had enough to do the front bumper the side Mirrors and the front leading edge of the hood.

I am going to redo mine as I didn't get some spots perfect and when I was removing the tape I peeled some corners. The only annoyance is that it has a sticky feeling and not smooth like paint. So when u are cleaning it it is almost like cleaning rubber.

I didn't know the texture is like that. I was assuming smooth bc it is clear. Lol. But it does protect the paint which matters the most.

It just drives me nuts that here we are, trying desperately to solve a problem that didn't exist until we created it by banning the use of tried and true binders, like lead. Yeah, I said it . . . lead. The earth killer. Oh wait, it comes from the earth. Doesn't that make it natural? Now I'm confused. PC run amuck.

My cbp Si looked bad after just 50 miles. It looks like Shyte after 16k miles. From the base of the bumper through the hood and up both windshield pillars. Rock chips down to the metal everywhere. I even have one on the roof! I have NEVER owned a car with such poor, thin paint as this. Honda has officially refused liability for it. I had filed a claim. They call it "damage, " meaning it is somehow my fault for driving it on the highway, 7 miles each way, to and from work. It's never been on a gravel driveway, let alone road.I call it damage due to a defective water-based paint and too thin a clearcoat.

How many of you out there in your new 9th gens see a big dump truck up ahead and try to figure out how to avoid getting anywhere near it? I do now!

What did Honda America say about my defective paint claim? Go pound sand. So spend what you want to protect their thin-assed paint, because Honda America does not and will not have your back on this one. Guaranteed.

AMEN TO THAT BROTHA !!!!! :rockwoot:

honda will not do anything for the simple fact that they would have to do all the cars not just civics ...accords and so on and so fourth they know that if they take care care of this problem everyone will join the band wagon and then they lose ALOT of $$$

Last edited:
last time i was at my dealer doing the oil change they asked so how do you like the car ??? and i told them that i cant believe how honda had the actual balls to sell these hondas to customers with this cheap thin paint... that alone makes me wanna trade it in ! he opened his eyes wide because im sure he didnt expect that from me put his head down and said yeah i know we are getting alot of that same complaint from others but we cant do anything about it because corparate wont take responsibility for it ..

Last edited:
^^^ :1: ^^^
I complained about the paint in the JD Powers initial survey, less than a month after buying the car. In fact, exiting the car for the first time, my heel caught the sill and left a 3" scratch down to the metal. I was in street shoes. I guess you wear rubber soled shoes in these cars or make sure you never ever touch the paint with anything. I was so disappointed with the way Honda Amer. handled my claim that I told them I was going to start a lemon law action. But that's a PITA. I'd rather see a class action suit. There have to be hungry lawyers out there who would do this. Must be hundreds of thousands of disgruntled Honda owners by now.

There was a class action against Mitsubishi a few years back over their black paint on 8 model years worth of cars because it was fading and peeling really bad. Mitsubishi paid 75% of the cost of a new paint job.

Same thing happened on the 8thgens involving three colors that faded prematurely and getting crows feet. Honda paid 100% for a new paint job on the affected areas.

AMEN TO THAT BROTHA !!!!! :rockwoot:

honda will not do anything for the simple fact that they would have to do all the cars not just civics ...accords and so on and so fourth they know that if they take care care of this problem everyone will join the band wagon and then they lose ALOT of $$$
Right! They ought to forget about trying to be the greenest car company then. They are not ready for prime-time on that one. If they want to take these risks, then they have to expect failures. When they fail, they have to man up for it.

It just drives me nuts that here we are, trying desperately to solve a problem that didn't exist until we created it by banning the use of tried and true binders, like lead. Yeah, I said it . . . lead. The earth killer. Oh wait, it comes from the earth. Doesn't that make it natural? Now I'm confused. PC run amuck.

Arsenic is also "natural", but I wouldn't recommend ingesting any.

There is growing evidence that removing lead from gasoline may have been a significant factor in the decline in crime rates that has been occurring:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

Lead really is bad for us, and for our environment, and limiting its use in industry is worthwhile, IMO. There are cases of PC run amuck, but this isn't one of them.

Arsenic is also "natural", but I wouldn't recommend ingesting any.

There is growing evidence that removing lead from gasoline may have been a significant factor in the decline in crime rates that has been occurring:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

Lead really is bad for us, and for our environment, and limiting its use in industry is worthwhile, IMO. There are cases of PC run amuck, but this isn't one of them.
No personal disrespect meant to you, but yours is just an idiotic statement. Mother Jones. Great source. A bastion of scientific discourse. Let's be clear. I never said a word about lead ingestion. Sure lead is bad for us if we injest it, so don't do that! Let's be clear. I never suggested that we reintroduce lead into gasoline, which renders that hilarious article moot. Morever, when was the last time that lead escaped from the paint on your car, infected a person, who then committed a violent crime? I used lead as an example of a good binding agent for paint. You took the opportunity to distort that and to begin a political "conversation" on crime rates in cities? It's ludicrous. And, as for arsenic, just like lead, it has valuable uses. Small amounts of it are added to germanium transistors. If you ever had a GOOD boost pedal for your guitar, it contained arsenic. it's also used in weapons manufacturing to make harder and rounder bullets. But I discourage eating bullets and boost pedals. Gallium arsenide can produce laser light directly from electricity. So, did I suggest that we ingest lead? No. Are there viable uses for arsenic? I guess we shouldn't use these elemental compounds for anything, because they could be abused for something. There are oth . . . nevermind. People believe what they want to believe. I am done with this thread. You have proven my point.

Last edited:
No personal disrespect meant to you, but yours is just an idiotic statement. Mother Jones. Great source. A bastion of scientific discourse. Let's be clear. I never said a word about lead ingestion. Sure lead is bad for us if we injest it, so don't do that! Let's be clear. I never suggested that we reintroduce lead into gasoline, which renders that hilarious article moot. Morever, when was the last time that lead escaped from the paint on your car, infected a person, who then committed a violent crime? I used lead as an example of a good binding agent for paint. You took the opportunity to distort that and to begin a political "conversation" on crime rates in cities? It's ludicrous. And, as for arsenic, just like lead, it has valuable uses. Small amounts of it are added to germanium transistors. If you ever had a GOOD boost pedal for your guitar, it contained arsenic. it's also used in weapons manufacturing to make harder and rounder bullets. But I discourage eating bullets and boost pedals. Gallium arsenide can produce laser light directly from electricity. So, did I suggest that we ingest lead? No. Are there viable uses for arsenic? I guess we shouldn't use these elemental compounds for anything, because they could be abused for something. There are oth . . . nevermind. People believe what they want to believe. I am done with this thread. You have proven my point.

First off, please be a bit more respectful.

Second, Mother Jones or not, the article referenced by MarkA sources a study published by Tulane School of Medicine and Colorado State University in a peer reviewed journal article.

First off, please be a bit more respectful.

Second, Mother Jones or not, the article referenced by MarkA sources a study published by Tulane School of Medicine and Colorado State University in a peer reviewed journal article.
I saw the sources of the studies, but respect is earned, not given. OP did not respect my words, twisting them to fit a narrative, so I gave a well-reasoned reply. If your point is that we should all be respectful here, I understand. If it is to line up behind OP on the science, I get that, too. Thanks Squiggy.

Back