420Coupe's BOSS R18A1

Yea, because of the single outlet exhaust like the R18, however, there is ALWAYS stuff you need to get after and that always adds up.

While I agree with that, it's an added cost for an intercooler that ALREADY is completely sh!tty and very inefficient.

most people just want an extra 50-75 whp gain for street use, they are not into bracket racing when split seconds matters..

it's also why cte is good f/i kit, it's simple, it's easy... you can finish the install within a day. not everyone can leave their car at a shop for 3 months.

I totally know I have spent way more than any K series owner ever would and the power wasn't worth the money because the TSI kit is like fighting an uphill battle. If I had gone with the Full Race kit, that would have been a COMPLETELY different story. You will LOVE the amount of torque you get from this. Consider the results of the power to be like the Subie Boxer engine. Depending on the intake manifold you use, your torque curve will be slightly higher, or lower than the hp curve, HOWEVER, they will be really close together, like the SOHC F series engines.

In the end though, The R18 rods are thin. They are thinner than a 3/8" socket extension. this is because Honda wanted to reduce rotational mass and friction to help reduce pumping losses. This in turns makes the R18 not handle 300+whp without breaking rods quickly. Once you go north of 280whp, if you don't have forged rods and pistons, expect the rods to break. That has been documented in that Turbo R18 thread over on 8thCivic.

F-R still looks like it has some crazy bends coming off the flange. Big difference on the rods though.

@Nyghtstalkr ! I'm glad you're here man! I used to reference your thread and all your info for people with questions about their R18s all the time. Finally they can get some serious answers from a first hand turbo R18 guy! Really good stuff. Thanks for all the info also.

@Nyghtstalkr ! I'm glad you're here man! I used to reference your thread and all your info for people with questions about their R18s all the time. Finally they can get some serious answers from a first hand turbo R18 guy! Really good stuff. Thanks for all the info also.

Thank you. This forum seems a whole lot better with its function and format! I like it a lot better than 8th.

I've been banned off 8th soo many times hahahahahahah. Turbo cost $$ if you're complaining about the cost of the kit dont even bother. You have to have enough set aside where if something does go wrong you have $$$ to fix it and continue playing. Gotta pay to play bro, boosting is quite the expensive hobby.

At least r18 blocks and trans are pretty cheap. $800 or less for a full engine. AH parts look like their currently running a little low on 8thgen cars though....

I'm debating getting a new car or the jackson SC kit.

I'm debating getting a new car or the jackson SC kit.

After reading up more about all this on 8thcivic and stuff thats kinda where Im at for the turbo. I knew it wouldn't be cheap so I'm okay with that because I planned for that. I dont have bags of $$ layun around, but Im deff in a pretty good situation so I could get it now... OR if I wait 2 more years I can put that money+my cars trade in value towards a different car.
But it seems like there's alot of down time with the turbo's too, and I really need to have a driveable car for at least till graduation. Ugh! Like a few days ago this was an easy decision, but now after seeing some more stuff about it..... not so sure

or you can just buy a used complete kit and avoid all the learning mistakes we went through. Also just have YURI tune it idc who you know in person that can tune blah blah blah just use YURI case solved. Although Nix is right the used parts you can get a complete long block for under $800.

Id just like it to be a little bit faster. Surprise stock SI guys and all that. hahaha.

I had though about buying an Si in the same color and then just doing an entire interior swap so it would look as LX-ish as possible.

Id just like it to be a little bit faster. Surprise stock SI guys and all that. hahaha.

I had though about buying an Si in the same color and then just doing an entire interior swap so it would look as LX-ish as possible.

You are aiming too low. Be like us Si guys who want to boost and surprise the muscle cars and other boosted imports.

Like a few days ago this was an easy decision, but now after seeing some more stuff about it..... not so sure

Just from experience do all your preliminary research first and have a defined build laid out on paper before you make any purchases. This will save you several headaches in the long run. Small things like dress up accessories don't have to be decided ahead of time, but anything that is a major component, including the cost of proper tuning should be factored in ahead of time.

As far as reliability its very much in the tune, don't cheap out here, and keeping up with regular maintenance. There are thousands of reliable daily driven turbo and supercharged cars around. They have good tunes and were built within the limits of the parts that were used. When you start pushing the limits that's when you will start breaking things.

Just from experience do all your preliminary research first and have a defined build laid out on paper before you make any purchases. This will save you several headaches in the long run. Small things like dress up accessories don't have to be decided ahead of time, but anything that is a major component, including the cost of proper tuning should be factored in ahead of time.

As far as reliability its very much in the tune, don't cheap out here, and keeping up with regular maintenance. There are thousands of reliable daily driven turbo and supercharged cars around. They have good tunes and were built within the limits of the parts that were used. When you start pushing the limits that's when you will start breaking things.

Exactly. Case in point, my engine. I got boost hungry and the worst case of blow by I've seen in a while.

Back