DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

Wait, how does it turn on in the diag screen? Its only suppose to be on when there power to the reverse lights (both camera power and reverse signal). So if you are able to put it on without putting it in reverse than the wiring isnt right.

So, the camera comes on when I put the car in reverse; while in the diag screen. When the car is not in reverse, the diag screen is black with the guidelines. When I put it in reverse not in diag, nothing happens. Is it possible that I have #14 and #18 switched? I wouldn't think anything would happen in that case, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Works great!!! took me a little time to understand everything completely, but manage to get everything to work properly. So thanks a lot!

Does pin #18 need to be inserted into slot #18 (camera ground) or can that wire be grounded anywhere? If anywhere, where did you ground it? @ADExternal

EDIT: Found answer. Yes, it needs to go to pin #18

Last edited:
Might be a stupid question, but will this work on civic hatchback 2012 se ?
Yes. Putting the camera in the trunk will be different than this DIY however. All the wiring will be the same though.

BTW. I will be finishing the installation of mine on the weekend.

Last edited:
Yes. Putting the camera in the truck will be different than this DIY however. All the wiring will be the same though.

BTW. I will be finishing the installation of mine on the weekend.
you realize this person was asking about the hatchback model found in europe?

q9txIqP.jpg

you realize this person was asking about the hatchback model found in europe?

q9txIqP.jpg
Whoa....no, I did not realize this. I was just in my dealership and they has 2012 LXs and EXs with SE badges on them because they had sportier rims on them. I just assumed that he had one of those. I'll attach a pic later of what I saw.

So, hmmmmmm, not so sure if the this will work on that model. Is the Imid the same over there? If so, logic says that it should work, but this would need to be verified.

Thank you for your response. Another question, is camera meant to be a special one or any cam with rca output and 12 volts should work.
And to test if its working I can basically plug it behind imid directly to required pins and go to menu+source camera, right?

Thank you for your response. Another question, is camera meant to be a special one or any cam with rca output and 12 volts should work.
And to test if its working I can basically plug it behind imid directly to required pins and go to menu+source camera, right?

The reverse camera is unique due to it reverse picture output. But yes, any 12v rca input will work with the imid.

Yes, people have used different cameras so no problem.

EDIT: ADEx beat me to it.

I used a Boyo license plate frame camera on my 2012 Civic Natural Gas edition. Works really well. The Boyo came with a long cable and was setup for all the electrical connections to be made at the dash. I did some probing and located the reverse light circuit at the under dash fuse panel. It is in the top wiring harness connector as shown in the photo below. Top row, 4th position from the left side. Brown wire with 2 silver marking dots. Just release the cable harness by depressing the clip on the right side & flipping the lever towards you. Unwrap some of the electrical tape, then tap into the brown wire several inches away from the harness connector. This circuit will provide +12VDC when the car is in reverse only.
ReverseLightWire.jpg

I used a Boyo license plate frame camera on my 2012 Civic Natural Gas edition. Works really well. The Boyo came with a long cable and was setup for all the electrical connections to be made at the dash. I did some probing and located the reverse light circuit at the under dash fuse panel. It is in the top wiring harness connector as shown in the photo below. Top row, 4th position from the left side. Brown wire with 2 silver marking dots. Just release the cable harness by depressing the clip on the right side & flipping the lever towards you. Unwrap some of the electrical tape, then tap into the brown wire several inches away from the harness connector. This circuit will provide +12VDC when the car is in reverse only.
View attachment 27758
Ya, that's another option. Or you can just tap the reverse light wire like in the DIY.

Back