DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

yes, they are correct.
It doesn't matter American or Canadian i-MID, this mod works.

For the 32 pin connector, how does the black part on the connector move up. It seems to firmly set on the connector. Does the black part hold in the pins of the wire?

For the 32 pin connector, how does the black part on the connector move up. It seems to firmly set on the connector. Does the black part hold in the pins of the wire?

Yea, it pops up a little with a tiny flat screwdriver but it doesnt come off.

not sure if anyone has experienced this issue, but my camera would occasionally not trigger the imid to switch screens. I'd say this issue occurs about one in six tries. I know that there is power going to the camera as i can see it when i manually enter the screen.

i thought maybe a pinched wire, bad ground or loose connection but i don't know. the frequency of ther problem seems a little strange.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong fellas but the signal for the imid to switch screens comes from the reverse light wire, check that one.

It happened to me once. The car was not properly in the reverse gear. I'm sure they are okay, but just in case....Are your reverse lights going on when the imid screen is not working?

My guess, like 323, is that you have a weak splice connection into the reverse wire.

the car is definitely in reverse gear with the reverse lights on, hence I am getting camera power.

my setup has a imid trigger wire and a camera power wire. both are tapped into the reverse signal wire in the fuse box. camera turns on but screen doesn't switch.

The way I see it is, if the power wires are spliced well then the only other possibilities I can think of is a wire has been pinched/cut or the connection to the Imid is not good. I doubt it would be the mid connection because there's no movement there. Pinched wire seems more likely. I still think it's a power issue though.

@ADExternal

i thought it might be pinched somewhere too. it's just funny how this only occurs about one in six times i put it in reverse. usually, just restarting the car would also fix the issue.
i think it might have to do with static either from a bad ground or insulation.

Great write-up! I didn't have time to sift through 18 pages of comments. Did anyone confirm if this will work with the Si model?

I hate to ask a question that has already been answered, but has anyone done this on a Si with Navi? I'm willing to try if no one else has.

Hi, same as Pauly, I'll be doing this mod once the weather becomes warmer (just 2 of 3 years later :P).
I am ordering everything I needs but I have a question regarding the male RCA cable.
i don't understand why the male connector needs to be opened up...
Couldn't I just cut the wire prior the connector and remove the insulation of both wire?
I was considering running the rca cable with an male-male rca extension up to my front dash, and then using a female rca splitterto wires to do a cleaner job:
Amazon product
View: http://www.amazon.com/IEC-Speaker-Female-Black-adapter/dp/B003U44LBM

I had bad experiences in the past with rca cable splicing, don't want to screw things up...

EDIT: I just read Joe Liu comments about tapping the reverse light fuse in the front fusebox... Would it do the same result as running the wire from the trunk up to the front dash? I really hate to run wires through cars, it damages the rugs and there always seems to be connections problems...

So basically I could be powering up the camera from splicing one of my 2 reverse light, wiring the rca cable up front and using a add a circuit to send the reverse light signal to I-Mid...
Does that makes sense?

EDIT EDIT: Nevermind that part on damaging the rug... I'd need to run the RCA cable anyway... So this method would be just to get a good reverse signal to the I-Mid...

Last edited:
I am ordering everything I needs but I have a question regarding the male RCA cable.
i don't understand why the male connector needs to be opened up...
Couldn't I just cut the wire prior the connector and remove the insulation of both wire?
I was considering running the rca cable with an male-male rca extension up to my front dash, and then using a female rca splitterto wires to do a cleaner job:
Amazon product
View: http://www.amazon.com/IEC-Speaker-Female-Black-adapter/dp/B003U44LBM

EDIT: I just read Joe Liu comments about tapping the reverse light fuse in the front fusebox... Would it do the same result as running the wire from the trunk up to the front dash? I really hate to run wires through cars, it damages the rugs and there always seems to be connections problems...

So basically I could be powering up the camera from splicing one of my 2 reverse light, wiring the rca cable up front and using a add a circuit to send the reverse light signal to I-Mid...
Does that makes sense?..

It was so long ago that I did all this so my memory is a bit foggy. I'll try to answer your questions though. The splicing of the RCA cable idea makes sense to me.

I haven't read the specific comment about getting the signal from the fuse box. Once again, it kind of makes sense, however, it was very easy to tap into the reverse signal. IMO, easier to do it there than the fuse box.

You can buy small plastic wire tap things at any electronics store.

image.jpg

Back