DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

Discussion in 'Honda Accessory DIY' started by AlienPrime, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Gruby

Gruby New Member

Vehicle Model:
    Honda Civic 4D
    Body Style:
    sedan
    Hi. :) Does anyone know that the camera PAL (not NTSC) works with iMID?
    If not, whether it is possible to switch computer to receive PAL signal?

2. webby
    • Staff
    • 2020 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

I don't know that anyone has tried this outside of the US/Canada. I would try it out and see if the camera works. If it wouldn't, you can swap to a NTSC camera for around $15 from ebay.

3. Mr Han

Mr Han New Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic SI
    Body Style:
    Coupe
  4. mpcr34

mpcr34 New Member

Hi ADExternal.

I'm struggling to find the OEM reverse camera feed and ground feed for my UK built 2014 Honda Civic Hatchback VTi-L (FK model) (sold to Australia).

It doesn't have navigation and the OEM headunit is as pictured. When I put it in reverse, the OEM camera displays on the i-MID screen.

As pictured, the wiring on my i-MID plug looks completely different to your diagram. I've only managed to find the reverse trigger (red splicer). I've also uploaded a photo of the i-MID from behind to aid identification.

Any help would be advantageous. Thank you.

20160514_160630-1.jpg 20160514_160625-1.jpg 20160514_153901-1.jpg
    NU52483_10_2012-honda-civic.jpeg

5. Tom's Si

Tom's Si Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    So why is the first one pointing up? Wasn't there a section on modification of the camera? Where did it go?

6. flavio53

flavio53 New Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic LXR
    Body Style:
    Sedan
    I have a question, but I don't know if this is the place to do... But I'll take the risk...
    My 2016 LXR Civic already has a factory backup camera.
    I want to install a Mirror Cast to mirror my cell phone in the I-Mid. This device has one RCA lead for video and two others to audio. It also requires 12V and Ground on two other leads.
    I'm thinking about to use the 18/19 pins of the I-Mid conector (grab the wires) to send video information to I-Mid and 12 V to the 14 pin through a switch to screen change.
    Both audio leads conected to the Aux door of the sound system.
    Does it works?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  7. RAGordy

RAGordy Active Member

Installed this backup camera on my 2012 civic coupe this weekend. The installation itself went without a hitch, but the camera required some modifications.

Thanks!

8. chucksomerock

chucksomerock Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic EX
    Body Style:
    sedan
    Look through this current thread. Someone tried to plug an USB video source to his I-mid. He got rid of it because it would sometimes interfere with the normal behavior of the I-mid i think...

EDIT:
    http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/adexternals-imid-player-rca-add-on.7390/

There it is!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  9. Anthony E.

Anthony E. Well-Known Member

Hi there, i'm trying to do this on my Non-Navi Si 2015 but seems like the Reverse trigger (pin #14) is not working or the i-Mid for this latests model has been changed (?).

Tried with different cameras and nothing. I can see the camera if i enter in Diagnotic Mode.

The thing is when i put the Reverse, the imid doesn't do anything like ignoring the reverse.

I was thinking that my reverse or the wiring in the trunk was wrong, so i take it from the Fuse box and NOTHING.

Then, i was thinking that the PINs on the i-mid connector wn't doing contact SO i opened the i-mid (yes, im crazy :P) and soldering some wires directly to the pins in the board of the i-mid and doing the wiring from the reverse and camera video/ground directy AND NOTHING.

I 've tried almost everything in order to Debug but not luck.

Any ideas?

[​IMG] 20160928_121748.jpg 20160928_123950.jpg 20160928_115543.jpg 20160927_161113.jpg

10. webby
    • Staff
    • 2020 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

It's a 2015? You have a backup camera from the factory....?

11. Anthony E.

2015 and no camera neither navi

12. webby
    • Staff
    • 2020 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

The 2015 civic has a standard backup camera in the i-mid display. The 2012 didn't have one from the factory. It became a factory standard option in 2013. Check your manual.

13. Anthony E.

Doesn't have any camera. I bought it new from Honda so i know it comes without it from factory. Also, the I-mid connector seems very basic (the wiring) like the LX version.

BTW: I believe this is the same model for Mexican market. I'm in Dominican Republic. Latinoamerica market (?) maybe that's why it comes without any extra accesory. But using the logic. the I-mid and wiring should be the same Globally speaking...

14. webby
    • Staff
    • 2020 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

ah, the vehicles being discussed here are the US/Canadian market civic models. There are different versions in other countries that have different configurations and options we don't have here.

15. ted928

ted928 Well-Known Member

I have a 2012 LX sedan. Can anyone recommend a kit?
    Thanks

16. webby
    • Staff
    • 2020 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

A kit? What are you referring to?

17. ted928

ted928 Well-Known Member

I was referring to a backup camera kit. I purchased and I will post my results. I ordered a different camera mount than the type discussed in this thread. Hopefully it will mount well. We will see.
    I was hoping for a plug and play kit but the two kits I saw were very expensive ($150). It looks like the only benefit of the plug n play kit is that you do not have to add the three pins. not worth it.
    I'll post my results.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  18. webby
    • Staff
    • 2020 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

I had no idea someone was making kits of the parts needed to do this. Was it something from like eBay?

19. ted928

ted928 Well-Known Member

A bought this universal kit (camera and wire).
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/232266611574
    I hope it mounts better than the plate light location that required mods to improve the view.

The better kits (I saw only a few) include a harness which appears to only eliminate the need for the three pins but ~$160.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2013-H...ash=item33a696ddaa:g:27AAAOSwys5WULKm&vxp=mtr

20. ted928

ted928 Well-Known Member

I received the kit today. The bad news is that instead of two nuts to adjust the camera mounting offset, the camera has only one nut. Not sure if I need two nuts as maybe a snug fit will work. Hopefully I can mount it so it will have a clear view. We will see.

The good news is that the long video cable (yellow RCA plugs) also incorporates a red wire so that will carry power when reversing. So this 3 wire cable will run from rear to the front dash carrying video signal (center of plug), ground/shielding (outer), and power when in reverse without having to add another wire. This makes my happy as adding wire to a multi-wire cable looks like a bad hack.

I ordered this for the three female pins I will need.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/171979508848
    This kit has more female connector pins than needed (need 3) but I want to install the center dome bulb.
    I will install in a few days.

Last edited: May 18, 2017