DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

Hi. :) Does anyone know that the camera PAL (not NTSC) works with iMID?
If not, whether it is possible to switch computer to receive PAL signal?

Hi. :) Does anyone know that the camera PAL (not NTSC) works with iMID?
If not, whether it is possible to switch computer to receive PAL signal?
I don't know that anyone has tried this outside of the US/Canada. I would try it out and see if the camera works. If it wouldn't, you can swap to a NTSC camera for around $15 from ebay.

Hi ADExternal.

I'm struggling to find the OEM reverse camera feed and ground feed for my UK built 2014 Honda Civic Hatchback VTi-L (FK model) (sold to Australia).

It doesn't have navigation and the OEM headunit is as pictured. When I put it in reverse, the OEM camera displays on the i-MID screen.

As pictured, the wiring on my i-MID plug looks completely different to your diagram. I've only managed to find the reverse trigger (red splicer). I've also uploaded a photo of the i-MID from behind to aid identification.

Any help would be advantageous. Thank you.

20160514_160630-1.jpg 20160514_160625-1.jpg 20160514_153901-1.jpg
NU52483_10_2012-honda-civic.jpeg

I have a question, but I don't know if this is the place to do... But I'll take the risk...
My 2016 LXR Civic already has a factory backup camera.
I want to install a Mirror Cast to mirror my cell phone in the I-Mid. This device has one RCA lead for video and two others to audio. It also requires 12V and Ground on two other leads.
I'm thinking about to use the 18/19 pins of the I-Mid conector (grab the wires) to send video information to I-Mid and 12 V to the 14 pin through a switch to screen change.
Both audio leads conected to the Aux door of the sound system.
Does it works?

Last edited:
Installed this backup camera on my 2012 civic coupe this weekend. The installation itself went without a hitch, but the camera required some modifications.

Thanks!

I have a question, but I don't know if this is the place to do... But I'll take the risk...
My 2016 LXR Civic already has a factory backup camera.
I want to install a Mirror Cast to mirror my cell phone in the I-Mid. This device has one RCA lead for video and two others to audio. It also requires 12V and Ground on two other leads.
I'm thinking about to use the 18/19 pins of the I-Mid conector (grab the wires) to send video information to I-Mid and 12 V to the 14 pin through a switch to screen change.
Both audio leads conected to the Aux door of the sound system.
Does it works?
Look through this current thread. Someone tried to plug an USB video source to his I-mid. He got rid of it because it would sometimes interfere with the normal behavior of the I-mid i think...

EDIT:
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/adexternals-imid-player-rca-add-on.7390/

There it is!

Last edited:
Hi there, i'm trying to do this on my Non-Navi Si 2015 but seems like the Reverse trigger (pin #14) is not working or the i-Mid for this latests model has been changed (?).

Tried with different cameras and nothing. I can see the camera if i enter in Diagnotic Mode.

The thing is when i put the Reverse, the imid doesn't do anything like ignoring the reverse.

I was thinking that my reverse or the wiring in the trunk was wrong, so i take it from the Fuse box and NOTHING.

Then, i was thinking that the PINs on the i-mid connector wn't doing contact SO i opened the i-mid (yes, im crazy :P) and soldering some wires directly to the pins in the board of the i-mid and doing the wiring from the reverse and camera video/ground directy AND NOTHING.

I 've tried almost everything in order to Debug but not luck.

Any ideas?

3eab2cee-32f2-4a16-aa05-17a3225c88c2
20160928_121748.jpg 20160928_123950.jpg 20160928_115543.jpg 20160927_161113.jpg

Hi there, i'm trying to do this on my Non-Navi Si 2015 but seems like the Reverse trigger (pin #14) is not working or the i-Mid for this latests model has been changed (?).

Tried with different cameras and nothing. I can see the camera if i enter in Diagnotic Mode.

The thing is when i put the Reverse, the imid doesn't do anything like ignoring the reverse.

I was thinking that my reverse or the wiring in the trunk was wrong, so i take it from the Fuse box and NOTHING.

Then, i was thinking that the PINs on the i-mid connector wn't doing contact SO i opened the i-mid (yes, im crazy :P) and soldering some wires directly to the pins in the board of the i-mid and doing the wiring from the reverse and camera video/ground directy AND NOTHING.

I 've tried almost everything in order to Debug but not luck.

Any ideas?

3eab2cee-32f2-4a16-aa05-17a3225c88c2
View attachment 53658 View attachment 53659 View attachment 53660 View attachment 53661
It's a 2015? You have a backup camera from the factory....?

2015 and no camera neither navi
The 2015 civic has a standard backup camera in the i-mid display. The 2012 didn't have one from the factory. It became a factory standard option in 2013. Check your manual.

The 2015 civic has a standard backup camera in the i-mid display. The 2012 didn't have one from the factory. It became a factory standard option in 2013. Check your manual.

Doesn't have any camera. I bought it new from Honda so i know it comes without it from factory. Also, the I-mid connector seems very basic (the wiring) like the LX version.

BTW: I believe this is the same model for Mexican market. I'm in Dominican Republic. Latinoamerica market (?) maybe that's why it comes without any extra accesory. But using the logic. the I-mid and wiring should be the same Globally speaking...

ah, the vehicles being discussed here are the US/Canadian market civic models. There are different versions in other countries that have different configurations and options we don't have here.

I was referring to a backup camera kit. I purchased and I will post my results. I ordered a different camera mount than the type discussed in this thread. Hopefully it will mount well. We will see.
I was hoping for a plug and play kit but the two kits I saw were very expensive ($150). It looks like the only benefit of the plug n play kit is that you do not have to add the three pins. not worth it.
I'll post my results.

Last edited:
I had no idea someone was making kits of the parts needed to do this. Was it something from like eBay?

I had no idea someone was making kits of the parts needed to do this. Was it something from like eBay?
A bought this universal kit (camera and wire).
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232266611574
I hope it mounts better than the plate light location that required mods to improve the view.

The better kits (I saw only a few) include a harness which appears to only eliminate the need for the three pins but ~$160.
s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2013-H...ash=item33a696ddaa:g:27AAAOSwys5WULKm&vxp=mtr

I received the kit today. The bad news is that instead of two nuts to adjust the camera mounting offset, the camera has only one nut. Not sure if I need two nuts as maybe a snug fit will work. Hopefully I can mount it so it will have a clear view. We will see.

The good news is that the long video cable (yellow RCA plugs) also incorporates a red wire so that will carry power when reversing. So this 3 wire cable will run from rear to the front dash carrying video signal (center of plug), ground/shielding (outer), and power when in reverse without having to add another wire. This makes my happy as adding wire to a multi-wire cable looks like a bad hack.

I ordered this for the three female pins I will need.
s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171979508848
This kit has more female connector pins than needed (need 3) but I want to install the center dome bulb.
I will install in a few days.

Last edited:
Back