Anyone else having battery issues?

My battery barely turns over in the morning but the car fires right up. If it had to crank for very long, I'm sure I'd be toast. EVERY time I've been to the dealership (and I go there a lot for free car washes) I see at least one (always a 9th gen civic) getting its battery checked/worked on over in a special complaints area. Always thought it odd 'til mine started acting up.

The OE batteries are cheap crap...but do you guys realize there is a PCM update for this problem? Basically, the alternator on old PCM software does not charge at idle or low engine rpm. This allows the battery to slowly become discharged. Most noticeable for those with short commutes.
This is exactly what happened today. Went in to the dealership for my battery test and came out with my 3rd battery (covered under warranty) and they also did the software update so that the alternator is properly charging the battery. My dealership doesn't think that I'll be having any more issues now, but they did say that they replaced hundred's of 2012 batteries before Honda came out with the update. I would say that a lot of other people could be affected by this and don't even know it because they either travel further distances on a daily basis (my work commute is pretty short) or live in a climate with milder weather (as in, not Eastern Canada) so they haven't had battery trouble yet.

Fingers are crossed that this solves my battery mystery once and for all! :driving:

Hmmmmmmm.......what exactly is the update?
I have a long commute. So maybe my battery needs changing.

I'm pretty sure I have a weak battery though.
I was surprised in the summer while doing a mod with the door open and stereo playing that the battery died. I didn't have them on for that long. WhenI turned the key there was absolutely no turn over noise at all. I actually thought my mod had screwed up the ignition wiring somehow.

Last edited:
That's all the info they gave me so I can't say exactly what this update was, just that it was an update of some sort, lol. But if you've had an issue then it's definitely worth calling you dealership (even if you have to slightly exaggerate your battery problem) to see if they will update it. My initial battery crapped out during a severe cold snap last winter, but the first time my 2nd battery died it was while the radio was on for a drive-in movie, and then again when the headlights were on for maybe 5 minutes max when the car wasn't running. It was only it's more recent failures (in the past 2 weeks) that could be attributed to the weather.

Hmm. I'll have to look at my slip to see if they update my ecu. It feels like they did tho cuz the car runs differently.

Damn I've had no problems at all.. Still turns over like day one. And there's plenty of nights hanging out in the garage with friends and the civic has become the favorite "boombox" now haha..Still starts the next morning no problem.

Then again I live on the west coast and it's usually garage parked...usually.. :)

Software update? Hmmmm. :think:

I wonder what exactly that means. A rewrite that ensures more power is going to the battery, but where was that power going prior, and what else might be affected by this change?

I haven't had any issues yet and we've had some chilly mornings....ok damn cold mornings. This is great info to have though. Thanks for posting the info in the update.

Not anymore
pa4ejeda.jpg

Only problem being....if there really is a software update needed...it's going to kill any battery used until the update is done.

Some info links for ppl with voltmeters..

http://chemelec.com/Projects/Alternator/Alternator.htm

Manufacturers advise to trickle charge a nickel-based battery for 16 to 24 hours when new and after a long storage. This allows the cells to adjust to each other and bring them to an equal charge level. A slow charge also helps to redistribute the electrolyte to eliminate dry spots on the separator that might have developed by gravitation.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prime_batteries

Oh I'm going to look into that,I don't want my new battery screwed up.

i got tired of parking on a hill wherever i went for fear of that car not starting, sometimes fired up great sometimes slowly just barely catching,, 2 weeks ago i bit the bullet and bought a new battery (i was a month over the 2 year free replacement)

i got a letter from honda on the 24th, turns out theres a problem with the Battery Management System software misinterpreting the battery state of charge, resulting in insufficient charge cycle for the battery (kind of explains a problem i noticed in the summer where my lights would dim when id come to a stop every so often), it says there is an update available and to book an appointment asap.

also for people who have already replaced their battery like me, it came with an application for reimbursement, problem is i installed the battery myself and the app requires some pretty specific info only a shop work-order could give you, so im **** out of luck there

Back