Anyone tried the K&N Drop-in filter?

Well I will join the K&N club. I purchased mine used from a member on here who picked up a cai. For $25 shipped it seemed like a good deal. It's in the mail now.

first off - welcome to the site. I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to on k&n?

http://www.knfilters.com/efficiency_testing.htm (maybe not?)

bobistheoilguy did a test between a bunch of filters years back - if you want to take a read
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
follow the links at the bottom of that page to see the comparison testing between brands.

I'm not cheerleading for one brand over another. Sorry to see you had issues

Thanks for thes references - I had not seen either rreport before - very interesting!

However my point still is that for engine protection I certainly am not happy with even 99% (I must have gotten the 96% one that let through 4% of the dust that wore my engine so fast!) I really want something like 99.9% or better.

Still...... and I copy/paste from the "bobistheoilguy report": first the good news and then the not so good news:

"Of the 3 types of media tested, the cotton gauze type filters flow best. There are other brands besides K&N for sale, of which most are probably made by K&N for resellers. Foam air filters flowed marginally better than paper."

"That said, both the cotton gauze type (K&N) and foam filters (Amsoil & Jackson Racing) showed the same levels of filtration. Both performed poorly compared to the fiberous or paper filters (Napa, Baldwin, and Mazda)."

Since I feel I must protect my super expensive engine first and foremost, I would need to use the best possible filter medium: fiberous or paper. Since their flow is not as good and they clog faster; I sure wish they were just designed to be much bigger in area (that woud give both better flow and longer life). However most are designed to flow well enough to yield full power when brand new (refer to some of the other dyno results in this forum) the only option, from my point of view, is just to keep replacing the factory units as soon as they look dirty. {Pity about the sound though, as some of these aftermarket CAI & K&N's sound absolutley terrific! But I feel that I need to protect my engine.....}

Anyway thank you for maintaining and running a super Forum! To me, this forum is by far the best, most enjoyable and most informative of them all. I struggle to get info out of TOV and 9thgencivic (but that might be just me and not having enough inteernet savy).

Glad to hear you're enjoying the site. Another thing you may want to invest in is a magnetic drain bolt. It would probably be worthwhile to see how it looks after your next few oil changes. Might be helpful to know if there are other issues that need investigating if things do not look good down the road? Unless you're sending your oil out for analysis after your changes now?

My accord ran for 200,000 miles on conventional oil and paper filters. Still ran great but the car deteriorated around the engine.

My filter arrived via UPS this morning. I just finished installing it.
One thing I noticed is that it's much thinner than the OEM filter, I would say half of its size.
I will post up my driving experiences once I have a chance to spend a little time with her.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the site. Another thing you may want to invest in is a magnetic drain bolt. It would probably be worthwhile to see how it looks after your next few oil changes. Might be helpful to know if there are other issues that need investigating if things do not look good down the road? Unless you're sending your oil out for analysis after your changes now?

A good point about the magnetic pug! I have not seen one in years. Many cars came standard with them a while back and I had found that they did pick up some particles - looked like metal fillings. 10 days left to get my Si - I cannot wait!

After installing the filter, I immediately noticed how the revving is more stable. Acceleration on the low end is much smoother and less jerky, both from a start and between shifts. Definitely digging this.

i'm in love with amazon too.
so is my girlfriend... she's discovered how to make a "wish list" for me to buy her things off of rofl... i was hoping it'd take her longer to figure that out!!

ps. i did the res delete and K&N recently, and my butt dyno tells me it's faster (even though i know it really isn't much at all) due to the increased intake sound (placebo ftw)

Hi, I'm from Malaysia, owning 2012 Civic 2.0 SOHC i-VTEC........I noticed that most 2012 Civic 1.8L uses K&N 33-2468 drop-in filter, anyone does this fit in 2.0? Understand that 2.0 SOHC doesn't exist in the US........are R18 and R20 engines using the same air filter design? 33-2468 looks very similar to my stock filter though.....

20120901_151112.jpg

maybe someone could measure the dimensions of the filter to compare? Or, do you know the honda part # for your oem filter to be replaced?

the honda part number for the US models: 17220-R1A-A01

so this may be a dumb question but if i get the k and n air filter but some time down the road lets say i get the injen cold air intake can i only have one or another in the car? or can i have both the intake n k and n filter in the car?

Back