Bikes!!!! (MTB, Road, etc... just no motors)

1996 GT Timberline - The one that started it all. Unfortunately the stock color matched fork got bent.
timberline.jpg

I have a GT from probably back about 10 years ago when I was 16 (or younger) and I got it. I'm trying to think of the model.. ****. I still have it.

GT stood for Gary Turner who founded the company in 1979!

Question: Is the "SR Suntour XCM-V3 MLO w/100mm Travel QR, Lockout" a good shock/front fork? I thought it was the bottom line or something? I thought Rock Shox was way better??

Depends on the performance you want from the fork. Suntour has never made a high end performance shock but Rockshox makes junk also. The fork you listed is not a bad fork, it is just entry level so it would depend on the bike and style of riding you are looking to get out of it. For basic trail riding and going around town it is probably fine. I do like the RockShox Dart line of forks also. You can get one with a lockout for around $120. Either one would be fine.

What bike are you planning on using it for? Price range? What kind of riding? I know my answer may be vague but let me know what you are thinking and I might be able to recommend a little better.

(essentially this fork is a Wal-Mart all season tire. It'll do and last just fine.)

already have plans to hit those places above?? ^^

Mucho nice....

Trying to sell oart of ny rack so I can buy a new rack for the bmw. Did a couple paved trails already this year.

With my new hip starting to heal and settle in, I've been thinking about taking up trail riding. I don't need to spend a crazy amount of money on something that is way too overkill for me as a beginner. I do want to get something that is very well made with excellent components, that will be reliable, and serve me well.

Can anyone recommend a bike for me please?

The one bike that gets recommended for Hip and Knee replacement patients who are just starting rehab is the Sun Bicycles Streamway. It has a very low step-through frame design so you don't have to swing your leg over a high top tube. It also makes getting off easier until you have healed up more. It's definitely for paved paths or unpaved gravel but no real off road and dirt.

68859.jpg

Rode a guys specialized like post 73. Felt like a real nice/solid bike.

I'm just simply familiar with them since my shop sells them. Most major manufacturers make similar bikes at similar price points. Any reputable bike shop should be able to show you several options in your price range and for your intened riding style/preference. Look into hybrids, comfort bikes, cross bikes, and such. Try a traditional mountain bike also and see what fits you best. Sun Bicycles are available through a distributor, J&B, that most bikes shops use for parts so if you are interested in one of their bikes they should be able to get one for you.

I am able to move my hip/leg pretty much back to what I could before. So I have no special issues, and a standard bike will work. I am interested in a very good solid off road bike. I am not afraid to spend some money to get something that will be reliable and solid.

I like the looks of the one Brett bought.

Here is my only bicycle at the moment, it's a Black Market dirt jumper. I have been thinking about selling it though as I don't ride "trails" any more like I used too. I would like to get a nice full suspension bike, but I have a very hard time justifying the price of them. It seems $3k-$4k is the going price for the level of components I want. Since when did bikes get so expensive for Taiwan manufacturing? I mean, it seems like every company is made in the same place now.

bike1.jpg

Back