BMW M3 Track Car

It's just the shell mold as far as I can see and the perspective of the photo. My arai has more padding. The arai is a lot more comfortable, but such is the expectations of a $1600 helmet. I couldn't afford to spend that again when I don't race anymore.

Pretty interesting. I just learned a lot reading about helmets and lifespan.

Liz- warranty says 5yrs from first use/7yrs from manufacture date

How is the expiration process?

Month, Year, or Exact date?
Pretty interesting. I just learned a lot reading about helmets and lifespan.

Liz- warranty says 5yrs from first use/7yrs from manufacture date

Snell certification lasts two cycles. They issue new ratings every 5 years. I purchased this helmet in 2002, so it was Snell SA00 ( 2000). They released the new rating in 2005, so SA05, and the newest one is SA10. The problem is, only the professional racers (F1, Indy, Nascar) etc get the first batches of helmets. The SA10 helmets first started appearing LATE last year, and most clubs allowed SA00 up to June this year, which is why I kept using my GP-5.

The better helmets take a while to filter down through the distributors. I ordered an Arai GP-6 first, but I was told it could be months before they get my size in, so I switched my order to the Stilo. I still waited around a month for it to arrive.

Cliff notes: Expiration is every 2 ratings. SA05 will expire in 2015 but they'll probably be allowed until mid 2016 because of scarcity.

^^ I was referring to people saying they were trying to file a warranty claim. Like a defect etc. They were just saying you had 7yrs from manufacture date on the strap

Depends on the helmet. For the high end stuff its within the SNELL rating. I sent my helmet back to arai in 2006 and they replaced the fireproof lining for free because it was getting a bit tatty.

Usually though, what you said was correct for warranty claims. Although the warranty is void if you drop it.

So I see Robert is getting ready for halloween this year, must be going as a character from the Halo video game. :giggle:

Christina's brother takes that title. I'm surprised you've heard of Halo, being a Gen X..

5272323785_dce924c9ae_b.jpg

You need to frame this and stick it in your garage some day when you have a garage.

Thanks Dawn, that's one of my favourite pics. Passed the lambo numerous times that day and it made me JIMP every time I heard it WOT.

Jeff,post #2

Update:

I stripped the 4 piston calipers ( removed pistons and seals) and started to use industrial strength stripper to remove the paint so I could paint them ( high temp paint), but alas, they are powdercoated. Now I need to buy some powdercoat dissolver to continue this process.

I picked up some 2pc Performance Friction rear rotors (328x20) and some 2pc Performance Friction front rotors in 325x28. Caliper brackets and new stainless lines have been ordered as my current ones wont fit the Porsche calipers.

Interesting read Webby, thanks. I've already done a lot of research on it. I'll be using a chemical solution to dissolve the powder. I'm looking at Eastwood powdercoat and Paint Dissolver after reading all the reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Powdercoat-Paint-Dissolver-Quart/dp/B003JD015E

The issue is the calipers would have to be submersed in the liquid for 15-20mins, so I'd probably have to buy a gallon as a quart would not suffice. I have some other priorities at the moment though, but I'll get them done in a month or so.

Also sold my Traqmate and picked up an AIM SOLO.

Racetech is tentatively sold and Im selling the new Sabelt seat. Doesn't fit me as well as I hoped.

Back