Brakes smoking

I'm going to try a little experiment if I can. I believe that the tsx/v6 accords and the 2012+ civics have the same calipers based on part numbers that are almost identical. Once I get my tsx pads in hand im going to swing over to the local Honda dealer and see if they will let me hold the pads up against each other. Hopefully if the calipers are indeed the same the pads should match up. Obviously visual inspection isn't concrete evidence but it might at least confirm strongly that performance padsnacross these platforms could be cross shopped even if the fitment isn't listed.

If the Honda dealer wont let me fondle their pads I bet autozone will. I would prefer to compare to OEM parts though.

Good idea @Nix. I'm going to see what I can find as well, but I'm giving up the idea that I can get anything before Tuesday... Just have to hope my stock pads hold up for me at the HPDE...

By the way, lots of places list rear pads, but not fronts... Sort of odd if the parts really do cross over from Accord...

Honda has a history of using the same parts across several platforms. Especially between cars with the same engines. There are slight variations of course but similarly numbered blocks anyway. The 8th gen civic shared many parts with the outgoing acura rsx. The base rsx parts swapped nicely onto non-si civcs and the type s was very similar to the si.

I'm leaning toward Carbotech. Oh, and I have some helpful info for others looking to cross-shop!

The Carbotech site has pads for the 9th Si, so, using those part numbers (Front CT914, Rear CT537), you can do some comparing here and see if the same pads fit other makes/models:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads.asp

Specifically, the "LX & LX-P 4 Cylinder - Front" for a 2008-2011 Accord are also CT914 pads. Based on that, I would presume that other manufacturers who spec pads for the same model Accord but not the 9th Si would almost certainly fit the 9th Si...

Last edited:
Oh, almost forgot, @jrotax101 - Any opinions on which Carbotech pads would be a good choice for someone who is clearly way beyond what the stock Honda pads can handle? I'm thinking maybe AX-6 or even XP-8 or XP-10? It is my driver, but I'm willing to tolerate some noise and dust...

Carbotechs are fantastic pads, just be ready for them to make a good bit of noise

You should be okay with xp8s. What tires and suspension are you running?

Stock suspension currently, not sure I'll change suspension other than putting on a 24mm antisway bar in the rear...Seems like a lot of the aftermarket coilovers are more setup for looks than all-out performance, or at least that's my suspicion... I'm on the factory tires still, but plan to change to the Yokohama AD08R's in the nearish future (if I could just wear the stock tires out then I'd have to change!)... I'm *not* a serious racer by any means and don't plan to be, but I'd like to do some club racing events and such and I do some spirited driving as well... Oh, and I'm putting out a bit over 300WHP and 250torque... So I'm having to brake harder for corners when I'm doing my spirited driving... ;-)

Since you're making a good bit more than factory power and going to be running some sticky tires I would probably recommend xp10 in the front and xp8 in the rear. Now the xp10 can be pretty loud when cold, like dump truck loud just so you know. If you want to upgrade the suspension I would recommend redshift coilovers which use konis and are geared more for function than form.

Thanks @FRDRICE ! I think I'll try out the XP10/XP8 front/rear combo. If it sounds like a dump truck, that'll just give my spouse one more thing to pick on me about... ;-) Also, thanks for the tip on the redshift setup, that looks like it's much more oriented to what I'd want... Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind the looks of dropping a couple inches, but I'm more about gaining performance than pure looks.

Now if the noise is too much you can always swap pads in between when you need them. I'm the same way function over form, I will be switching to redshift soon. If you have questions about them chris @ redshift will be more than happy to answer them. And good fluid is just as important as pads.

Aftermarket suspension doesn't only help increase handling. But it also helps increase braking, even with a better brake setup.

If you take a look at this 3D plane, you will notice that a car has a very similar behavior as a plane or a boat (Pitch, roll, yaw).
imageRotate.gif

With a stock suspension setup, your car will have a XY (roll) value from turns and a YZ (pitch) value from acceleration and deceleration. But if you take both braking and suspension into an account, there will be many different variables in the XYZ plane. However, adding a stiffer suspension will reduce your roll and pitch thus enhancing your handling and braking performance.

Be careful with some of those carbotech pads. If you run them year round you may not have any brake force in the winter when it's cold out. Also, i've read that they eat rotors.

The xp10 isn't bad depending on where you live. I didn't have any problems in atlanta when it got down to 15-20deg. Just give some extra room the first time your stop

I disagree with running XP10s on the street. Their operating temperature range is ~400-1600F. A performance street pad would be the bobcat, with AX6 the next step up.

Everyone will have their own opinion though.
I personally run Performance Friction Z-Rated on the street and PFC11 on the track. IMO there's no such thing as a dual duty pad. It's either a street pad or a track pad; don't make it do both.

Someone will also say a fully stripped/solid bushing car is fine on the street; others would think it's torture.

I would agree there is no true dual purpose pad, you will always sacrifice something.

Back