Dragon Fun Run

Yeah....the red car is an MR2. They had a small gathering there that weekend. Mike had the car towed back to my place on Sunday.

You guys don't know how badly I wanted to be there. Originally I was absolutely committed to the trek. Mike called (before your text Nomar) to let me know about the rockslide before knowing the extent of the damage, in addition to even knowing IF the Dragon would be drivable. After that I passed out on the couch. When I answered your text Nomar, I was in the fog of my sleep meds, and didn't have all my mental pistons firing. When I went to work that night I figured it was a complete washout fun-wise, so I didn't take any of my stuff with me in order to leave right from work. I know you guys probably think I'm a lameazz, but I was totally ready to drive up after my shift.

While it's not good at all that I missed out on this, the "silver lining" (if you can actually use that term for this) of me staying home is that I had one employee pull a no call/no show for his Sat. 11pm-7am shift, then had the other guy call in sick (with a terrible case of "videogameittis") for his 6pm-11pm shift on Sun. Did I mention there are only three of us that work at this site? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.... :pat:

Mike I'm so sorry I missed it all, and even more sorry about your car. How far did you have it towed?

Finally...what is that red car? A Toyota MR-S or are they called MR-5's ( I've never been entirely clear on that)? If so, it's definitely the coolest looking one I've ever seen.

Yea, that red MR-2 was BALLER. (At least I believe that's what they're called... Though, I do believe you are also correct with the "MR-S" term, think ... aw screw it... gonna consult wikipedia real quick.... .... ............... ..... "The third generation MR2 had three different names, depending on country; Toyota MR-S in Japan, Toyota MR2 Spyder in the US, and the Toyota MR2 Roadster in Europe" <- There we go)

But no worries on not being there. I mean even I only got 4 total runs on the dragon (2 up/2 down) due to the car breaking. But I ended up getting it towed back to Charlotte (Nomar's house), @ the rate of $3/mile ... to the tune of $680.

But I was thinking about making another trip sometime during the week of 1-7 April, if you're interested (or if anyone is interested for that matter), I'd love to have some company!
Additionally, if you can't make it then, then I'll also be at Import Face Off on 25 March @ Rockingham Dragway to see if the new gears make any difference in the 1/4.

Yeah....the red car is an MR2. They had a small gathering there that weekend. Mike had the car towed back to my place on Sunday.

I liked it.

Santiago, you have pimp wheels on the Bimmer

I liked it.

Santiago, you have pimp wheels on the Bimmer

Thanks....I like them but they are heavy and all curbed. Not sure if and when I will change them or not. Might just get them repaired one day.

$680 for towing... :nervous:

All other options were a no go since the pulley he had on had was f'ed and they would of all cost the same as the towing since we would of stayed another night at the hotel.

ish happens :sheep:

Howdy all!

I've been to several MINI events on the Dragon (we sell out Fontana and most of the hotels in the area every spring). Due to some changes at my job, I've got 3 weeks of vacation to burn, so I thought I'd run out to Fontana for some fun on the roads and a bit of fishing.

I poked around the TailOfTheDragon website to see who else would be around while I'm there and I found you guys!

I'll be down at the Fontana campground

Dragon2011Trailer2Small.jpg

Trailer20.JPG

If anyone is interested, I regularly lead a group drive that goes across the Dragon, up the Foothills Parkway and back through the Smoky's across Little River Road (the single most beautiful road I have ever been on). You can add in the Cades Cove loop for more scenery, if you wish.

I wrote a detailed, step-by-step instruction pack... it makes for a simple drive on your own: http://www.minisonthedragon.com/files/Sunrise_Smoky_Mountain_Drive_2011.pdf

If someone wants to contact me, I might be conviced to lead a run on Thursday or Friday... if you don't mind a MINI in the front of the line! :D

Anyway... if you see a well-modded MINI around Fontana or down at the campground, stop by and say HI.

Aaron

Welcome n00b!

I like Mini's. Cooper S? What you have done to it? She looks lower than stock..

Very nice
The group is filled with all sorts of cars...all are welcome

-Keith
'11 WRX (32k mi) & '99 2.3CL (43k mi)

Yep. I've got some vacation time that I have to burn, so I'm going to combine a visit to my folks with a bit of fun at Fontana. I've got to head out on Saturday morning, but I arrive on Wed afternoon.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I really do recommend that Smoky Mountain drive... I do it every time I get out to the Dragon at least once. Whenever I need to visualize my 'happy place', it's on Little River Road, just after you enter the Smoky Mountain State Park on the north side.

At times, I think that my MINI, Jango, is more aftermarket than stock... heh! The rear is sitting low in that pic from the combination of the trailer (110lbs tongue weight) and the gear I'm hauling in the back. I've also raised the coil-overs a bit since then... was running a tad bit too low for the streets of Dallas.

The big mods:

Custom painted wheel arches and trim
Custom powder-coated wheels
Bits and pieces of the factory Aero kit
coil-overs, swaybars, stiffening braces, etc
Wilwood brakes up front w/ more aggressive pads and rotors in the rear + ss lines, brass bushings, etc
Polyurethane bushings anywhere that will take it + solid motor mount
CAI, silicone air pathways, 16% smaller supercharger pulley, larger intercooler
Plugs, wires, coil-pack and tune (198hp at the wheels... estimated 230 at the crank)
Cat-back Exhaust
4-note air-horn (measured at over 130db :D ) powered by CO2
Custom interior gauges, leatherwork
Bluetooth integration, hard-wired radar detector & in-dash FRS radio setup

I love it when Mini owners paint the fender trim.

Back