Bruce Bartlow

Late apex everything
Sacramento, CA
Vehicle Model
I am nowhere near the Ring, otherwise the C8 would be a tempting test drive. Outside the Ring, a CTR checks a lot of boxes
Evening Everyone: The good news is that I haven't thrown my new FP into the trash. Yet. The bad news is that I uploaded the Hondata calibration that was supposed to eliminate rev hang. Didn't happen. Although I drove the car all of 20 minutes (around town, 0 -50mph, gears 1 - 4) ) I couldn't tell one bit of difference. The hang was worse than ever. For anybody thinking about a purchase, I would definitely hold off pending a resolution.

Oh, sure, you could hire a tuner (and you probably should anyway) but the point is, FP isn't the cure all I thought it was. You'd be going down a road of unknown expense, and unknowable satisfaction.

If it helps, i am likely to go down that road myself (hiring a tuning service) so you can just wait to hear from me. But for those who think $695.00 is the extent of it, I'm here to tell you that it's not. You will need a professional tuner at a minimum, and even then YMMV. Buyer beware.

Well, Flashpro is also a good tuning solution for cars with none to light to heavy modification. I'm not sure why you only bought it just for the rev hang issue. Try flashprotuning.com to see if anyone there ( VitViper maybe?) can help you out.

Sad to hear this .what other calibrations come with it. was the reflash an option as a calibration?
Might want to try that if it is .

It contains the reflash calibration, large injector calibrations, and it can switch off the misfire codes associated with light flywheels.
Doug

I used the stock calibration. Rev hang is a tiny tiny there, but that just the drive by wire system. I don't feel the hang anymore. I have no mod at all.

There seems to be some misconceptions circulating that FlashPro is a rev hang fix -- this alone is NOT true.

What FlashPro is, is a *tuning solution*. It allows you to take full control of your ECU and make the car run better than it comes from factory -- which includes eliminating or largely reducing the effects of "rev hang". In fact I've had comments such as "wow if it runs this well now it should of come this way from the factory" many times after a custom tune.

Basemaps suck. That's just the way of it. They're nothing more than a starting point for tuning a vehicle.

I am looking into a FlashPro set-up and VitViper suggests going to a tuner. Past experience with motorcycles is that we could share maps. Just download from a file and upload to the "PowerCommander" is what is used on most motorcycles. Is this true for the FlashPro?

they can be shared to some point, yes. You'd need to find someone with the same mods & then they could provide their maps. It could be fine tuned if there is a big difference in elevation between yourself and the other user.

That's funny... I was never told "basemaps suck". On the contrary, the Hondata website clearly states that revhang is completely eliminated in a 2012 SI (I just read that last night to make sure) Today we have one who says there's still a "tiny bit" and another (me) who says there's a lot. In other words, it's a matter of degree. But the point is that it is Not completely eliminated..... meaning there could be a looming credibility issue with Hondata's advertising, at least with respect to the FP's effectiveness in a 2012 SI application.

Sad to hear this .what other calibrations come with it. was the reflash an option as a calibration?
Might want to try that if it is .
I'll provide a full list of included calibrations later today. It's a small list of about 6.

I am looking into a FlashPro set-up and VitViper suggests going to a tuner. Past experience with motorcycles is that we could share maps. Just download from a file and upload to the "PowerCommander" is what is used on most motorcycles. Is this true for the FlashPro?
i think you're on the right track. But if you use just anybody's calibration, how do you know it's been proven safe?

Vit's a good guy... and he comes well recommended. Just remember, he's a tuner himself.... so naturally he's going to recommend a tuner! Also keep in mind, this isn't the R18 we're talking about. This SI engine hasn't been around very long, so tuning the K24Z7 is something relatively new to everybody.

Dar-Dar writes: "I'm not sure why you only bought it just for the rev hang issue."

Well, the reflash was already $300. Not chicken feed. Plus, if we ever need to return the engine to stock it's another $75.00, plus a considerable hassle factor in removing/sending/re-installing, etc. So I thought either spend $400 -- gone forever -- or spend $700 for something that provides future use and some resale value.

what are your current mods? Where do you live - can you find the elevation of the town from wikipedia or google search?

not sure what EJ8* has installed mod wise, but maybe he can chime in. He claims the rev hang is gone for him
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/i-finally-got-the-chance-to-install-flash-pro.5866/

As others have suggested, I'd look into an etune from VitViper to see if he can look at a datalog and make adjustments.
We know that tuners like Vit and Steve have made a lot of R18 owners very happy. But this isn't an R18. So I'd like to hear from 2012 owners who have used tuners to their complete satisfaction. Personally, I need a high altitude map (for the nearby mountains) a low-octane map (for when premium isn't available) a high octane map (for the track), in addition to the most important map of all: a No Rev Hang map, which I thought I already bought. If those things are unavailable, the FP is going back.

btw... i'm totally stock at sea level. 25' to be exact. Unfortunately California doesn't allow modification... but i might try a couple that can be quickly removed for smog inspections.

Vit's a good guy... and he comes well recommended. Just remember, he's a tuner himself.... so naturally he's going to recommend a tuner! Also keep in mind, this isn't the R18 we're talking about. This SI engine hasn't been around very long, so tuning the K24Z7 is something relatively new to everybody.

The K24Z7 is a K24, it's not that new. The only thing that makes it "new" is that existing FlashPro K24 (read: TSX) calibrations cannot be used on it. In fact, since the K24Z7 comes with a 45 VTC wheel it's actually somewhat superior to the TSX motors.

I am as much an enthusiast as I am a tuner, in fact, I wouldn't even be tuning if I didn't like modding cars so much (particularly Hondas -- got 2 of them). I hate the stock tunes on cars so much I even tuned my 2001 Ford ZX2 beater. So my recommendation to get your car TUNED stands -- I don't care if don't use me as long as you get a GOOD tune. And I'm not talking a tune by Bubba on the rollers for a sandwich and a pat on the back as he sends you on your way.

That's funny... I was never told "basemaps suck". On the contrary, the Hondata website clearly states that revhang is completely eliminated in a 2012 SI (I just read that last night to make sure) Today we have one who says there's still a "tiny bit" and another (me) who says there's a lot. In other words, it's a matter of degree. But the point is that it is Not completely eliminated..... meaning there could be a looming credibility issue with Hondata's advertising, at least with respect to the FP's effectiveness in a 2012 SI application.

FlashPro is exactly what is advertised -- a tuning solution. Basemaps almost always suck. Some people seem to act like FlashPro is something "new", it's not -- look at the 8th gens, TSX's, S2000's. Basemaps were a good start to get those cars running and driving with FlashPro, but junk compared to a custom tune. That's how it always is -- and all the new markets lacked basemaps when released. In fact, Hondata was developing FlashPro for almost FOUR YEARS during the 8th gen's introduction -- why do you think the 8th gen came out with a bunch of basemaps to start with? You guys barely had to wait a year to get a tuning solution. The 8th gens waited almost FOUR YEARS, running JUNK piggy backs on their turbo cars (which ran like ****). The cars would barely run OK with a non-OEM intake and let's not talk about cam swaps until FlashPro came out and we could TUNE the cars.

BTW I don't recall Hondata ever stating rev hang is eliminated in their advertising on their site... only that it CAN improve it. See here:

- Can it improve the rev hang?
Yes. Revs will drop sooner after gear change.

The K24Z7 is a K24, it's not that new. The only thing that makes it "new" is that existing FlashPro K24 (read: TSX) calibrations cannot be used on it. In fact, since the K24Z7 comes with a 45 VTC wheel it's actually somewhat superior to the TSX motors.

I am as much an enthusiast as I am a tuner, in fact, I wouldn't even be tuning if I didn't like modding cars so much (particularly Hondas -- got 2 of them). I hate the stock tunes on cars so much I even tuned my 2001 Ford ZX2 beater. So my recommendation to get your car TUNED stands -- I don't care if don't use me as long as you get a GOOD tune. And I'm not talking a tune by Bubba on the rollers for a sandwich and a pat on the back as he sends you on your way.

FlashPro is exactly what is advertised -- a tuning solution. Basemaps almost always suck. Some people seem to act like FlashPro is something "new", it's not -- look at the 8th gens, TSX's, S2000's. Basemaps were a good start to get those cars running and driving with FlashPro, but junk compared to a custom tune. That's how it always is -- and all the new markets lacked basemaps when released. In fact, Hondata was developing FlashPro for almost FOUR YEARS during the 8th gen's introduction -- why do you think the 8th gen came out with a bunch of basemaps to start with? You guys barely had to wait a year to get a tuning solution. The 8th gens waited almost FOUR YEARS, running JUNK piggy backs on their turbo cars (which ran like ****). The cars would barely run OK with a non-OEM intake and let's not talk about cam swaps until FlashPro came out and we could TUNE the cars.

BTW I don't recall Hondata ever stating rev hang is eliminated in their advertising on their site... only that it CAN improve it. See here:

a remark which leaves considerably more wiggle room than "completely eliminates".

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Can't stop laughing at Bruce's failed attempt to flame Hondata...Hondata is EXACTLY what it says it is, a tuning option, just as Vit so elequently put. How can you NOT know that basemaps 'suck'. Do you know what a basemap is? Do you know how enviormental factors come into play when it comes to tunes?

I have FlashPro on my 9thgen, it is tuned (not with a Basemap) and runs 100% better than it did stock or after the mods were installed on the stock tune. FlashPro is most certainly worth the money, so for anyone reading this, please do not be discouraged to purchase the FlashPro.

Evening Everyone: The good news is that I haven't thrown my new FP into the trash. Yet. The bad news is that I uploaded the Hondata calibration that was supposed to eliminate rev hang. Didn't happen. Although I drove the car all of 20 minutes (around town, 0 -50mph, gears 1 - 4) ) I couldn't tell one bit of difference. The hang was worse than ever. For anybody thinking about a purchase, I would definitely hold off pending a resolution.

Oh, sure, you could hire a tuner (and you probably should anyway) but the point is, FP isn't the cure all I thought it was. You'd be going down a road of unknown expense, and unknowable satisfaction.

If it helps, i am likely to go down that road myself (hiring a tuning service) so you can just wait to hear from me. But for those who think $695.00 is the extent of it, I'm here to tell you that it's not. You will need a professional tuner at a minimum, and even then YMMV. Buyer beware.

buyer beware? You purchased exactly what they said it was... *sigh*

Back