Full-Race Turbo Kit

boost by gear wasn't initially offered with flashpro on the 8th gen either. It was released at a later date in an update.

From what I gather, there currently no available output in the ECU to run the boost solenoid necessary for BBG functionality.

Maybe Hondata will find a way to add it in the future -- the S2000 FlashPro had no way to do it either when FlashPro came out, but Hondata found a way to add the necessary circuitry/output later on. We shall see.

finally found the post where full-race talked about boost control

The 9th gen flashpro *does not have boost control* integrated like the older models (not possible with this computer) so you must use the wastegate on spring pressure (no boost controller) OR connect any aftermarket boost controller directly to the EFR solenoid and you are good to go.

Hey Webby - thanks for the bump, Ive been planning on spending a day with Brian and photographing the Si, unfortuantely I have been slammed busy with our Ford EcoBoost F150 development and unable to get away. Here Is a small recap of my history with brian and the project, (updates added in the order of occurance)

a) March 2011: brian fox calls Full-Race and says "im building a 9th gen Si for Honda's SEMA booth, I only want a Full-Race turbo kit on the car". Since everyone here loves the K series (its our favorite 4 cyl) and I had been foaming at the mouth to design the manifold for an integrated manifold cylinder head, (which I believed will have the fastest spool and broadest powerband of any engine we've ever worked with - due to Ford's $$$ research on the ecoboost 4cyl engines which are all integrated manifold turbo 4 cyls with variable cam timing)

b) August 2011: The car got delivered to full-race (before brian fox ever saw it). Full-Race tears the car down, designs computer models and prototypes for the turbo kit, piping, intercooler, exhaust, and downpipe. the car goes on the trailer to brian for his stuff to be done while we start working on the turbo components at F-R

c1) Aug-Sept-Oct 2011: We work around-the-clock to have all the components ready for the SEMA release of the car. I got everything finished and with the welds still warm put them on a plane and flew to the east coast

c2) Oct 2011: I fly out to PA and help with the install making sure everything goes smoothly and photograph details. I wanted the car to have the RBC intake manifold and fuel rail on at the time but we had to switch back to the 9th gen Si ecu (so the dash would work) and we had to switch back to the stock injectors and stock plastic intake manifold for this. **note: let me say here I hate 20" rims on import cars and have been talking trash about the rim selection- 18s fo life!! - please anybody reading this dont let your friends put 19s or 20s on a civic**

d) Nov 2011 This build is ready on schedule for a successful debut at SEMA 2011 in the Honda booth. A lot of attention was drawn especially since it was the only turbocharged street honda at SEMA that year (everything else was non turbo or a dedicated drag car).

e) Dec 2011 we are wanting to tune the car, Hondata tells us "flashpro's boost tables are not ready yet" so we tried the 8th ecu but realized losing the dash was a deal breaker... we patiently waited for the call from Hondata that FP was ready ... and while forum keyboard cowboys threw insults and said this car was a show car only, would never run, etc

f) Oct 2012: Hondata finally calls "3 weeks to go!!" and it was on. We see hondata at SEMA and Doug tells me this kit is going to be amazing with the K24... he's excited. I said "I know - me too!"

g) Nov 2012: Brian fox installs the injectors on stock intake manifold for the sake of a simple baseline tune. YCU tuning got the flashpro stup and calibrated but quickly found the K24's strong torque characteristics combined with the EFR's spoolup and powerband had the stock clutch spinning under boost - it had to go. Mugys's Installed a new clutch/flywheel and at the same time the RBC intake manifold went back on to replace the stock plastic intake manifold

h) At low boost (6.5psi boost) - boost controller disconnected - with pump gas it made 312whp on a mustang dyno with absurdly heavy stupid 20" rim, that is the low power setting which will be reliable for 150k++ miles.

i)
7163-Si.jpg
The attached dyno chart is really special to me, in the 15 years ive been doing this ive never seen this early spool and torque from a 4cyl - so early in the tuning cycle (with huge room for improvement to go from here). very exciting not that it was a surprise but just to see all the calculations absolutely work out::

190hp @ 4100rpm
230hp@4800rpm
300hp@6000rpm

150tq at 2500rpm
200tq at 2800rpm
230tq at 3300rpm
Peak tq by 3500rpm <and this is the lowest setting>

the old addage "theres no replacement for displacement" rings true - even with vtec honda engines. The extra 20% displacement COMBINED WITH reduced header volume compared to an 8th gen header makes this k24 perfect for turbocharging:

9th honda-9th-gen-civic-si-k-series-efr-turbo-kit-2012-content-47.jpg VS 8th honda-8th-gen-civic-si-k-series-efr-turbo-kit-2012-content-47.jpg

i) They called me and asked how the boost control on our kit works. I explained how absurdly simple it is, connect the two wires to the two wires on any EBC (does not matter which is + and which is -). They grabbed an old AEM truboost and will wire it up. then get back to me. The good news is the motor is making excellent power, the best spool and broadest powerband weve seen from any 4 cyl honda engine. I told him to get those stupid heavy 20s off of there tho - with the wheelspin he is seeing those 20s are sooo bad for the trans its not funny

Was the speedo going haywire in this vid? Jumping and dropping by 20mph at a time?

Back