FWD vs RWD vs AWD Thread. :)

I like that I can kick the rear out with a throttle blip in the vette, but can be a handful if you're not careful. The understeer in my Si was annoying at times. The awd in my Pilot is great when pulling out (fast) into traffic from a side street, or driving in snow.

They all have their +/-

Reactions: Nix
KennyGS Any videos of this "throttle blip" that you speak of? Show us how you do it! If you haven't put your new tires on yet that is.... hahaha...

Is it just me, or have others here found it easy to dial in some oversteer when coming into a corner a little hot by laying off the throttle ('12 Si)? The rear kicks out nicely, get back on the gas and go through. With the stock springs I tried it once and thought I was going to "tip over."

All drivetrains have drawbacks. But the nuthugger thing is.. Well, nuthuggerish. Whatever that might mean. Everyone has their preference, and whatever that preference is, good for them.

Is it just me, or have others here found it easy to dial in some oversteer when coming into a corner a little hot by laying off the throttle ('12 Si)? The rear kicks out nicely, get back on the gas and go through. With the stock springs I tried it once and thought I was going to "tip over."

Didn't find a proper road to try it yet but i plan to, stock springs so I will take it easy ;) The technique is called lift off oversteer, very useful for FWD and AWD and very practiced in rally driving.

KennyGS Any videos of this "throttle blip" that you speak of? Show us how you do it! If you haven't put your new tires on yet that is.... hahaha...

Sorry, I don't have video. I did demonstrate it for 07TLX at the dragon when he did a ride along with me on 28. If you get to the dragon this September, I'll be glad to take you for a run too.

Reactions: Nix
Didn't find a proper road to try it yet but i plan to, stock springs so I will take it easy ;) The technique is called lift off oversteer, very useful for FWD and AWD and very practiced in rally driving.
Familiar on ramps are great for this . . . very predictable arcs. I've never owned a vehicle that I didn't test the limits of adhesion. It helps to know what your car, even minivan (we just left that phase behind) can and can't do, in case you get into an avoidance situation.

Pretty much KennyGS would come into corner at full throttle, jam on the brakes hard start turning and just at the second when you feel under steer blip the throttle to rotate the rear end then finish the corner and go full throttle and repeat...

Familiar on ramps are great for this . . . very predictable arcs. I've never owned a vehicle that I didn't test the limits of adhesion. It helps to know what your car, even minivan (we just left that phase behind) can and can't do, in case you get into an avoidance situation.

Fully agree!

There is a guy here with a WRX and his plate says EP3. I used to see him driving a nice looking blue ep3 si.

AYC may have had it's fair share of problems in the EVO 9/10 but it is one of the main reasons those EVOs handle so well, especially in comparison to WRXs/STIs.

edit: Now that I think about it, I don't believe the USDM Evo 9 had SAYC.

Last edited:
AYC may have had it's fair share of problems in the EVO 9/10 but it is one of the main reasons those EVOs handle so well, especially in comparison to WRXs/STIs.

edit: Now that I think about it, I don't believe the USDM Evo 9 had SAYC.
i personally find AYC extremely restrictive! would never consider an Evo9+ because of it unless they get rid of it for the Evo 11

makes the car very hard to drive... and in all honesty, enjoyable. Would rather rip the front driveshafts out and drive it rwd only lol

i personally find AYC extremely restrictive! would never consider an Evo9+ because of it unless they get rid of it for the Evo 11

makes the car very hard to drive... and in all honesty, enjoyable. Would rather rip the front driveshafts out and drive it rwd only lol

Hard to drive? I've found it's quite the opposite actually, which is any AYC's purpose to begin with. Think of it as a band aid. In a front engine AWD car without a 50:50 weight distribution, understeer is a major concern. The SAYC transfers power to different wheels to "correct" the cars rotation without ever braking or decreasing engine power. The SAYC simply corrects driver error. You can be a complete noob and overdrive an Evo and it will look like you know what you're doing. AYC systems are essentially what make cars like the Evo 10 and GTR some of the best handling AWD cars on the planet.

Hard to drive? I've found it's quite the opposite actually, which is any AYC's purpose to begin with. Think of it as a band aid. In a front engine AWD car without a 50:50 weight distribution, understeer is a major concern. The SAYC transfers power to different wheels to "correct" the cars rotation without ever braking or decreasing engine power. The SAYC simply corrects driver error. You can be a complete noob and overdrive an Evo and it will look like you know what you're doing. AYC systems are essentially what make cars like the Evo 10 and GTR some of the best handling AWD cars on the planet.
have you driven an evo 9 or 10? give it some gas out of a sharp corner, keep your foot pretty heavy on the gas, the rear wheels cut power and the front pulls you back in. when i drive a car, i want to drive a car, don't want it to try and drive for me. either way it's my opinion, i would never buy a evo because of it... ever realize all rally drivers with evo's (6 and up) all have no AYC on their cars! Simply because they want to drive the car and not have it drive for them.. they need to be in control lol. I understand it's a safety feature... but it's like ABS.. some things just aren't meant for driver enjoyment... also.. please don't argue ABS.... lol

at the end of the day, when you want to drive a car, i'd get a car that will allow me, and me only to drive it, not have the car "jump in" and help me out.

have you driven an evo 9 or 10? give it some gas out of a sharp corner, keep your foot pretty heavy on the gas, the rear wheels cut power and the front pulls you back in. when i drive a car, i want to drive a car, don't want it to try and drive for me. either way it's my opinion, i would never buy a evo because of it... ever realize all rally drivers with evo's (6 and up) all have no AYC on their cars! Simply because they want to drive the car and not have it drive for them.. they need to be in control lol. I understand it's a safety feature... but it's like ABS.. some things just aren't meant for driver enjoyment... also.. please don't argue ABS.... lol

at the end of the day, when you want to drive a car, i'd get a car that will allow me, and me only to drive it, not have the car "jump in" and help me out.

I have driven both an Evo 9 and Evo 10. Once again, US versions of the Evo 9 did NOT come with SAYC. Regardless of what your opinion may be, SAYC improves the handling on a stock Evo. It has been proven time and time again. Reliability and weight issues asides, SAYC is superior. Torque control and transfer are performed in such a discreet and efficient manner, mechanical methods are unable to match.

The reason racing teams don't tend to use SAYC is because they are building higher hp cars. SAYC is heavier and not as durable as your typical LSD.

Now I get what you are saying. Many people had the exact same complaints with the newer GTRs. The way I look at it, I want a car that is able to perform to the best of its ability and with AWD, an AYC system is going to allow you to achieve that.

It sounds to me that you would be much more satisfied in a RWD vehicle.

Last edited:
Back