K&N Typhoon Is Great Addition

I'm really liking that. It is a good design though, the ecu case almost serves as an extra side.

I'm really liking that. It is a good design though, the ecu case almost serves as an extra side.

And of course it's completely covered by a metal shield underneath, and the sides. It draws air from the stock "CAI" pipe and seals with that soft upper lip, against the hood liner. You can see a slight wear mark on it.

Hmmm. I deleted the resonator and put in a k&n air filter, so i guess that's similar. I bet this sounds way better though..

Hmmm. I deleted the resonator and put in a k&n air filter, so i guess that's similar. I bet this sounds way better though..
It sound awesome, even more so now that VitViper woke it up with a flashpro etune! There are some threads with the K&N sound around here. I know I did a prolonged one.

You know it's interesting, but I've seen used Injen, ART and AFE/Takedas for sale second-hand for the 2012, but no Typhoons. Just sayin.'

I love the look and sound of you intake Colin, but if you're poor like me.. one can always do this.... it definitely sounds different.... lol

IMG00030-20121201-1432.jpg

That works for me!

so are you planning to do a downpipe and exhaust? would make a huge difference... i did a full exhaust, header and short ram with a K&N cone filter, made a huge difference on my 2001 DX.... i did a cheapo u-fit axle back N1 on my EX, it sounds alot growlier now.... i'll invest in a cat back someday.. maybe after the cheapo aluminized pipe im using now rusts out....

so are you planning to do a downpipe and exhaust? would make a huge difference... i did a full exhaust, header and short ram with a K&N cone filter, made a huge difference on my 2001 DX.... i did a cheapo u-fit axle back N1 on my EX, it sounds alot growlier now.... i'll invest in a cat back someday.. maybe after the cheapo aluminized pipe im using now rusts out....
If I could be assured that one of the aftermarket catted downpipes would give a significant power increase, when used with the stock exhaust, I would do it. I do not want a loud exhaust -- actually I don't want one that's overall louder than the stock one. I hate exhaust drone -- could be happy with a deeper tone, but it's a 4cyl. so that's asking a lot.

If I could be assured that one of the aftermarket catted downpipes would give a significant power increase, when used with the stock exhaust, I would do it. I do not want a loud exhaust -- actually I don't want one that's overall louder than the stock one. I hate exhaust drone -- could be happy with a deeper tone, but it's a 4cyl. so that's asking a lot.
Check out the RV-6 DP with the high flow cat. I have the cat-less version, has a little rasp, and I like it. The catted version is supposed to have no rasp, and it should definitely sound more "throaty". I love mine

so how much did the spacer cost colin? i did a spacer on a couple vehicles, but couldnt tell the difference whatsoever... i feel i totally wasted $50 each time.... lol

so how much did the spacer cost colin? i did a spacer on a couple vehicles, but couldnt tell the difference whatsoever... i feel i totally wasted $50 each time.... lol
I bought it with Flashpro so my setup would mirror the seller's: SRI + TBS + Flashpro = his extensive VitViper etune works great in my car.
I think they are normally @ $80.

Was it a difficult fit? I put the typhoon in yesterday and it is pretty tight without the spacer. Car is LOUD now

Was it a difficult fit? I put the typhoon in yesterday and it is pretty tight without the spacer. Car is LOUD now
Not difficult. Slide the end into the air cleaner box first, butt the rubber sleeve all the way up to the maf weld. Then do the other end. You may have to put a flat end screwdriver or something inside the neck of the metal tube to force the last two inches of rubber hose on at the engine side, sort of like getting a bike tire on a rim. Really pretty easy. If it was warmer than 45*F it may have been easier.

I love the look and sound of you intake Colin, but if you're poor like me.. one can always do this.... it definitely sounds different.... lol

View attachment 7018

I would not recommend this as it robs you of performance. To steal from an 8thcivic post: Hotter air is less dense than colder air, less dense = less oxygen = less fuel to keep the same A/F ratio = less power.
You are essentially pulling in hot air right off the engine itself due to the opening you have created as opposed to the K&N at least being back in the corner where it can pull air not directly next to the engine. This is not to say the K&N isn't pulling hot air from the engine, but that it at least has a chance to cool down somewhat first as well as mixing with cooler air due to its location.

I would not recommend this as it robs you of performance. To steal from an 8thcivic post: Hotter air is less dense than colder air, less dense = less oxygen = less fuel to keep the same A/F ratio = less power.
You are essentially pulling in hot air right off the engine itself due to the opening you have created as opposed to the K&N at least being back in the corner where it can pull air not directly next to the engine. This is not to say the K&N isn't pulling hot air from the engine, but that it at least has a chance to cool down somewhat first as well as mixing with cooler air due to its location.

thats a tough one to call, because a shortram makes more power than a cold air intake.... and a tiny ribbed intake pipe on my 1.8L is not the ideal piping for an intake.. creates alot of turbulance wich in turn takes energy to pull it thru... then pushing everything out a 1.5" tailpipe.. hahaha honestly tho wether i gain or lose .25HP, i do like the sound better.... i'm just waiting for my K&N drop in and TSUDO 2.5" catback off of eBay to get here.... :)

thats a tough one to call, because a shortram makes more power than a cold air intake.... and a tiny ribbed intake pipe on my 1.8L is not the ideal piping for an intake.. creates alot of turbulance wich in turn takes energy to pull it thru... then pushing everything out a 1.5" tailpipe.. hahaha honestly tho wether i gain or lose .25HP, i do like the sound better.... i'm just waiting for my K&N drop in and TSUDO 2.5" catback off of eBay to get here.... :)

The thing to remember about power from an engine is that it is going to depend on the RPM range. As far as intakes, it should be noted that one will offer more power on the low to mid end and the other will offer more power on the mid to high end. (People seem to get this mixed up all the time and I cannot comment as to which one is which with any certainty. Hopefully someone else can.)

I am by no means advocating one over the other, just that taking off the factory tubing is not the best idea.

The thing to remember about power from an engine is that it is going to depend on the RPM range. As far as intakes, it should be noted that one will offer more power on the low to mid end and the other will offer more power on the mid to high end. (People seem to get this mixed up all the time and I cannot comment as to which one is which with any certainty. Hopefully someone else can.)

I am by no means advocating one over the other, just that taking off the factory tubing is not the best idea.

i always thought it was more about sound control(deadening) you're right tho... no offense and and none taken... its all good... you're just trying to help, thank you bro... :)

Back