May 2015 Non-Dragon Official Business Thread

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
One thing I will divulge: Everyone attending will face more difficult driving conditions than the Dragon. This is not the Dragon everybody knows. Several of these roads are worse. A few are much worse. A few are much better. However, we are looking at less traffic and 55mph speed limits instead of an artificial and heavily patrolled 30mph.

Ok so here is the deal so far:

Dates: Saturday May 16th - Sunday May 24th

There is a Friday option for meeting up and driving. However, the cabin/cabins being booked will be from Saturday the 16th on. I will go into detail about the Friday option if you are able to make it.

Where/What:There are a lot of great roads in the Smokies besides the Dragon. This is more of an exploratory trip to drive on some of the other well known roads in the area East of Asheville. The Diamondback is one such loop we would like to have a change to go drive on. Also the route 215/276 loop just outside of Waynesville NC is also fantastic.

An actual driving itinerary is being worked on and I will post it as it gets more finalized. This does leave us lots of time for just hanging out, changing plans, and going back and driving a great road we may come across, or just repeating a drive because it was so much fun.

So lots of driving, east of Asheville NC to give you an idea of the area. It is a ways from the Dragon, if you want to go to the Dragon, we are leaving that up to you to decide if you want to hike over for the day or book yourself a night or two at Fontana.

Cost: Depending on the number of guys going this has a little variation to it. Overall I would like to take a refundable deposit of $50 by February 15th. The deposit is refundable only until March 10th when the full balance is due. That gives everyone about 2 weeks to put down a deposit and 25 days or so after that to think it over and make certain you can attend. The estimated balance with approx 10 guys going is somewhere around $110-125.

This all depends on how many people decide to come. That number may change but we want to keep this super affordable. Food is extra and I know that costs can add up quick when you're burning $40 of gas a day and eating out often. I am not Jason, I do not cook well. Let alone a group, but I do foresee a bit of grilling out together and doing some larger meals.

That said, this is an example of a cabin we are considering. If we get a solid head count number then it will determine our options better. We are looking at several options so we can be flexible with numbers.

Teaser:

http://www.vrbo.com/319145?icid=IL_...0&utm_campaign=10859114_i5ex42r058001jrq001o9

Another option:

http://www.riverwalkvacations.com/photo-gallery

Let me know what you guys are thinking and if you need more information on anything in particular.

Attendees so far:

Nix
@Bruce Bartlow
@Dennis Rockholt

Last edited:
The FRIDAY option: May 15th.

For those of you close enough to attend or able to take off enough days at work: We are meeting at The Lodge at Copperhead near Blairsville GA. Early start Saturday morning to hit Blood Mountain and Wolf Pen Gap rd. followed by the 276 to by Waynesville and continuing east to the cabin we end up booking. This is optional and is not included in your cabin fee. Depending on interest and attendance this could change.

Yes, it will be an early start, but I will make it. Those of you who know me, I can't get out of bed for crap but I will be up for this. hahahah

I have an event I need to be at during the day on May 16th, but after that I can get on the road and be there Sunday. Lower fuel prices (assuming they stay suppressed) will help everyone's budget big time.

Count me in.

i might not be able to, this will be right around the time of my 4 month follow up surgery

I think I should be able to attend that last weekend but too early to tell. :(

I have an event I need to be at during the day on May 16th, but after that I can get on the road and be there Sunday. Lower fuel prices (assuming they stay suppressed) will help everyone's budget big time.

Count me in.

For those wondering what prices are like in TN and NC:

Farragut, TN is currently 1.72 for regular, $2.00 for premium
http://www.knoxvillegasprices.com/Farragut/index.aspx

Asheville, NC is 2.35 for premium.

Thanks to GasBuddy we're developing a list of the cheapest gas stations along the way.

One thing I will divulge: Everyone attending will face more difficult driving conditions than the Dragon. This is not the Dragon everybody knows. Several of these roads are worse. A few are much worse. A few are much better. However, we are looking at less traffic and 55mph speed limits instead of an artificial and heavily patrolled 30mph.

Ok so here is the deal so far:

Dates: Saturday May 16th - Sunday May 23rd

There is a Friday option for meeting up and driving. However, the cabin/cabins being booked will be from Saturday the 16th on. I will go into detail about the Friday option if you are able to make it.

Where/What:There are a lot of great roads in the Smokies besides the Dragon. This is more of an exploratory trip to drive on some of the other well known roads in the area East of Asheville. The Diamondback is one such loop we would like to have a change to go drive on. Also the route 215/276 loop just outside of Waynesville NC is also fantastic.

An actual driving itinerary is being worked on and I will post it as it gets more finalized. This does leave us lots of time for just hanging out, changing plans, and going back and driving a great road we may come across, or just repeating a drive because it was so much fun.

So lots of driving, east of Asheville NC to give you an idea of the area. It is a ways from the Dragon, if you want to go to the Dragon, we are leaving that up to you to decide if you want to hike over for the day or book yourself a night or two at Fontana.

Cost: Depending on the number of guys going this has a little variation to it. Overall I would like to take a refundable deposit of $50 by February 15th. The deposit is refundable only until March 10th when the full balance is due. That gives everyone about 2 weeks to put down a deposit and 25 days or so after that to think it over and make certain you can attend. The estimated balance with approx 10 guys going is somewhere around $110-125.

This all depends on how many people decide to come. That number may change but we want to keep this super affordable. Food is extra and I know that costs can add up quick when you're burning $40 of gas a day and eating out often. I am not Jason, I do not cook well. Let alone a group, but I do foresee a bit of grilling out together and doing some larger meals.

That said, this is an example of a cabin we are considering. If we get a solid head count number then it will determine our options better. We are looking at several options so we can be flexible with numbers.

Teaser:

http://www.vrbo.com/319145?icid=IL_...0&utm_campaign=10859114_i5ex42r058001jrq001o9

Another option:

http://www.riverwalkvacations.com/photo-gallery

Let me know what you guys are thinking and if you need more information on anything in particular.

Attendees so far:

Nix
@Bruce Bartlow
@Dennis Rockholt

Definitely interested, but I'll have to see what things ate looking like then. I will most likely jave moved in April so we'll see what $$$'s like.

I will definitely won't attend this year event.:sadwavey:

Hey @Nix... you know I'm in! How can deposits be made?

Thanks for catching that greg!

I have to be back to work on the 22nd so I can only be there from the 15-22. Leaving that morning. Others may be staying though the 24th or later....

Thanks for catching that greg!

I have to be back to work on the 22nd so I can only be there from the 15-22. Leaving that morning. Others may be staying though the 24th or later....

Or, if a cabin isn't available, we could always try to stay at Fontana.

Right now, I'm in but it will only be for about half the week, prob Thurs - Saturday. I may plan on driving down Wednesday night (given I'm still living in DE) and meet up somewhere.

You're planning on coming down the 20th or so? I think we may only have the cabin until the 21st or 22nd and that second weekend, Memorial Day, would be rooms at Fontana.

Back