Not quite a Civic... but still fun

how hard is it for a shop to take care of a car and not trash it when you're having work done? good grief.

Nice update. Glad to see the car is getting closer to running well. Infuriating about the paint though! Jeez.

by the time it comes back the tires on it will be too old to safely run

soooo yea.. cars still not running... but it is home now!

Mechanic has been fired, his claims that he had cleaned out and prepped the fuel tank were lies and were the root cause of all the fuel system issues, numerous replacement fuel system components and generally crappy running, trying really hard to not think about the easily thousands wasted there. Before the car was towed from his shop the car has now gotten essentially an entirely new fuel system from tank to injectors.

But when he started tuning the mixture the timing chain tensioner on the left side let go... so i got a call asking permission to source and install oil pressured tensioners as found on the 3.0 Carrera, another thing I had suggested needed doing years ago but was told i dont know what im talking about. So a engine out teardown and rebuild later...

Car is in tune and running, but on the faulty ignition box, has about 15 min of runtime before the box begins to overheat and just shuts down. Mechanic claims he tried to get the CDI+ back on the car but now it suddenly and magically wont hold ignition timing, idle sputters and kicks, timing light shows spark jumping between high advance and retard (none of this have i been able to see for myself), but for the 15 min the original box is running the car runs beautifully. Mechanics immediate response to this situation was that he needed permission to buy a $2500 ignition box... I can source a refurb OEM for ~400

Attempting to source a spare ignition box for the short term so the car is drivable and having a backup. Trying to remotely diagnose what might be wrong is frustrating, but im trying to be responsible and work on the dissertation, instead of blowing off that to go fix the car. Probably wont get the car running any more often than the mechanic did, but at least we arent paying his 150-300% markup on parts to make up for the discounted labor hes graciously charged us

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
on a mission to get my hands on the top sticker
19388688_1361285103927011_8352455061378244989_o.jpg

Last edited:
soooo yea.. cars still not running... but it is home now!

Mechanic has been fired, his claims that he had cleaned out and prepped the fuel tank were lies and were the root cause of all the fuel system issues, numerous replacement fuel system components and generally crappy running, trying really hard to not think about the easily thousands wasted there. Before the car was towed from his shop the car has now gotten essentially an entirely new fuel system from tank to injectors.

But when he started tuning the mixture the timing chain tensioner on the left side let go... so i got a call asking permission to source and install oil pressured tensioners as found on the 3.0 Carrera, another thing I had suggested needed doing years ago but was told i dont know what im talking about. So a engine out teardown and rebuild later...

Damn Ethan! Sorry to hear this. To be honest I'm not sure why he wasn't fired a long time ago (if it's the same guy as when we talked in the past).

yea its the same guy whos been working on this car from the beginning. I figure calling a tow truck to take the car out of his shop sent a pretty clear message

Well I'm glad to hear you guys at least got the car back. If there is any type of review place for that guy, I surely hope you guys give a proper write up. Other people should be alerted to how he handled your car. What a mess.

Tried looking for that sticker and had no luck. :(

ive got a friend who might be able to do a one off vinyl cut for me

taking full responsibility for it is a little intimidating, but im pretty sure i can work out the ignition timing, the rest of the car is supposed to be in perfect tune

@ethlar - You should buy this!

20861804_1624055297607214_5222094402408081100_o.jpg

It's 1986 911 w/ 5spd, red black interior. 85 k on odometer. Runs and drives, just serviced.... old owner, started to remove interior to restore, but passed away.

Soooooo is the shop going to give you a check for all the fuel system parts that were bought because of the retarded mechanic?

@ethlar - You should buy this!

20861804_1624055297607214_5222094402408081100_o.jpg

It's 1986 911 w/ 5spd, red black interior. 85 k on odometer. Runs and drives, just serviced.... old owner, started to remove interior to restore, but passed away.

Wasnt sure at first if you were suggesting the car or the trailer

Soooooo is the shop going to give you a check for all the fuel system parts that were bought because of the retarded mechanic?

unfortunately not, unless we want to hire a lawyer, thats just sunk cost at this point. I do have all the paperwork for the warranties on the parts that have been purchased though. I havent had a chance to dig through the old receipts to see if there was a bill for a fuel tank cleaning anywhere. Something tells me he never touched or billed for it and it was just a in person conversation where i asked about it.

Haven't set a price yet.

This is from the post:

Price, well my friend is working on that, but just putting feelers out.

running and driving 86 Carrera in Guards Red, could potentially be a $30k+ car

air cooled prices are insane

Back