Official Computer Talk Thread

I'm running W7Pro 64 currently on my work notebook. What improvements are there in 8?
As far as I know, there's an improvement with startup speed and performance. It is also easier to manage programs. I wouldn't say it is user friendly like 7, but both os are somewhat similar. The app interface replaces the start menu. I haven't played with any of the apps yet.

This is the new Start menu with all the apps/programs. It is very "tablet" like.
Apps.png

And this is when I open "All apps".
Apps2.png

The desktop is the only thing that is exactly like Windows 7. It has the same toolbar, shortcuts on the desktop, and icons and clock on the bottom right corner.

I'm only seeing release previews of 8 on windows site. Not that I'm looking to change

I'm only seeing release previews of 8 on windows site. Not that I'm looking to change
It's not officially out to the public yet...not until October. Those with MSDN or TechNet accounts have access to the final build right now though.

Yeah. I got this through my school. I only upgraded to 8 because I randomly checked out my MSDNAA account for some software downloads.
Capture-7.png

I guess it isn't officially released to the public because of the graphics driver issue.

I guess it isn't officially released to the public because of the graphics driver issue.
Microsoft is giving manufacturer's time to create their drivers based on the final build, which is why it isn't officially released yet. You may not see a working driver until then.

I don't know about you guys but I'm going back to linux with a windows 7 vm. Apple is too expensive and I hate there recent practices enough to not support them. And I can't find one thing about windows 8 that feels like an upgrade rather than just a change. And I don't like the new ui. Metro should be reserved for mobile devices imo.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Usually its between ubuntu, fedora, and linux mint. I usually use ubuntu though.

so I take it you don't have any programs that have issues running through linux?

No. Between wine and a windows virtual machine I can use all my windows apps.

Well just an update, I went to linux since that last post but started to miss windows 7 so I'm going back. Nothing wrong with linux, windows just runs a little smoother on my laptop. I also play around with android development and while I like how the sdk (software development kit) is self contained on linux it just runs better on windows. I just had one of those the grass is greener on the other side moments (i do that a lot with computers).

I'm guessing you tried to get all the latest drivers? Maybe some aren't available for the laptop?

Yeah, I didn't have any driver issues. Had to manually install the graphics driver though. The only thing that isn't working properly is the cpu scaling. I think its using the cpu properly but its not clocking down when idle. So the fan stays on and it stays hot on my lap. I will however run linux in a virtual machine, just with windows as a host.

Back