Official Computer Talk Thread

first foray into their ecosystem, been aware but hesitated to take the jump cause of cost

im not sure, its definitely been letting things run faster than the netgear orbi it replaced, but i only pay for 500Mbps service

I have 1Gbps service (I didn't ask for it but they kept upgrading my service for "free") but my modem only supports 500Mbps...

Since we have voice through Xfinity... I need a modem capable of that...

This one is $350.. but supports up to 2.32 Gbps

This one is $187 but it's only up to 949 Mbps (per Xfinity Compatibility List)

And lastly they say this Motorola MT8733 is on the Compatibility List but it's $380. It's a wireless router as well (I don't need).

I have 1Gbps service (I didn't ask for it but they kept upgrading my service for "free") but my modem only supports 500Mbps...

Since we have voice through Xfinity... I need a modem capable of that...
[/URL]

This one is $350.. but supports up to 2.32 Gbps

[/URL]

This one is $187 but it's only up to 949 Mbps (per Xfinity Compatibility List)

[/URL]

And lastly they say this Motorola MT8733 is on the Compatibility List but it's $380. It's a wireless router as well (I don't need).

[/URL]
What do you use 1gbps for???

So it’s voip service and not standard phone service? You always say how frugal you are.. why not just use google voice service for your home phone for free instead of paying for voip from your isp? You can even keep your current #. It’s like a one time fee of $20?…to port your current number to a cell provider and then tie it to google voice service. From that point forward your local and long distance phone usage is free (except calls internationally).

google voice is still active? id love to ditch Ooma, barely use it but like having the fallback

google voice is still active? id love to ditch Ooma, barely use it but like having the fallback
It absolutely is available. As long as you don't need international calling, it's free. They have business plans that start at like $10/month

you can get a free # from them, or you can port your # a few different ways depending on your needs. If the number is with Ooma now, you would have to port that number to a cell provider. Most articles I've seen charge $15-20 bucks to port it to like tmobile, att, verizon etc. Once it's ported to a cell company, it can be ported over to google voice and used for free.

So it’s voip service and not standard phone service? You always say how frugal you are.. why not just use google voice service for your home phone for free instead of paying for voip from your isp? You can even keep your current #. It’s like a one time fee of $20?…to port your current number to a cell provider and then tie it to google voice service. From that point forward your local and long distance phone usage is free (except calls internationally).
[Insert Roll Eyes Face]

Yes it's through Xfinity.

Ask my wife... I don't ******* use the "house" phone. She uses it to talk to her mom since the Panasonic "house" phones sound better with speakerphone than her cell phone..

The "house" number isn't a number we give out. Literally her mom is the only one that calls it. My parents have it and if an emergency comes up and we don't answer our cellphones then they would call that. Maybe doctor's offices have it... To call for updates but they can call her cellphone.

I'd just rather pay for the Xfinity Triple Play (Phone/TV/Internet) since she won't change. I've brought it up before.

She uses it to talk to her mom since the Panasonic "house" phones sound better with speakerphone than her cell phone..
You can still have the “house” phone. Google voice can ring that phone. Anyway, I didn’t think about it messing up your triple play thing.

You can still have the “house” phone. Google voice can ring that phone. Anyway, I didn’t think about it messing up your triple play thing.

Yeah I wonder how much I could save with going to a double play (TV/Internet) package.. :think:

She won't ever get rid of the TV service... Remember she's opposite of me (technology wise).

the one near me is kinda like a best buy, but less focus on visual appeal and shopping psychology and just stuffing as much product on the shelf as possible

:think:

G.Skill WigiDash PC Command Panel - 7 inch Touch Display, Up to 20 (5x4) Widget Grid, Customizable Hotkeys/Shortcuts/Widgets, Monitor System Performance (Windows 10 and 11, USB Powered) https://a.co/d/6ZkHBbA

I haven't played Rocket League in almost 2 years.
I want a screen to monitor my temps since I'm anal about that lol
do you anticipate your thermal paste is all going to evaporate or stop working completely mid game?

Back