Official Computer Talk Thread

Liquid nitrogen-cooled Haswell chip hits 6.5GHz

From: http://m.cnet.com/news/liquid-nitrogen-cooled-haswell-chip-hits-65ghz/57587788

The guys from Asrock shows how a 3.5GHz Intel Core i7-4770K CPU can be overclocked to 6.5GHz using a sub-zero cooling setup at Computex.

asrock.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
while it's rather amazing they pulled those kind of gains out of the chip,... it's pretty impractical.

not really :) just pour some liquid nitrogen into your ln2 canister ever 5 minutes :)

Yeah...mostly good for benchmarking and....benchmarking. If you want a fast chip with lower maintenance than every 5 minutes, watercooling wins!

Even in my hot Florida room, my CPU cores stay at 30-33 C idle. Ambient is about 26-27 C [2600K Overclocked to 4.7 for games and 4.4 for daily use. SLI GTX680 Classifieds stay pretty cool as well, room gets super hot though!]

(2 480 Radiators, Noctua Fans, 35x2 pump)

PC talk! :woot:

60C for my CPU and 74C for my GPU are the hottest my temps have been. Of course that's been 100% CPU usage and 100% GPU usage.

My setup I'm usually at 29c but when I start to play games and all that it usually is at 49c. Biggest I got mine up to was 51c

Mine usually hovers at 48°C normal use and 57° with games. That's at 3.8-4.2GHz

sorry to go off topic-ish, but could i get some suggestions on a laptop

wants/needs/guide list -
- backlit keyboard (last one didnt have one, didnt realize how big that was)
- preferably i5 or i7
- $500 - 800 (willing to go absolute max 900 if convincing enough)
- 15" pref, last one i had was 17, i dont know what the hype is all about huge laptop screens. purpose is to transport easily and i had a asus n61jqx that thing was fucken huge
- good battery life is a must but will compromise with speed

notes -
- will be doing some light gaming on it, maybe just league of legends. mostly for browsing and school, ms office ready would be nice
- been looking at this, any thoughts ? http://www.costco.com/HP-Envy-dv6t-Quad-Laptop,-Intel®-Core™-i7-3630QM-2.4GHz.product.100036057.html

sorry to go off topic-ish, but could i get some suggestions on a laptop

wants/needs/guide list -
- backlit keyboard (last one didnt have one, didnt realize how big that was)
- preferably i5 or i7
- $500 - 800 (willing to go absolute max 900 if convincing enough)
- 15" pref, last one i had was 17, i dont know what the hype is all about huge laptop screens. purpose is to transport easily and i had a asus n61jqx that thing was fucken huge
- good battery life is a must but will compromise with speed

notes -
- will be doing some light gaming on it, maybe just league of legends. mostly for browsing and school, ms office ready would be nice
- been looking at this, any thoughts ? http://www.costco.com/HP-Envy-dv6t-Quad-Laptop,-Intel®-Core™-i7-3630QM-2.4GHz.product.100036057.html

In my opinion if you are getting a laptop, I would grab one with a Haswell in it. It's GPU is much better than the last gen (I believe it can run a 4k display I read somewhere) and it's main focus is battery life and mobile performance. Hence why Apple's Air went from 7 hours to 12 hours of battery life (tested at longer - also getting them at work I'll test them out there too!)

Back