Official Computer Talk Thread

Went over my parents yesterday for Memorial Day/Celebrate my sister's birthday (it was the 25th)...

My dad: Can you look at my printer? It's jamming.
My mom: Can you look at my laptop... I can't adjust the volume with the Function Keys...

Me: :rolleyes:

Went over my parents yesterday for Memorial Day/Celebrate my sister's birthday (it was the 25th)...

My dad: Can you look at my printer? It's jamming.
My mom: Can you look at my laptop... I can't adjust the volume with the Function Keys...

Me: :rolleyes:

Lol -- the Technician life.

I forcibly switched my parents to Linux and don't get requests all the time anymore. If they're just surfing and making spreadsheets, it removes so much headache.

Lol -- the Technician life.

I forcibly switched my parents to Linux and don't get requests all the time anymore. If they're just surfing and making spreadsheets, it removes so much headache.
Care to share what version? Ubuntu? Or something else?

Media Server people, what do you use to host your stuff? a NAS?

I thought @ethlar was into media server stuff.
I don't watch movies.... :hiding: but use a buddy's Plex server from time to time lol
yup, hobby turned into probably a problem. I run plex on a ryzen 9 with a buttload of ram, quadro p2000 and 15 drives for the library. Keep telling myself its time to phase out the 8tb drives for 20+ drives but other things distract me. Friend just swapped his server to a synology nas, specific ones are way more powerful and better suited for plex than others but he says it hasnt let him down yet

yup, hobby turned into probably a problem. I run plex on a ryzen 9 with a buttload of ram, quadro p2000 and 15 drives for the library. Keep telling myself its time to phase out the 8tb drives for 20+ drives but other things distract me. Friend just swapped his server to a synology nas, specific ones are way more powerful and better suited for plex than others but he says it hasnt let him down yet
Wow -- I just wanted to host some old 480p anime on mine; Would I need a similar setup?

does it run on some type of raid?

nope, JBOD :hiding:

Wow -- I just wanted to host some old 480p anime on mine; Would I need a similar setup?
no, not initially, i built mine to handle multiple 4k streams, but my plex setup started life on a old laptop with a usb external drive which would probably work for you

Back