Official Computer Talk Thread

couldnt wait for the t440s, so i bought a w530 :) saved a few hundred bucks off with school dc and current deal

Sad that my T420s is nearly 2 generations old already. I finally got a dock for it, well, more for my T430s from work. That way, when I'm at home working, I can span it across my new monitors and have the luxury of three screens.

I spent 15 hours yesterday trying to get this new custom-built computer to actually work for more than an hour, but I'm utterly defeated.
I think it has something to do with this SSD. As soon as I swap out the HDD for the SSD, at some point the OS stops booting up and just sits there with a blank black screen. I'm soo ready to murder a dog over this.

What SSD is it?
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB.
Because everything on the computer is brand new, it's sometimes hard to track down the cause. I decided to reset the MB back to default and only use the SSD in the comp for now. I'll know if this works after Windows finishes updating itself.

I spent 15 hours yesterday trying to get this new custom-built computer to actually work for more than an hour, but I'm utterly defeated.
I think it has something to do with this SSD. As soon as I swap out the HDD for the SSD, at some point the OS stops booting up and just sits there with a blank black screen. I'm soo ready to murder a dog over this.

so the ssd has the OS on it, or you had an OS on both drives? One slave/one master?

so the ssd has the OS on it, or you had an OS on both drives? One slave/one master?
I have a new SSD and my old HDD. I was using both at the same time while installing the OS on the new SSD.
This time I just left off the HDD while I do a clean install. So far so good. I'll reconnect the HDD once I've got everything else installed.

I have a new SSD and my old HDD. I was using both at the same time while installing the OS on the new SSD.
This time I just left off the HDD while I do a clean install. So far so good. I'll reconnect the HDD once I've got everything else installed.
Is it possible that the bootloader never made it onto the SSD, causing failed boots when on its own?

huge difference on speed with the ssd?
I wouldn't say huge, but definitely noticeable. Everything is very snappy.
But then again, I do have 32GB of RAM with a GeForce GTX 690, so nothing is really phasing it right now.

I figured I would ask here since I haven't found a firm answer anywhere else. I have a HP dv6-7000 laptop and have recently been having a thin, light gray, vertical line popping up on the middle of my screen. The line only appears once in a while and when it does, the time varies (sometimes right after startup, sometimes when the laptop has been on for a while). If the laptop is restarted it does show on the loading screen. I never plugged in an external monitor to see if the problem persisted. Although pressing the screen is not recommended, if I lightly rub my finger down the line it does disappear. I have never dropped the laptop nor banged the lid on anything.

Beginning of dead pixels? Loose connector? Something else?

I'd plug it into an external monitor. My guess is the LCD is going bad. I've had some do similar things and it got progressively worse. At least using an external display would tell you if the screen is the culprit.

Back