Official Computer Talk Thread

At work we purchase the T430s laptops they are built like brick s-houses and priced reasonable. With an SSd installed they are very fast machines.

I've backed my 3770K back to 3.7GHz from 4.2GHz. I'm not seeing it unless I'm using the processor to do math operations. But I'm not doing that all the time and when I really need it, just use the high performance computer I have access to and spread duties over 72 3.46GHz Westmere cores.
yeahhh it's all for the benchmarks! :D lowered mine to 4.40GHz right now on i7-960 :) idle temps are less than 23c and load doesn't get much about 28c :D Got to over 40c at 5.1GHz with HT on :p

When go SSD, HDD is no longer an option.
well... 120/240ssd primary, with 2tb wd cg hdd would be cool as secondary. i'm running a 1.5tb green right now which is 64mb cache, 7200rpm sata 6gbit and 120gb mushkin chronos deluxe primary, and it's rolls like a boss :D

I've backed my 3770K back to 3.7GHz from 4.2GHz. I'm not seeing it unless I'm using the processor to do math operations. But I'm not doing that all the time and when I really need it, just use the high performance computer I have access to and spread duties over 72 3.46GHz Westmere cores.

Yeah I don't see a need for the higher speeds. I was fine at 3.4Ghz (stock i5 3570k speeds) but wanted to see if I noticed anything different going up 800Mhz. I don't now. I see higher CPU temps. lol I will back it down probably back to the 3.4Ghz or somewhere around there.

Still loving the Sandy Bridge series. My 2600K used to be at 4.9 Prime stable, figured the temps weren't worth it (this was before I got water - temps were a bit high...) I keep it at 4.4-4.6 (4430 right now) depending on the day. Definitely notice a difference in games where the processor is the limiting factor by bumping it up (sure isn't the SLI GTX680 Classifieds limiting it!)

Yeah I just play BF3. I also fold (folding for cancer research) and I'm folding right now and idling my clans BF3 server.

100% load @ 4.2Ghz (1.248v) 58C CPU temp

Room temp is 26C/78F

yeahhh it's all for the benchmarks! :D lowered mine to 4.40GHz right now on i7-960 :) idle temps are less than 23c and load doesn't get much about 28c :D Got to over 40c at 5.1GHz with HT on :p

What liquid cooling do you have? Definitely not just a closed loop with those temps @ that speed.

Anyone have the H100i Corsair closed loop cpu cooler? If so are you using stock fans? Reason I ask is because they are noisey and suck. I've heard some say Noctura (spelling) but they are pricey ($26/each)...

I want to put a ssd in my macbook pro, but im waiting for drive prices to come down so i can get at least a 500gig since i want to keep my optical drive.

The comp has 16 gigs of ram in it already, a SSD will make it scream

What liquid cooling do you have? Definitely not just a closed loop with those temps @ that speed.

yeah x58 gets real hot! have a high flow 1200L/hour pump hooked to two sets of 240mm rads. have push/pull scythe 110cfm slipstreams on either side. EK full nickel block with that E electron distribution thingy (electroless is what they call it ... i linked pics lol)($120 and it saved me 6c on load lol! amazing the difference a good cpu block makes) running through a nice tiny EK res with 3/8 ID tubing all around on EK comp fittings. Have my two rads sitting at different locations with a through 1200L/hr pump between to keep flow up high. First is on my desk at RT 22c~, second is by AC air vent (central air) with temp probe reading 18-19c after prim. rad :)

Have gotten much better temps in the winter with rads on window sill and condensation wrap. temp probes in rad read 3-5c and load temps weren't much over 18c lol. condensation everywhere tho lol

i'm a benchmark freak :( lol

I want to put a ssd in my macbook pro, but im waiting for drive prices to come down so i can get at least a 500gig since i want to keep my optical drive.

The comp has 16 gigs of ram in it already, a SSD will make it scream
what ram you running? i have my air cooled patriot viper xtreme set running 2300MHz @ 1.67v 6-7-6-20-1T on all 3 modules when in bench mode(12GB total)

just needed to boost VTT on cpu to well over 400mV+ stock haha

makes CPU like 20% hotter but it's sweet on benchmarking. Was like 30th in the world last year on MaxxMem tests :)

Last edited:
Im running G.Skill DDR3 1333 2x8gig. Since its on a mac its running at whatever speeds the computer chooses since i dont think apple lets anyone tinker

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not a benchmark freak. As long as I can play BF3 I'm happy :)

and since it's a console port.. like stock cpu clocks, vtt stock, 4gb single channel ram, HT on cpu off, CF off on all cards, stock clocks and game still plays 50fps lol

metro2033 on the other hand..... well.....

THAT's a well optimized game! :D

GPU killer fosho!

Like many people here, have my i7 system run at 3.7ghz 24x7. Really stable even hot day in summer. :D
3 Digital tv tuners very eat up all my 1.5TB internal and 2TB eSata external.

It got to around 80F in my room today :( door was closed though since don't want the cat to get it on **** **** up (don't think she would tho)

I took my h100i off and put the 212 EVO back on.

66C Max with the h100i (setup as exhaust exiting out the top of case)
71C Max with the 212 EVO (push/pull config)

The 212 EVO is much quieter than the h100i. I just need to configure SpeedFan so that I can control the fans via Windows instead of via the Bios.

I took my h100i off and put the 212 EVO back on.

66C Max with the h100i (setup as exhaust exiting out the top of case)
71C Max with the 212 EVO (push/pull config)

The 212 EVO is much quieter than the h100i. I just need to configure SpeedFan so that I can control the fans via Windows instead of via the Bios.

You have those fans on the H100i at full power? Like a jet engine. Turn them down and it's much quieter. I'm fixing to get some quiet fans.

You have those fans on the H100i at full power? Like a jet engine. Turn them down and it's much quieter. I'm fixing to get some quiet fans.

I did turn them down. Had 'gaming' mode when I was playing BF3 which used the Corsair Link 'performance' mode settings. I had a 'Base' mode when I was just whoring on the forums which used 'quiet' mode via the Link software and I also had an '800RPM' mode.

It was quieter of course at 800 rpms but still for the 6C difference between the two (for now) its not worth it.

$30 vs $90 (I got it on sale - normally $110-$120)

71C vs 66C (@ full load)

I'm doing testing now. I might switch back to the h100i and get some new fans but I don't know. Not worth it as of now in my eyes.

I'm OC'd to 4.2Ghz BTW.

I did turn them down. Had 'gaming' mode when I was playing BF3 which used the Corsair Link 'performance' mode settings. I had a 'Base' mode when I was just whoring on the forums which used 'quiet' mode via the Link software and I also had an '800RPM' mode.

It was quieter of course at 800 rpms but still for the 6C difference between the two (for now) its not worth it.

$30 vs $90 (I got it on sale - normally $110-$120)

71C vs 66C (@ full load)

I'm doing testing now. I might switch back to the h100i and get some new fans but I don't know. Not worth it as of now in my eyes.

I'm OC'd to 4.2Ghz BTW.

I have it on mine. I've clocked back down to stock, but the two fans on the H100i are quiter than the stock cooling option for the processor. If I take it off, my 200mm fan that it was placed instead of will go back in and I'll need a better performing block on the processor.

On another note...I got the GPU (or shall I say GPUs) in my T420s figured out. It would perform terribly anything with better than MS Word graphics were on, slow down miserably, and blow boiling hot air (I know...air doesn't boil) out the back. Apparently the NVS 4200M card was not turned on and the computer was running on the integrated graphics from the Sandy Bridge. Well, there's the problem...now it does graphics, including games quite a bit better and it doesn't feel like it's going to catch something on fire. I just need to refine the settings on it to get my battery life back up when not plugged in. That GPU uses more powa.

After a few days of testing the difference between air (212 EVO) and water closed loop (h100i) is around 10C @ full load multiple hours (12 hours)

I think I'm going back to the h100i but going to find fans for it to replace the stock ones.

I'm back to the h100i with Noctua fans. Much better (quieter and better air flow)

Back