Official Computer Talk Thread

ugh. I know. It's easy to do. I just dont want to.

The main issues started when I tried to rollback from SP3

That never works for me... Its like trying to put a bandaid over something.

Back up your **** and format that *****. Easier.

It really depends how soon you catch it and how nasty it is. It has worked 4 out of 5 times for me in the past few years. Even worked with the FBI virus, which is a notorious pain in the *** to get rid of. I don't have the patience for backup/reformats anymore. If I get super stuck, I call a friend that does PC repair for some specialized software.

i like combofix for the hard to get rid of issues, but combifix can be risky, ive heard of people messing up their drive cause they tried to do other things while it ran

Last edited:
lenovo has a deal on their y500. was looking into getting it. im not a hardcore gamer, maybe just a little bit of LoL and would like to watch some hd movies on and such.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y500/ for $879
anyone think i should jump on this ? it ends soon and i need a laptop for college. i was lookin into beefing up a t430 (but it would end up being ~$1200 with an i7, 8gigs ram, NVIDIA NVS 5400M, and some other small things.

thoughts ?

lenovo has a deal on their y500. was looking into getting it. im not a hardcore gamer, maybe just a little bit of LoL and would like to watch some hd movies on and such.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y500/ for $879
anyone think i should jump on this ? it ends soon and i need a laptop for college. i was lookin into beefing up a t430 (but it would end up being ~$1200 with an i7, 8gigs ram, NVIDIA NVS 5400M, and some other small things.

thoughts ?

Y500 looks like a good price for the computer but Lenovo puts stuff on sale a lot.

The T-series are a good business computer (speaking from my T420s and T430s experience). The Quadro 5400M is miserable for gaming type graphics. Let it run the business renderings. When you spec a computer from Lenovo, skimp on the RAM and hard drive and buy some afterward if you want more. They charge WAY too much for that stuff.

Last edited:
Y500 looks like a good price for the computer but Lenovo puts stuff on sale a lot.

The T-series are a good business computer (speaking from my T420s and T430s experience). The Quadro 5400M is miserable for gaming type graphics. Let it run the business renderings. When you spec a computer from Lenovo, skimp on the RAM and hard drive and buy some afterward if you want more. They charge WAY too much for that stuff.

:yeahthat:

Luckily with most of them like stated above you can upgrade the ram and HDD yourself -- just get some stuff on sale at NewEgg.

Last edited:
Do they provide restore discs instead of HD partitions? If you're upgrading the HD yourself... I'm guessing they make it easy to reload your OS and such from discs? The last few laptops I fixed had hidden restore partitions on the HD to recover the system.

Do they provide restore discs instead of HD partitions? If you're upgrading the HD yourself... I'm guessing they make it easy to reload your OS and such from discs? The last few laptops I fixed had hidden restore partitions on the HD to recover the system.

You get a partition that can create restore discs.

I OC'd my i5 3570k last night.

From 3.4Ghz to 4.2Ghz. :excited: (Didn't notice a difference)

Last edited:
I OC'd my i5 3570k last night.

From 3.4Ghz to 4.2Ghz. :excited: (Didn't notice a difference)

I've backed my 3770K back to 3.7GHz from 4.2GHz. I'm not seeing it unless I'm using the processor to do math operations. But I'm not doing that all the time and when I really need it, just use the high performance computer I have access to and spread duties over 72 3.46GHz Westmere cores.

I've backed my 3770K back to 3.7GHz from 4.2GHz. I'm not seeing it unless I'm using the processor to do math operations. But I'm not doing that all the time and when I really need it, just use the high performance computer I have access to and spread duties over 72 3.46GHz Westmere cores.

Still loving the Sandy Bridge series. My 2600K used to be at 4.9 Prime stable, figured the temps weren't worth it (this was before I got water - temps were a bit high...) I keep it at 4.4-4.6 (4430 right now) depending on the day. Definitely notice a difference in games where the processor is the limiting factor by bumping it up (sure isn't the SLI GTX680 Classifieds limiting it!)

What would you :nerd:s recommend for someone needing a new computer? :giggle: Nothing super expensive. Under $1000. A laptop I can use for school, work, play. Who's making the best stuff out right now?

My dell is approaching 5 years old and just isn't cutting it anymore.

Last edited:
I'm not big on Apple. I just recently turned away from the iphone after 4 years. Very nice, quality products. Just not for me

generally i recommend Lenovo's business level products like the thinkpad T series, theyre built like tanks and easy to upgrade

Last edited:
generally i recommend Lenovo's business level products like the thinkpad T series, theyre built like tanks and easy to upgrade

I can't say I'm very familiar w/ Lenovo but I'm liking what I see. They seem reasonably priced and everyone seems to like their durability.

There's definitely nothing about this dell that has me wanting to go out and buy another. It's been solid overall...... but not w/o its fair share of annoying problems.

What about Toshibas? I have a friend with one, who loves it. But aside from that, I really don't know much about their products/quality.

toshibas are pretty decent, as usually are sonys acer and asus, id avoid HP. The only issue i saw a lot with toshibas when i worked for a computer store was the power socket in the computer was held in by a couple thin fins of plastic, high use machines would just need their socket glued back in place

I can't say I'm very familiar w/ Lenovo but I'm liking what I see. They seem reasonably priced and everyone seems to like their durability.

There's definitely nothing about this dell that has me wanting to go out and buy another. It's been solid overall...... but not w/o its fair share of annoying problems.

What about Toshibas? I have a friend with one, who loves it. But aside from that, I really don't know much about their products/quality.

Never was a fan on Toshiba's keyboard placement. Always felt off. But they're often good computers. My folks have had their Toshiba laptops for something like 7 years with no problems, which cannot be said for my brother or me who have gone through several HP and Dell computers in that time.

Back