Out of curiosity does your mileage get slightly better as it brakes in?

Is the traffic slower due to the weather, are you letting it warm up past 30 sec., do you sit in traffic/drive throughs, are you playing with where the power points are while driving, do you speed from one light to the other??????????
All of these will drain your mileage. I'm not sitting in a cold spot but my winter mileage only drops about 3-5 from summer, low has been 30mpg - high 36 town ; 36 - 45 highway.
Traffic has been terrible to and from work since I've gotten the car, I basically drive 40 minutes home in first gear the whole way. I'm hoping that the traffic, winter gas and brand new motor are to blame but man... i drove my maxima under the same conditions and it was getting 11L/100km, whereas my civic gets 12 at best. I just cant understand how my brand new civic is worse than a messed up 12 yr old v6. Hopefully it improves soon

Yeh, the mileage that's quoted on the sticker is always going to be under the "BEST" of conditions by pro drivers that get paid to get those results...........

if you can't get out of 1st gear...that is killing your mileage as well. You might as well be in a parking lot. That's not driving.

Traffic has been terrible to and from work since I've gotten the car, I basically drive 40 minutes home in first gear the whole way. I'm hoping that the traffic, winter gas and brand new motor are to blame but man... i drove my maxima under the same conditions and it was getting 11L/100km, whereas my civic gets 12 at best. I just cant understand how my brand new civic is worse than a messed up 12 yr old v6. Hopefully it improves soon

Yeah that's what I'm getting. Good to hear I'm not the only one.

Don't be too discouraged- right after I filled up and only drove a few city trips I was averaging mid 17s.

I drive my car every day, but take the bus to work. 6:30am I head to the gym which is .9 miles away and then back- the cold light usually goes off as I pull into the JCC. Now I'm averaging 24.9mpg. Yeah, I'm not happy but it's better than what my Subaru got and it's on regular gas.

@NoMoreNissans 2nd gear is really versatile in this car, try to get out of first if you can and use 2nd more. I bet your consumption will drop :santadance:

Don't be too discouraged- right after I filled up and only drove a few city trips I was averaging mid 17s.

I drive my car every day, but take the bus to work. 6:30am I head to the gym which is .9 miles away and then back- the cold light usually goes off as I pull into the JCC. Now I'm averaging 24.9mpg. Yeah, I'm not happy but it's better than what my Subaru got and it's on regular gas.

@NoMoreNissans 2nd gear is really versatile in this car, try to get out of first if you can and use 2nd more. I bet your consumption will drop :santadance:

I agree 2nd has a nice pull if you don't come to a dead stop.........

I drive 70 miles a day to and from work and I average 30mpg. While i'm driving on the freeway most of the time I'm in bumper to bumper traffic since I drive with the rest of crowd towards downtown Los Angeles. I did noticed a slight increase in fuel consumption after a few thousands miles.

I really do think it was just the garbage traffic. I finally got a chance to take it on the highway at full speeds last night for a while and after the trip i saw I was getting 28mpg on average. Huge improvement from the 18 i was seeing before. Once the motor breaks in and we get back to summer gas I should easily be in the 30's, like I'm supposed to be :)

I have around 2,500 km on it. Started at maybe 10l/100km but now I'm able to drop it down to 8.9. Econ off.
The drop is probably because I'm getting better at driving stick though (bought standard and learning from the bottom with this car)
I heard its a good idea to pay a little extra to flush the oil pan for the first service since the sharp edges are kinda just pieces in a new engine. Can anyone verify this?

I'm frustrated with mileage as well since my buddy claims he's making at max 8.0 city with his BRZ

10 liters = 2.64 gallons
100km = 62.1 miles
23.5 mpg

8.9 = 2.35gallons
26.4mpg

my mileage was at 8.9 for a while and now its jumped up to 9.7L/100km. I'm at 2500km, kinda sucks how my mileage seems to be getting WORSE as the motor breaks in. I don't understand how people are claiming 35 average mpg in some threads, I can't even break 30mpg on the highway with econ mode on if i tried. It's like some of these civis are defective or something, I don't even drive aggressively

What speed do you travel on the highway? What psi do you run your tires? Are you hand calculating those figures, or are you going off what the car is saying you're getting for gas mileage?

I've been going off what the car tells me, so that leads me to believe that my mileage is probably actually even worse than the cars own biased caluclation

Highway speeds are about 100km/hr in winter since everyone slows down a bit

I havent filled the tires since Ive gotten the car, but I've only owned it since christmas. What psi would you recommend?

I've been trying to break the car in properly by running it through all the rev ranges, as discussed in some other threads here. I redlined it for the first time last week at 2500kms, and my mileage has gone down since then. Probably a coincidence but something tells me I dinked part of the motor

Your motor is broken in by this point. Are you running winter tires? I see you're in canada. The recommended pressure from honda is 32psi. Also, I've had times where my dash mpg was 4 mpg lower than what it was hand calculated at the pump. They aren't 100% accurate by any means.

I've got winter tires on yes, and I realize winter gas is worse for mileage. But I just can't see these 2 issues accounting for me getting such awful mileage. I'm way below the Honda values for city driving, even though I'm mostly on the highway.

I don't mean to be a whiney complainer, but it sucks hard to see SI's bragging about 30+mpg, while I'm in an LX and haven't seen 30mpg yet. And im conciously TRYING to keep gas consumption low too, I dont even wanna know what my mileage would be if I were rippin it around having fun.

I'll check my tire pressure

Honda fit forums reported 3-4mpg loss on winter tires alone. I haven't really seen anyone report a difference on the 9th gens

I've got winter tires on yes, and I realize winter gas is worse for mileage. But I just can't see these 2 issues accounting for me getting such awful mileage. I'm way below the Honda values for city driving, even though I'm mostly on the highway.

I don't mean to be a whiney complainer, but it sucks hard to see SI's bragging about 30+mpg, while I'm in an LX and haven't seen 30mpg yet. And im conciously TRYING to keep gas consumption low too, I dont even wanna know what my mileage would be if I were rippin it around having fun.

I'll check my tire pressure
I'm just like u. I get V8 millage and I don't beat it at all.

Yup this tank right now I'm around 22.3.

Since November I've been averaging high 24s save one highway-intensive tank at 30.8. I can't be mad though, it's cold, winter blend gas is here, I have snow tires on, and I moved to the hilliest part of the city and drive pretty intensive city except when I go to my parents and get some suburb driving in.

Last night I drove as carefully as I could, coasting while in gear, accelerating slowly, shifting out of 1st gear ASAP, and I averaged just below 30mpg, half city half highway.

Not bad I guess, but I was driving like a complete granny. I bet with summer gas and summer tires on I'll be able to get 30mpg while driving a bit more spiritedly.

One of my main issues I think was holding 1st gear until like 3.5k rpm. That eats gas every time you start from a complete stop. Now I'm shifting into 2nd right away and it seems to help

Back