Pet peeves. Let's hear them.

"People who stay near the stop line and don't move into the intersection to wait for an opening in traffic to turn"
@Pauly99to17

I'm going to have to quote the law on this one.......... You're not allowed to inter an intersection unless you can proceed though it. Not only is it illegal, but it can cause grid-lock, and could cause an emergency vehicle to be blocked as well.

As much as I understand from where you are coming, I don't like when people crowd intersections, it leaves them vulnerable to the other people that roam our roads.

I don't have any problems staying back and pacing the motion of the traffic so I can move though the approaching gaps.
Also, there are peeps that will pull out like they are going then stop again, which causes the follower to move with them, which can lead to a string of cars blocking an intersection, and worse a rear-ender.

I know why it bothers you, because if they move up you can get up behind them and be across the line so when the light changes you'll be (legal?) to run the light since you are pass the line. If all goes well you'd probably get away with it.

When people stay at the line and the light goes yellow, they just sit there and nobody makes the light. If people pull up to the middle then, not only is it quicker to get through oncoming traffic, but it also means 2 or 3 people can get through on the yellow light. I don't know about the stipulations of the law, I just know common sense and what is safe. It is much safer to be in the middle of the intersection waiting for a clearing in the traffic than way back at the stop line. Back there one will need much more time to get across and thus a bigger clearing in oncoming traffic. This is not efficient and will back up the turning traffic unnecessarily.

All this being said, I have to say that I live in Quebec and the French don't drive like North Americans, they drive like Europeans: much faster, more aggressive and bend all the laws. Speeding is so prevalent here that I can go through a highway radar trap at 120 km/hr in a 100 zone and not get pulled over. Usually, one would have to be doing 25 km + over to get a ticket. In other provinces the "acceptable" speeding zone is only 10 km over. Many people here don't use their signal lights, even police. People don't do proper stops. Cars are prioritized over pedestrians (pedestrians must wait for an opening and run. Not being from here, I used to stop for pedestrians, but almost caused several accidents because drivers were caught off guard by my actions). It took a long time for me to get used to here, and it used to annoy the hell out of me, but I prefer it now. After driving in a fast, "spirited" way for so long I don't have the patience to drive slowly and carefully anymore. I know how stupid that sounds, but you would have to live it to understand. The system is backwards, but it works because everyone knows the rules....Be aggressive.

Having lived(driven) in the UK(London) for over 3 years, I agree with you on the driving style of the USA vs EU. I loved driving in EU/UK, much more than the peeps here. One thing that's forced on EU/UK drivers, is the rules of the road and the skills to do it correctly.
But with 55 years driving under my belt, 30 years as a professional driver. I can say there's a lot of people here that think they know the rules of the road, but don't even come close. Every State I've had a license for, I've read not only the driver booklet but the States' regs on the rules of the road.

Round abouts > 4 way stops
I love round abouts (at least in the UK), they don't have any where I live now.
4 way stops are ok if peeps knew how to use them, but many don't know the rules of the road, so they make a simple 4 way a pain for everyone.

When I was driving in the UK I'd look forward to finding a RA, it's like skiing though trees and the trees move.

* People who do not use turn signals
* People who drive at the speed limit in the fast lane (or slightly over the speed limit)

That's it for now. I have to think of more lol

When I'm passing someone with cruise control on and then as I just about completely past their car, they go zipping by me on the inside. Like, wtf seriously? They had to easily increase their speed 10mph to pass like that.

Mine has got to be - seeing an extremely chopped up classic like an s2k. and people that drive 30 in a 50, they get vtec'ed quick

vtech-vt20-2431.jpg

Left forearm. This guy loves phones....

vtech.jpg

The people turning right or making a right on red that jump over both lanes so the person trying to turn left at the light can't make it without hitting them...happens all the time where I'm at.

The people turning right or making a right on red that jump over both lanes so the person trying to turn left at the light can't make it without hitting them...happens all the time where I'm at.

That's back to knowing(and doing) what the rules are............ People that turn right are suppose to stay in the furthest right lane, and/or stay in the same lane they turned from....... same with left turners, stay in the left most lane.
I'd add the ones that are making turns l, or r, and they have 2 turn lanes, and can't stay in their lane knowing there are cars beside them.

Me, driving on a road with 2 lanes going in the same direction, there's a car, way ahead pulling out to turn right, in front of me. If he does it correctly he will stay in my right lane. Problem is so many ppl don't do it correctly, if they did the cars coming up on this could move to the left to go around, instead of having to drop off the flow to see which lane he's going to pick, now the flow is messed up and peeps are jockeying for position.

Reactions: Nix
OMG you found a pic of the ultimate Honda! It says Vtech right on the front!

Back