Rasky's work! :)

id prolly be willing to spend around $200.

also, what are your thoughts on foaming the car before even touching the body? is it routine with every job you do ?

Foaming is something I'll do in the summer months when possible, but it isn't necessary. It helps loosen the dirt up before I go back and hit it again with the pressure washer. The more dirt you can get off the paint before you actually touch it the better.

I still need more details to put a kit together. Do you plan on polishing? Interior? I would need a list of specific tasks you want to do in order to put a list together.

im still very new to detailing in general so any suggestions that you would do to your own vehicle would help also.

at the top of my head areas i plan to hit are : interior, exterior (body wash), wheels, scratch touch ups, wax (liquid/spray if possible), polish.

1)im a bit unsure of polishing and waxing because i hear that polishing slowly takes away a layer of paint while waxing adds a layer and im just a bit scared of whatever may happen.
2)for the interior work, i kinda puked in my car a few months ago and got stains on the back of the driver seat. was wondering if you knew of any way to get rid of that. i went to delta sonic but the best they couldnt do too much.
3)for the body work what i want to get rid of most is the light scratches that are on it, my friend bumped his golf bag on my fender and left a small but noticeable scratch. and my dad would sweep off snow with a hard brush broom and left light scratches. so i pretty much just want to get rid of that.
4) and also, do you have any suggestions on washing during the winter? i feel like touchless will have to do during winter. im from the suburbs of chicago so i cant really hand wash it with the salt and snow

sorry if i overdid it a bit =P thanks a bunch Rasky !

im still very new to detailing in general so any suggestions that you would do to your own vehicle would help also.

at the top of my head areas i plan to hit are : interior, exterior (body wash), wheels, scratch touch ups, wax (liquid/spray if possible), polish.

1)im a bit unsure of polishing and waxing because i hear that polishing slowly takes away a layer of paint while waxing adds a layer and im just a bit scared of whatever may happen.
2)for the interior work, i kinda puked in my car a few months ago and got stains on the back of the driver seat. was wondering if you knew of any way to get rid of that. i went to delta sonic but the best they couldnt do too much.
3)for the body work what i want to get rid of most is the light scratches that are on it, my friend bumped his golf bag on my fender and left a small but noticeable scratch. and my dad would sweep off snow with a hard brush broom and left light scratches. so i pretty much just want to get rid of that.
4) and also, do you have any suggestions on washing during the winter? i feel like touchless will have to do during winter. im from the suburbs of chicago so i cant really hand wash it with the salt and snow

sorry if i overdid it a bit =P thanks a bunch Rasky !

I think you need to up your budget. A lot of these questions are really involved and would be hard to answer without seeing your car in person, like the interior stains. I'll do what I can to help but I think you really need to spend some time on the detailing forums searching and reading. Autogeek has tons of good information as doe the ask-a-pro blog I'm on.

1. Polishing does abrade away small amount of clear coat, but generally it's not an issue unless you are getting very aggressive with your polishing (Heavy compound, twisted wool pad, and a rotary buffer). Generally you can safely remove .3-.5 mils from the factory paint before you have to worry about having issues. Waxing adds a super thin sacrificial layer of product which diminishes over time. How long depends on the product, but generally natural waxes will last 1-3 months and sealants will last 4-6 months.

2. This article should help

3. Smack your friend and take the broom away from your father! Both have likely done extensive damage to the paint, some of which may be too deep to safely remove. You will need a polisher to fix these issues, I'd suggest getting a DA style polisher like the Griots Garage GG6 DA.

4. Winter washing articles.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/winter-washing-with-optimum-no-rinse-onr/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/how-to-safely-wash-your-car-in-the-winter/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/wash-and-wax-in-60-minutes-featuring-optimum-no-rinse/

thanks for your input Rasky!, i was wondering on your thoughts on me using scotch guard cleaner and protector. im not sure if it varies from car to car on whether to use it.

Never tried the cleaner but there are better protectors out there.

BMW 740Li New Car Prep and CQuartz Finest application

This car was a referral from the recent pair of new BMW's I did for another owner. I had asked the owner to instruct the dealer not to touch the car outside of the required PDI work and it was brought to me the day after delivery. As you will see by the pictures, no dealer prep doesn't always guarantee a defect free new car. For the most part the car was in great shape with only some adhesive residue from the protective wrap and light swirls. There where however a few isolated scratched areas and a long scuff about 1 inch high the extended from the rear wheel well to the front wheel well.

Process:

Wash - ONR
Wheels - Sonax Full Effect
Tires - OPC, dressed with Megs Hyper Dressing at 3:1
Decon - IronX, TarX, and mild clay
Paint correction - D300/MF on isolated areas, whole car with OPT Hyper Polish on the DA with OPT MF Finishing pads
Coating Prep - IPA wipe down follow by Eraser wipe down
Coating - 2 coats CQuartz Finest on paint, trim, lights. Accelerated curing with IR lamp. (Wheels coated with Opti-Guard)
Glass - Megs D120

Before pics
20121101-DSC_2195.jpg

20121101-DSC_2203.jpg

20121101-DSC_2197.jpg

20121101-DSC_2191.jpg

Adhesive from protective wrap
20121101-DSC_2199.jpg

The was a nice sized "Love Tap" on the rear bumper cover
20121102-DSC_2209.jpg

20121102-DSC_2210.jpg

Beginning on the scuff that ran down the passenger side of the car...only small portions of it show up as the narrow beam of the light hits it. (rear quarter/bumper cover)
20121102-DSC_2211.jpg

Quarter panel/rear door
20121102-DSC_2212.jpg

20121102-DSC_2213.jpg

Rear door
20121102-DSC_2214.jpg

Front door
20121102-DSC_2215.jpg

20121102-DSC_2219.jpg

Fender
20121102-DSC_2220.jpg

Scratches on the hood
20121102-DSC_2221.jpg

20121102-DSC_2222.jpg

Sonax doing work
20121101-DSC_2206.jpg

The small holes on some BMW wheels are hard to clean with lugs brushes and such. LOL...a clip from the movie "Dude Where's My Car" actually gave me this idea one day. :)

I take a small wooden or plastic dowel (old paint brush here) and wrap a MF cloth around it.
20121101-DSC_2207.jpg

20121101-DSC_2208.jpg

Temp/Humidity in the shop prior to coating
20121104-DSC_2229.jpg

After pics. Sorry, no outdoor or sun shots were possible.
20121104-DSC_2262.jpg

20121104-DSC_2259.jpg

20121104-DSC_2257.jpg

20121104-DSC_2256.jpg

20121104-DSC_2254.jpg

20121104-DSC_2250.jpg

20121104-DSC_2247.jpg

20121104-DSC_2246.jpg

20121104-DSC_2244.jpg

20121104-DSC_2243.jpg

20121104-DSC_2242.jpg

20121104-DSC_2237.jpg

20121104-DSC_2236.jpg

20121104-DSC_2234.jpg

20121104-DSC_2231.jpg

20121104-DSC_2252.jpg

I did shoot an application video but haven't had a chance to edit and load it up yet. Hopefully this week though. :)

Thanks for looking,
Rasky

Would love to see more of your work. You should also include how the owner liked the job!

I'll need to load images up into Photobucket first...it takes a lot of time and the forums have been flooded with new detailers posting their work and the "Showcase Your Work" threads have lost their spark over the last year or so and I've lost the motivation. :(

I'll see if I can't get some pics posted up for you guys this week though...

...and my clients are always happy with their cars! :thumbsup:

Back