Resonator Deleted

I did this along with a K&N filter, this was a cheap upgrade!!! canot believe all the crazy plastic tubes for this stock intake!!!!!!!! anyways, what would be the difference in this setup and an after market cold air/short ram intake??? Im guessing it would be the amount of cold air that you get in, and this is doing just that right? or is the stock design to rough and restricts the air an aftermarket intake would take in? any help would help

Mostly color, the bling factor of a shiny new intake tube under the hood. I'm sure the SRI/CAI are a little smoother inside but unless you are really increasing the diameter you are probably pulling close to the same amount of air. Using the stock airbox top where the MAF sensor sits will prevent check engine light from coming on unless you run some sort of reflash to accommodate any change in the diameter of the intake.

There have been DIY Ghetto intakes where some dremel work and fitting a cone style filter to the stock airbox housing have worked pretty well and either method saves you $200-ish or more.

The r18 doesn't pull that much air so you should feel some improvement with the resonator delete, I don't know that you would gain much more changing to a full on intake.

I was guessing that was the case. I did feel a big difference when I did this mod and will not be buying an aftermarket intake any time soon, if ever

If anyone is really that concerned about water and extra dirt, you can cover the remaining tube hole with some sort of mesh grill. Also, if you do an ECU reset by disconnecting the battery, does the radio get screwed up? I did this on my S2000 and never got the radio working again. (Too lazy to go to Honda)

you will lose your preset radio stations anytime the battery is disconnected. You have to put the radio code in to get it functional. You should have a code from your dealership when you bought the car. You may find it on a sticker (stuck on the side of your glove box), or it may be stuck with your owners manual.

if you cannot find it, you can use Honda's site to retrieve it
https://radio-navicode.honda.com/

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgfRmBo7Pu0

Thanks, Webby. I just finished this mod, only took me about 11 minutes or so. I disconnected the battery for about 30 seconds, then reconnected and let the car run. However, the radio was fine. I still had all my presets too. Thanks for the write up.

OK I just took a few mile drive after the mod. This is just the mod, stock filter. Up to 3000 rpm there is no difference other than a swooshy noise. In fact I felt a definite decrease in throttle response. But from 3500 to 5500 rpm there is a noticeable difference in sound and throttle response. So there may be a slight sacrifice in off-the-line performance. Maybe adding the K&N filter will improve things. I will have to see.

Performance wise, better throttle response. Cosmetic wise, nice grunt at about 3.5rpm. Correct me if im wrong.

I've always heard to just stick with a performance designed intake. Some of what resonators do is just muffle loud noise...but they also help shape the whp curve in certain RPM ranges. I don't completely understand the physics but basically has to do with certain amounts of pressure at certain RPM ranges resonating a certain way in the box. I remember hearing on certain cars you can lose low end torque, although in this case I've never seen numbers to prove it like on other cars. If you like the sound that's great but I'd really consider switching to something specifically designed for this application and with performance numbers to back it up.

The aftermarket intakes show very little gains. Nowhere near what the intake manufacturers claim. Art is probably the best out right now gain wise. The sound between the two is pretty similar between the delete and intake.

The aftermarket intakes show very little gains. Nowhere near what the intake manufacturers claim. Art is probably the best out right now gain wise. The sound between the two is pretty similar between the delete and intake.

Yeahhhhh

Listen I'm not saying deleting the resonator isn't any good, I'd just prefer to see some dyno results before doing it.

i just did the delete today, definitely sounds better now, and response and eveything feels better, but im such a noob that this could be my mind just thinking it.

so after you remove it, what did u guys do? do you just remove it and leave everything as is? or i was reading in another thread someone turned a pipe or something...right now i just removed it and left it as is.

ok thanks. i was also reading that some people removed it and use a k&n filter now, is that recommended? should i change my filter too?

a number of users go with the k&n drop in filter. It's essentially a cheap aftermarket intake setup

http://afepower.com/shop/details_ne...el=Civic Si&year=2012&engine=2.4L&&brandID=78

looks similar to installing this on your car if you ask me, which seems to use the stock resonator pipe, which i love that they refer to it as a "stock ram air system" when you see the diagram of the stock setup, you realize it's just a box with a snorkel that gets jack-all for air, and would need the resonator removed anyway

i'll most likely be doing the res delete + k&n drop in as soon as i get my car (this afternoon WOOT! 27 minutes till arrival!) although a res delete + this "intake box" might not be too shabby, most likely an improvement over the K&N simply because its a larger surface, conical filter... although not worth the $$ imo

Back