Si all motor question

Browsing the other site, there is an all motor Si making 257 whp with 91 octane, their about to tune it for e85 and pick up a few more whp

Browsing the other site, there is an all motor Si making 257 whp with 91 octane, their about to tune it for e85 and pick up a few more whp
I'll bet he made over 200whp completely stock on whatever dyno he's making 257whp. It's not possible to be making 20-30whp more than everyone else with all the same parts. You'd need more compression and/or more lift in the cams to squeeze that much extra power out of this thing NA. Every single person with the NA parts available to this car have made around 220-230ish wheel horsepower. That's what the limit is on pump gas right now, assuming the car dynos at 160-170whp completely stock.

Every single person with the NA parts available to this car have made around 220-230ish wheel horsepower. That's what the limit is on pump gas right now, assuming the car dynos at 160-170whp completely stock.

Caveat emptor: This applies to regular gas. E-85 will produce more power.

Every single person with the NA parts available to this car have made around 220-230ish wheel horsepower. That's what the limit is on pump gas right now, assuming the car dynos at 160-170whp completely stock.

Yes, different fuel outside the stuff generally at the pump can possibly yield better results. With E85, be prepared to get about 18mpg.

Reactions: Nix
Yes, different fuel outside the stuff generally at the pump can possibly yield better results. With E85, be prepared to get about 18mpg.

E-85 is pump gas. It is available at most gas stations.

Roughly a 15% reduction in fuel efficiency if I recall correctly. Of course the aggressiveness of the tune could lower that.

When you say "most gas stations," do you mean more than 50%? It may be the case, but where I live, regardless of whether or not there are an equal or greater amount of gas stations with E-85, they are all out of the way in very inconvenient locations (it may be different where you live). E-85 is about as readily available as ethanol-free gasoline (which is not very common). "Pump gas" is understood to be the gasoline you can get at 99% of the gas stations you'll ever come across. E-85 is understood to not be among this category of fuel. You can get race fuel or JP-8 from a pump, so are they also "pump gas?" Come on, man. You know better than to make a statement like that.

When you say "most gas stations," do you mean more than 50%? It may be the case, but where I live, regardless of whether or not there are an equal or greater amount of gas stations with E-85, they are all out of the way in very inconvenient locations (it may be different where you live). E-85 is about as readily available as ethanol-free gasoline (which is not very common). "Pump gas" is understood to be the gasoline you can get at 99% of the gas stations you'll ever come across. E-85 is understood to not be among this category of fuel. You can get race fuel or JP-8 from a pump, so are they also "pump gas?" Come on, man. You know better than to make a statement like that.
I'm not sure where you're located, but e-85 is readily available in the Chicago-land area, and i'm sure it's the same for any other very populated areas.
Very good site here for locating stations
http://www.ethanolretailer.com/flex-fuel-station-finder

I think it's safe to say that the expression "readily available" is fairly subjective.

Just trying to spur conversation really. I was actually curious to see if others would chime in on how readily accessible E-85 is for them.

I was waiting for the racing fuel to come up. We have 3 or 4 stations in the area with it. Otherwise, E-85 is readily available in my area. Probably 75%+ gas stations carry it around here. Of course, I also live in one of the top 75 Metropolitan areas in the US. We only have one station in a two county area that carries fuel without ethanol.

I think it's safe to say that the expression "readily available" is fairly subjective.
Subjective to where you're located, yes.
I was just talking about my area.
I know it isn't as common in other parts of the country, and in those areas I'm sure it wouldn't be practical to use e-85

I always hear rumors of places with ethanol-free gasoline, but I don't investigate because its such a hassle anyway. As far as E-85 goes, I don't think I've ever seen a pump that had it at any of the places I go. I'm sure someone has it, but they're somewhere off the paths I stick to.

This is kind of changing lanes a little, but still on the same road: I don't see the point if using E-85 at all. It's bad for your car, it yields lower mpg numbers, and isn't it more expensive? If I was more concerned with power than fuel economy, I would have gotten something with more cylinders and displacement.

That site can't be accurate. I know I've seen it around the area, but it's saying I'm over 100miles from the closest e85. I'll have to pay attention next time I'm filling up.

isn't it more expensive?
It is actually cheaper. Usually by 30 cents a gallon or so. That was the point of the push from the government with rising gas prices. The tradeoff is do you save 15% or more in cost relative to the 15ish% loss in fuel economy.

I cannot comment on if/how bad it is for your engine.

E-85 is pump gas. It is available at most gas stations.

Roughly a 15% reduction in fuel efficiency if I recall correctly. Of course the aggressiveness of the tune could lower that.

"E-85 is pump gas. It is available at most gas stations."
WRONG! E85 is 85% Ethanol where "pump gas" is E0 (AKA real gas), E10, or E15. Each is readily available in most areas. It is exclusively for "flex-fuel" vehicles (aka gas hogs) which typically get about 33% less than on e10
It sounds like some of us are confusing 85% gasoline/15% ethanol with 15% gasoline/85% ethanol. Assume Warranty is toast as Owners Manual (p234) Notice specifies gasoline with 10% ethanol maximum.
Might be great for racing, with modifications to ECU (Flashpro) + parts (injectors, higher pressure fuel pump), but for everyday use you better live near a station and not travel far from it. Reminds me of my friend in Charleston, SC with a new 1970 Chevelle 454/450 who had to travel 60 miles to get Sunoco 106 octane and could drive about 80 miles around town before heading back to fill up. Trips were a planning nightmare.
Admittedly a dated article http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html but the results are relevant today.
My closest station selling E85 is between 25 and 50 miles away (per 323 entry) or $7+ in gas just to get there and back. On a nationwide basis perhaps 1 in 50 stations have E85.

Reminds me of my friend in Charleston, SC with a new 1970 Chevelle 454/450 who had to travel 60 miles to get Sunoco 106 octane and could drive about 80 miles around town before heading back to fill up. Trips were a planning nightmare.

I was at a local track last week, and they were charging $11/gal for that (leaded). :ohnoes:

"E-85 is pump gas. It is available at most gas stations."
WRONG! E85 is 85% Ethanol where "pump gas" is E0 (AKA real gas), E10, or E15. Each is readily available in most areas. It is exclusively for "flex-fuel" vehicles (aka gas hogs) which typically get about 33% less than on e10
It sounds like some of us are confusing 85% gasoline/15% ethanol with 15% gasoline/85% ethanol. Assume Warranty is toast as Owners Manual (p234) Notice specifies gasoline with 10% ethanol maximum.
Might be great for racing, with modifications to ECU (Flashpro) + parts (injectors, higher pressure fuel pump), but for everyday use you better live near a station and not travel far from it. Reminds me of my friend in Charleston, SC with a new 1970 Chevelle 454/450 who had to travel 60 miles to get Sunoco 106 octane and could drive about 80 miles around town before heading back to fill up. Trips were a planning nightmare.
Admittedly a dated article http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html but the results are relevant today.
My closest station selling E85 is between 25 and 50 miles away (per 323 entry) or $7+ in gas just to get there and back. On a nationwide basis perhaps 1 in 50 stations have E85.

I stand corrected on the mileage reduction, but the 15% price difference is about right (got it backwards in my head I guess). I think what I was recalling was that the price difference has never been enough to justify the fuel (in)efficiency difference.

Onto some semantics issues. If it contains gasoline, how is not pump gas? It is bought at a gas station. It comes out of a pump. It fuels passenger vehicles. At what ratio does it no longer qualify as gas even though it contains gas? Yeah, Yeah, I know it could be argued that gas is the additive. My point is, most people view it as pump gas and aren't going to know or care to know the difference.

1 in 50 nationwide average is better than the ratio of gas stations I can find in my area that carry 100% pure gas. We have 1. Ein. Uno. Probably have 1000+ gas stations in a two county area also. E85 is easily had without going out of ones way.

The e85 pumps I've seen in Atlanta clearly say 85 percent ethanol and warn you to only use it in flex fuel automobiles! I don't know about everywhere else,but it would be hard to mistake it.its a nice attempt but,the mileage is horrible,I took a SUV once to Ohio that was flex fuel,omg... Never again.

Back