Si all motor question

The e85 pumps I've seen in Atlanta clearly say 85 percent ethanol and warn you to only use it in flex fuel automobiles! I don't know about everywhere else,but it would be hard to mistake it.its a nice attempt but,the mileage is horrible,I took a SUV once to Ohio that was flex fuel,omg... Never again.

Just another thing to show how horribly our politicians are in the pocket of lobbyists. Drives me nuts. It is actually considerably cheaper to refine switch grass into ethanol than corn. Just some food for thought (pun intended).

Containing gasoline and being distributed through a fuel pump for passenger vehicles does not make it "pump gas." Pump gas is a colloquialism, not a scientifically calculated substance. It's what most passenger vehicles would put into their fuel tank and it generally comes in 87, 89, 91, and 93 octane and contains as much as 10% ethanol (nowadays). E85 is not considered to be pump gas by anyone I've ever met who uses the expression "pump gas."

the government push for ethanol was just a way for the government to subsidize farmers and keep them from going bankrupt under the guise of reducing dependency on foreign oil.

the main reasons you don't want to run e85 in a car not designed for it:
  • Ethanol is a drying agent, which means in cars not designed for it (especially older vehicles), E85 will dry out rubber lines and seals and cause them to crack and disintegrate.
  • Ethanol is a solvent, which makes it great at cleaning stuff. in old gas tanks and fuel lines, any stuck dirt, debris, or sediment (along with the pieces/residue that come off of your rubber lines) could come loose and clog lines, fuel filters, or injectors
  • Ethanol is attracts and combines with water. the high moisture content is bad for iron and steel parts and can cause corrosion and reduce fuel economy (because the water is taking up space normally reserved for gas, and thereby reduces the energy density of the fuel)

Just pour a cup of diesel in the tank and you should be good to go.

Back