Teacher Chat Thread...College, Elementary, Middle, and High School

Organizing a ski trip of 55 students. Why can't parents read and send in the proper amount of $.
These parents fail.

You are not only expecting them to read something, but also to take an interest in their child's life...

put in my paperwork to teach undergrad classes this summer, im a little nervous since its to actually be the instructor not a TA

thanks, i wont find out till pretty much the last minute, the department evaluates what classes they need to offer, and which profs want to teach them, anything left over is distributed to the phd students who have masters.

Hopefully they have at least some of the course materials prepared because if not ill have at best 3 days to put together course materials

thanks, i wont find out till pretty much the last minute, the department evaluates what classes they need to offer, and which profs want to teach them, anything left over is distributed to the phd students who have masters.

Hopefully they have at least some of the course materials prepared because if not ill have at best 3 days to put together course materials
Is there anyone who has given the class that you could talk to and ask about materials/plans? Might as well start getting ready now. ?

put in my paperwork to teach undergrad classes this summer, im a little nervous since its to actually be the instructor not a TA

You will be fine. Having the TA experience will help. Prep time will make all the difference in the world. I try to teach from the perspective of being a student as opposed to an entrenched professor that just gets up and does a lecture. The more you can get the class engaged, the better it will go. Do not beat yourself up when you see students doing bad. Let the grade distribution inform you of how the class is doing as a whole. Not everyone is going to be an A/B student. Not everyone will pass.

Thanks guys, it should be a good experience. Ive actually never TAed before either so this is totally new for me, ill find out which class id be teaching when they tell me if theyll need me to teach, but there should be materials for it somewhere i can get my hands on when i get assigned a class

image001.gif

Got the email from my program director, I'll be teaching Work Measurement for Summer 1. I have a friend whose taught it before and will share his materials with me.

So far there are 6 students enrolled

:nervous:

I will be teaching two grad classes this summer. One per summer session at 6 weeks a each.

Sent out a message to my class that only non-programmable calculators will be allowed for the final and one student asked if I meant a graphing calculator. She then asked that, if that was the case, would I be supplying calculators. :pat:

Hahaha...poor girl.

:tap:

Got additional questions from students and had to follow up with this:

Acceptable Calculators:
  • Standard/Basic calculator
  • Texas Instruments BAII Plus (or equivalent) financial calculator
Unacceptable:
  • Any programmable calculator
  • Any graphing calculator
  • Any scientific calculator
  • Any calculator with more than a single line of display

And I still had to take away three calculators.

I have now had three students ask me to bump their grades, give them an opportunity to do more work, or earn extra credit so they can raise their grade. :banghead:

Back