TPMS sensor meltdown

K-Dubs

So, I had my winter wheels removed and the OEM wheels put back on my car this morning. Drove around with no problems for about 15 miles, then all of a sudden, the TPMS system is having a meltdown and I have warning lights all over my dash and iMid. I thought that once the sensors were initialized, they would not need to be done again. Am I going to have to fork over $50 to have the TPMS sensors reinitialized at the dealership every time I change between my snow tires/wheels and my OEM tires/wheels? That's not cool, and it's making me quite grumpy.

Sadly, yes. Honda needs to program the oem tpms sensors to work again. Each time you swap it has to be done. The only other option is looking into a tpms tool that lets you do it yourself. I've seen them for like 150-300ish dollars. I can't be I much help suggesting one over another though. I've never tested them personally.

I thought it would re-calibrate after a few miles. :confused:

yeah, unfortunately it doesn't. I was looking into this same situation with winter tires. Other honda forums all said the same thing.

I'm sorry, but that's crap. When I had the tires swapped, the guy at the shop tried to hook up his handheld, but then realized that he only could do it through the 2010 models. As far as I was told and found online when I got my winter wheels, once you initialized them once it was done for good. This makes me a really peeved Honda customer. I don't want to pay the stupid dealership $50 twice a year for doing basically nothing. Grr...

That link says 2008 and 2009 models only. :(
yeah, I just wondered if they haven't updated their page, or if it really doesn't work on models past that. Might be worth an email

I looked into it some more - looks like the tool would work, but you may also need the HDS. The ATEQ vt15 is $110 at Tire Rack. http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=169&category=Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - but then I found this: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2012/4dr/17inchwheel.pdf - which says that even with the VT55 (which can access the ECU according to the manufacturer's website), you still need the HDS.

I was looking at a couple of threads on another forum, and they have conflicting info. I'm looking at this: ateq tpms reset tool - which says that you can just use some TPMS reset tool to switch back and forth once the sensors are initialized once. It seems that problem isn't in the sensors though, it's in making the ECU in the car recognize the sensors. I agree with the other posters on that thread - shame on Honda for making this so difficult!

hunter from tirerack has stated that the ateq vt15 will not work on the 8th civic, as it requires you to have honda still set the ECU.

the ATEQ’s VT55 has an OBDII connection. Again, it's pointless to guess if it doesn't even work on the 9th gen models.

View: http://youtu.be/gzPQueC6moM

it's not just a honda thing - all vehicles have this since.. 2007 (I think was the government mandate)

Indeed... but Honda and Toyota specifically use sensors that are impossible for the DIYer. Many car companies are using sensors that will automatically initialize. I'm also disgusted that even the dealership thought I would only have to do it once, and could switch back and forth without having to reinitialize every single time. This is so stupid, and is about to get very expensive.

no clue if you're near any other dealerships, but I'd call around and see what other dealerships charge. I've seen people on fit, oddysey, pilot... forums where they knew a worker at a dealership. Some said they get theirs done every time for free by knowing the right people, or like 20 bucks. Some have said they paid like $90 per visit. So cost obviously varies greatly from one place to another.

The Quickset tool - http://www.tpmsoutlet.com/at-tpmquickset.aspx - is what I need because that allows you to plug your laptop into the car and make the updates. Problem is, you still need the vt15 to get the numbers off the sensors. This is now up to $300 in tools. I'd prefer the ease of doing it myself, but not at a ridiculous cost. I may go into the dealership and raise heck and see if they might at least drop the price (especially when they know I have to have it done twice a year). Or, I might sell the car and buy something else. I'm so disgruntled right now! I guess I should be happy that the dealership only wants $50... Others have reported a price of $100-$200 for initializing the stupid sensors.

In the meantime, duct tape over the offending lights seems like a good plan. :)

Oh, and Tire Rack used to sell that Quickset tool, but stopped because they had too many problems with it. They advised someone to just suck it up and pay for the dealership to do it until something better is available. Multiple people have reported success with the tool with the Civics, though.

There are other dealerships in the area (at least 4 others within an hour of me), but I doubt the price will get much better. I do know the new car manager at the dealership where I got the car... I might stop in and talk to him and see if he has any suggestions.

shot you a pm, hopefully you can get somewhere with your dealership

a less glamorous solution could be to only use the tpms in your summer wheels and put up with the lights the other half of the year. It may also be possible to pull a fuse or two that control the tpms system to clear the lights.

looked into the fuse thing myself - sadly doesn't work by removing the tpms fuse because the ecu is delivering the dash warning.

I threw the guy at honda a 20 spot on a sat and he did mine...some ones gotta be grimey there and want some side money

you could also take the tpms sensors out of the wheels, throw them in a piece of pvc pipe, epoxy endcaps on both ends and put a valve stem in it. Pump the tube up to 32 psi and throw it in your trunk, never have to worry about tpms lights again

Back